High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

I’m also getting a pretty bad case of this it seems. 2.5wH in 35 Minutes def isn’t great.

This seems to be the main offender.

I switch off sleep, fast start and hibernation. No power drain at all.

I’m either using the laptop…or I’m not. Fast NVMe means it’s back up in seconds.

I’m not called on that often to hack into some bomb system with 12 seconds to go…

1 Like

Update for BIOS 3.09 – no apparent differences in standby drain (as expected).

1 Like

This is what hangs my laptop up. Haven’t seen any solutions out there for it and it prevents modern standby more often than not.

1 Like

I don’t recall Framework officially responded to the ‘expansion card power drain while in sleep / suspend’ issue here.

Looks like they can’t fix it / improve the situation.

I’m waiting to see if adopters of the 12th gen mainboard also see similar drain behaviour.

Also curious to see how sleep drain is on the 12th mainboards. Here’s one datapoint that shows 5% drain across ~5 hours with 2C, 1A, 1HDMI which looks like a decent improvement.

I don’t have a 12th gen Framework mainboard…but for a field comparison with other 12th gen laptops, I have the Asus Zenbook Pro 15 Flip OLED…it’s drained 3511mWh in 10h30m in standby (Network connected standby). (It has 2 TB4 ports, 1 USB-A, 1 HDMI, 1 microSD card slot and a headphone jack) So around 0.335W…

1 Like

For those that don’t feel like doing math .33W would drain the framework roughly 3% in 5 hrs

1 Like

A LTT video about framework came out today that actually mentioned that they apparently figured it out an a fix is incoming. Take that with a grain of salt but it is something.

Link with timestamp: Should I take back my $225,000? - YouTube

1 Like

Not sure if that means fixed in the 12th gen, only. Or also possible to be fixed for the 11th gen.

With a 12th gen Framework, 32GB of RAM and a WD SN850, but all USB-C, Windows reports a sleep consumption of ~450mW so far…

1 Like

What does powercfg.exe /sleepstudy return as the reason for this? This seems reasonably good though at 1wH/2 Hours, so over a 12 hour period only 9% of your battery would be gone (still high but less so then others to myh understanding.)

1 Like

That’s good to know. 11th gen systems have similar sleep consumption when used with USB-C only. (337mW was reported earlier in this thread. Personally, I’m getting 415mW, or 4158mWh over 10 hours)

The drain issue we’ve been seeing really comes from the USB-A and / or HDMI expansion cards when ‘plugged into the laptop’ (with no other peripherals plugged into those cards).

@Shiroudan what kind of reasons do you mean? I only know of indicators for not reaching those kinds of numbers. Sleepstudy simply shows no problematic components for me.

(Also I am coming from from a Comet Lake Dell XPS 15, which had 1.5W in sleep and is going through Windows 5% battery allotment in 1h40. And that with a 86Wh battery. So for me this is already a huge improvement).

1 Like

Fyi, I have measured the DP, HDMI and USB-A dongles with a USB-C Voltmeter on my 12th gen(no idea how accurate the measurements are but I would expect the magnitude to at least be correct).
So I have the voltmeter plugged into the C-module and then the ones under test.

USB-A, as expected has no power draw by itself. As per the USB-C spec, the dongle only signals a legacy port (with a resistor), which leads the USB-C port to put 5V on the Vbus lines, which on USB-C ports remain dead until you plug in a device. No power draw, as there is nothing attached to Vbus. So if that causes higher power consumption for Framework it should be sth. like a driver issue or an issue of the voltage regulators powering it being inefficient at it.

The DP dongle shows a power draw of 0.005W, after shortly drawing 0.06W.
The HDMI dongle shows a draw of 0.07W after a second or so. It started out with 0.1 I believe. Both seem wasteful, as the dongles should do nothing when the FW is sleeping and nothing is connected, but low enough themselves so that there would have to be some other cause on the mainboard or in SW.

2 Likes

Thank you for getting the detail and laying out the issue clearly :slight_smile:

Holy… my FW just went to hibernate after 1h50 with the HDMI module in. Shows High Definition Audio as the culprit FX device and basically no HW sleep at all after I plugged the dongle in (this was after the FW went to sleep).

Now reconfirming without reboot and all USB-C again…

To my understanding (base on what I see with my 11th gen unit), the cards themselves don’t draw a whole lot, if anything…but it’s something that the existence of the card that triggers some internal power draw within the laptop.

3 Likes

Yeah, it seems to trigger wake timers during sleep. Because of this I am hopefuly this problem can be fixed via software/firmware!

2 Likes

Fingers crossed.

The 12th gen board seems to have this situation under control:

1 Like