11th Gen BIOS 3.09 Beta release

Updated with LVFS from Fedora 36. No issues so far. Took maybe 5 minutes.

4 Likes

Everything worked, used fwupdmgr update, took 5:49min. Now full battery, going to let the laptop in sleep mode for 12h to see how much battery loss there is.

First impressions are good. Fingerprint scanner feels snappier and more accurate, on the older bios it took 2 or 3 turns before my fingerprint was recognized. Now it works the first time.

Also my external monitor gets recognized immediately after boot and hibernation, before I had to unplug and replug (usbc to dipslaylink cable).

Using Archlinux, I3WM with LUKS encryption.

3 Likes

One strange thing I found was that post bios update my laptop cannot seem to enter a sleep state. The screen turns off and the power button flashes, but the battery keeps draining at a enormous rate and the laptop gets HOT (almost burned myself when I took it out of my backpack. I never experienced this problem on 3.07/3.08.

This proabably isn’t BIOS though as I just recently updated from Windows 11 Insider Beta preview to developer preview. Sleep Study also doesn’t update any more.

Yes I noticed the drain and heat in 3.07 and 3.08 though too.

I wouldn’t put it to sleep in a bag, only on the desk when I frequently visit, else it’s hibernate.

1 Like

My observations of sleep in Linux have been rock solid. Windows was problematic, with Windows sometimes acting like it was sleeping but thinking it was cool to still be awake to work on updates or other nonsense. I got around worrying about this on Windows with hibernation.

I operate essentially the same under Linux, but standby time is greatly improved. I see about 1-3% drain per hour, with 1% being the the average. I have had the computer sleeping for 8 hours to come back to only 9% drained. That, to me, is great standby battery life.

Sadly most of the issues I had with my Framework seemed to be Windows oriented in nature. Life under Ubuntu and running Windows in a VM has been pretty excellent.

4 Likes

Not seeing differences in standby drain on Windows (only one datapoint though). This is with 1 USB-C, 2 USB-A, 1 HDMI cards.

3.07:

3.09:

2 Likes

Adding to the list of successes - updated from 3.06 - 3.09 via fwupdmgr on Fedora 35. Also went ahead and updated to Fedora 36 as well. So far so good.

1 Like

Me neither. Still same old, same old; rather high drain (1w+) when I plug in USB-A or the HDMI expansion card.

I have the same problem (Fedora 36)
after the reboot im still on 3.07

It seems that I successfully upgraded the BIOS from 3.02 to 3.09 by LVFS. Though I see the left-ctrl - Fn key swap setting was reset.

$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

My environment is

• Fedora 36
  • Kernel: 5.18.10-200.fc36.x86_64 (uname -r)
  • Window manager: Sway
  • fwupd version: 1.8.1 (rpm -qf /bin/fwupdmgr)
  • LUKS encryption - Yes. Maybe. The sudo cryptsetup -v status luks-XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX printed the /dev/mapper/luks-XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX is active.

Here are the detailed command log and photos: Upgrade BIOS from 3.02 to 3.09 on Fedora · junaruga/framework-laptop-config Wiki · GitHub. Hope it helps.

1 Like

It this BIOS update supposed to put Windows 11 into Test Mode? If so, how do I disable test mode?

It didn’t for me.
Test mode disables driver signature enforcement. To disable test more (and therefore require signed drivers), you can do this from the command prompt:

bcdedit /set testsigning off

The test mode message is kinda new to Windows and informs the user that driver signing enforcement is disabled. You’ve disabled driver signing in the past so that you could boot up using an unsigned device driver, disabling test mode may make it difficult to start your computer up. If you’ve never done this, then you should be clear to disable test mode.

2 Likes

I regret to report that I’m having the same issue. What pains me is that I can’t seem to narrow down exactly what the issue is. Am I missing a step for DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk? I tried (with no success) both with and without the hashtag in uefi_capsule.conf (which already said DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true).

Just to clarify:

1. The Framework Laptop battery was not fully changed, AND it was plugged in with a USB-PD adapter, and the Framework Laptop was charging. Correct?
  2. fwupdmgr update was executed without any error. Correct?

Without the hashtag is the correct entry.
(Hashtag acts as a comment / ignore line indicator)

Updated from 3.07 to 3.09 using LVFS on Manjaro. Ran fine, but I did have to boot from my install media and rebuild grub. Then booted into the BIOS and reset my power light to low and max charge to 90%.

FYI, you could give the F3 boot option a try. It allows you to navigate your EFI partition for an EFI payload to execute (in this case, you likely will find the grub efi in one of the directories on the EFI partition). i.e. No need to bring out an install media.

Once booted into your linux environment, you just need to grub update IIRC.

1 Like

The “Test Mode” watermark has existed since at least Windows Vista, possibly earlier. :slight_smile:

The InsydeH2O Windows updater should not be enabling test mode.

1 Like

Thank you for the correction. You’re right; the test mode message has been around for some time.

They were exploring the System Requirements Not Met message a few months ago.

Just barely updated to firmware 3.09. I use the grub bootloader in efi mode on arch linux. No issues with the update and I didn’t have to do anything to grub settings. I updated via lvfs.

edit: now it worked, it seems that i forgot to remove the # in the conf file or didnt safe it correctly. now all the ports arent working but im trying the workarounds mentioned in this thread.
everything worked, fedora 36 with luks encrypted / home, unencrypted efi and boot, secure boot was enabled all the time

this also worked for me, thanks!