High CPU temperatures at low utilization

Hey, per the topic, I’m getting quite high (I think) CPU temperatures when playing Helldivers 2. I expect this isn’t the only game that does this, but this is where I noticed it.

My CPU temperature is hitting 95+C almost instantly upon turning the game on. I’ve seen it get as high as 98C. When idle, it sits around 50-60C. The CPU utilization though is only 32%. I do have the dedicated GPU option and I’m running the 7940HS CPU.

Here’s a screenshot of the AMD Adrenaline overlay showing the CPU util and CPU temp. This also occurs on Linux, so it seems to not be OS-specific.

I have ruined GPUs in the past by letting them run too hot, so I’m hoping to figure out what’s going on quickly before something goes wrong. That is pushing a little too close to the max 100C operating temperature for comfort.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 082117 (2)

How’s the CPU PWR?

Ya odd it’s not showing CPU power (it shows it for both GPUs). My guess is that it’s primarily one or two cores that are boosting up really high so you’re Temps are high even though you only have like a third of the CPU utilized.

I’ll add CPU power to the graph and get another screenshot today hopefully. Are these safe thermals though, or should I really try to do something to reduce that? I already tried lowering the max FPS, reducing the graphics settings, and increasing the fan curve to blast the fans higher, sooner, but no real luck there

Ok, got the info. 30W of power
Screenshot 2024-04-14 173218 (2)

How is the fan noise? Does it sound like both fans are spinning at full blast when it is running this hot?

As far as I can tell, no. I believe they’re spinning at like 80% speed probably.

I’ve gone ahead and reached out to FW support, since these temperatures are being reached without any modifications to my system. I got those temps on a clean installation of Windows 11 with only the Framework 16 Windows drivers, Steam, Helldivers 2, and Adrenaline. That’s it. I would expect it to throttle long before reaching those temperatures, but it’s not

Could be low thermalconductivity, maybe the liquid metal is not fully applied?

The CPU on this device doesn’t use thermal paste, it uses liquid metal

If the CPU util is 61% and the power is 27.7W, 90C is expected(the actual utilization is about 61% X current clock speed / base speed), it’s being said that the CPU is designed to run straight to the wall, turbo boosting until hitting 100C then reduce boost to maintain an almost constant 100C or slightly below, which result in power consumption at TDP and sustained frequency at base frequency. Whether this is healthy in terms of longevity is another topic though…

1 Like

As Charlie said, this is expected, and well within design tolerances!
I’d rest well assured, I’ve heard of GPUs failing due to high heat over prolonged periods, but never CPUs.
I assume that this is due to differences in packaging size and method.

1 Like

So essentially, it’s doing what it was designed to do, and I can not worry so much?

This does help, thank you. It sounds like I can just chill a bit knowing that this is intended?

temperatures are just not a good indicator of anything with these CPUs. You should run benchmarks to see if everything is working fine. I get 900 points in cinebench24 with 7840HS

1 Like

What about if it’s staying at 100 C? Is that still fine? All of the AMD blogs are saying 95 C

Case 1: CPU is power limited, it’s burning 45W at 95°C you get 900 points in Cinebench 24
Case 2: CPU is thermally limited, it’s burning 44.9W at 100°C, you get 899 points in Cinebench
Case 3: The thermal interface is broken - e.g. not enough liquid metal - your CPU is burning 20W at 100°C, you get 400 points in Cinebench

Case 1 and 2 are almost the same performance and the limited warmer temperature is no reason to take action.
Case 3 is a problem, but temperature alone is not enough to see if there is a problem or not - only a benchmark will tell.

Ooh, thank you for the breakdown! I’ll cinebench today hopefully!

I got 825 points in Cinebench 24 MC and 96 SC. Is there enough variance in the scores that that wouldn’t indicate a problem, or is that enough to show that there’s something wrong with the CPU? It’s the 7940HS btw. Idk if that one’s supposed to have higher performance or not, but I would guess it should at least a little