High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

On the hardware side I am planning on doing power measurements on the various subsystems by instrumenting the hardware as a second pass to see where we could save additional power.
One helpful item that might be possible to look into via software is why no hardware drips in C10 to see if we can root cause C10 residency.
I would suspect some on chip device or peripheral is keeping the system awake or interrupting the system too often.

1 Like

@RandomUser interesting, maybe. Do you have cortana enabled?

I agree. I reworded what I said to make that more clear.

I’m simply saying that even with the problem you have a fully functional laptop.

1 Like

Solid advice I would suggest to anyone on Windows.

Tools like Windows10debloater are awesome for removing some of the ‘fluff’ that comes prepackaged with the OS.

That being said, what’s your experience removing Cortana? I haven’t done so on my FW yet. I always understood that to break Windows Search functions due to it being baked so deep into the OS now…

1 Like

I haven’t experienced any search related issues after removing it. (I have removed it on 5 different PCs without issue so far.) Just remember that enterprise builds don’t have Cortana at all, and windows functions great for them.

Something interesting I noticed, right after I closed the lid the fans ramped up and they didn’t stop for a while… I don’t know if any of you have experienced that

Using the updated beta drivers I’m seeing the above, and the culprit is the SST driver.

I am getting barely 50 minutes on average of standby time before the 5% threshold has been met, with the SST driver being the culprit 100% of the time.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to improve this a bit? I saw someone else was getting 2.5 hours, which I would happily welcome at this point.

Looks like: 10.29.0.5541

It was what was in the driver bundle. Is there a newer version I should use?

I was reading that Intel SST is for voice activation and stuff. Is it possible that the driver thinks it is supposed to be using the microphone array to listen for a wake command?

I did have to rewrite the install bat file to force the driver to install, because it was skipping the installation portion of SST. I wonder if I missed some installation condition and SST is now simply installed wrong.

@2disbetter I did the same thing with modifying the bat file to install SST and I’m not seeing any issues. Maybe try a reinstall?

1 Like

I reinstalled using the driver bundle executable, and this time SST was installed when the audio drivers were installed. But still dealing with less than an hour of standby time before entering hibernation.

Let me ask this real quick:

When I’m using the computer I like to have music on in the background. So almost every time I’m using the computer there is an audio player (Musicbee on Windows, and Lollypop on Linux) active. I of course pause the music before closing the lid.

I’m wondering if this is an issue. Are any of you listening to music just before going into standby?

This is possibly it. If you close the music application before suspend, does that change the behavior?

1 Like

Thanks! I closed it, and it is suspended now. Will edit this post and post the results.

Edit: This appears to have been the problem. I just slept the machine for an hour and a half and it was still sleeping when I lifted the lid. The sleep study report shows that SST is no longer the source activity keeping the computer from deeper levels of sleep.

I’m going to experiment just to be sure, but it seems like you just need to close any music player before entering standby. Pausing the music doesn’t seem to be sufficient, as it will keep the audio driver polled and active.

1 Like

I spent two days debugging my Latitude 7420’s high drain during modern standby due to intel SST. It would never enter HW driven modern standby (HW low power state time was 0%) I fixed it by disabling “Waves Audio Services” and " Waves Audio Universal Services" in services.msc. I wonder if this would fix this drain case for the framework laptop. I went from 60 minutes draining 5% to 8 hours draining 5%.

EDIT: per @RandomUser these services do not exist on framework. ignore my post.

4 Likes

Seems to keep tracking in the tests I’ve run afterwards. However, one thing I’ve noticed is even if you have closed all music players, if you have headphones attached to the headphone jack, it will still keep SST active, and you will get less than an hour of standby before hibernating.

Once SST is sorted the main battery drain seems to be USB A cards installed.

See below; Lines 234 and 237 are where I removed all USB A and just had two USB C cards. This achieves 320 and 306 mw of drain, the lowest I have seen on this thread, which is borderline acceptable imo for modern standby (though nothing compared to the 125mw/hr of the 2021 spectre x360). This is compared to 850-1000mw of drain per hour (the other lines) with 2x USB A and 2x USB C cards installed. Can anyone replicate?

2 Likes

8 hours of stand by before hibernation would be awesome!

So far it seems that the USB A, HDMI, and storage expansion cards are the source of the draining. Hopefully this helps to figure a solution.

I just got my batch 3 laptop. I’m experiencing excessive drain under the Windows 10 21H1. I’ve tried the latest drivers, the beta drivers and UEFI as well as uninstalling the RealTek drivers.
When asleep, my laptop will fully discharge to 0% battery.

The wake timer could be the issue, but it is not the sole issue as far as standby being interrupted because of Windows goes. If you have audio playing or if an audio application is even open it can poll the device preventing standby. (To be clear this is a Windows issue and not a Framework issue.)

But if you closed the lid and the device really drained to 0, something else happened, and I would ask what applications you had open. Something interfered.