HDMI port not working

O/S - Windows 11 Home
O/S Release - 22H2
FW Laptop - 12th Gen Intel Core (DIY Edition)

Happy with my laptop, received Oct 2022. Often use it with a Samsung display using the FW HDMI port I ordered with the laptop. Worked flawlessly until about the last 2-3 weeks. Laptop screen started spazzing slightly, while 2nd display still worked. Then 2nd display just won’t work at all. I need a 2nd display quite often for the purpose of this laptop (personal and volunteer work).

I have a Dell laptop for work that I use the same HDMI cord and the same HDMI port on the Samsung monitor, and all of that works fine, no issues. So it must be something to do with my Framework laptop, whether it’s a driver (did an Windows Update but not fixed), or the FW HDMI port, or worse, something internal affecting the display.

Please help!

FrameworKC

You’re not the first person to experience this, but I have yet to see a solution posted to the forums. Best I can offer is to contact support as I have mentioned in other threads.

if your Dell laptop has a USB-C port it may be worth quickly testing your HDMI expansion card on the Dell laptop to make sure it isn’t an issue with the card. You may also want to test the HDMI expansion card on all four ports on your Framework.

1 Like

update! I reached out to FW Support and got this reply:

We understand that you’ve tried to troubleshoot the issue. To make sure that nothing has been missed, would you please perform the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Using your HDMI expansion cards would you please try using all four ports and see if you will encounter the same issue on all ports?
2. Install the latest driver bundle using this link: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (12th Gen Intel® Core™)
3. Check if there are any pending or optional windows updates & drivers & install them.
4. Install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant tool, this will help resolve the issue that you have. Please check it here: Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
5. Check the Device Manager, expand the USB controllers, and check if drivers are installed properly or have a warning message on them, send us photos for us to review and for documentation.

I’m happy to report that step #2 resolved my issue! My HDMI port is working again! Yay!

3 Likes

I was not able to get the HDMI port to work in the bay I wanted to use, but I swapped it to a different bay and now it works. It doesn’t appear to be an issue with it being seated correctly; I pulled it out of the defective bay and reseated it and it still didn’t work. I also swapped a USB-A to the defective bay and that worked fine. It seems to be the particular combination of the HDMI port and that particular bay that is defective on my machine.

I have one of the new AMDs. I’ve had it for less than a day so far.

1 Like

@William_Sturgiss - see the last post in this thread: [RESPONDED] Display Output only working on one Slot - #6 by Matt_Hartley

2 Likes

@lbkNhubert Thank you! This behavior is expected then! This helps a lot.

2 Likes