How do I place Framework 16 Macropad into QMK bootloader (flashing) mode?

Introductory rant, can be skipped
I bought a new Framework 16 with Macropad intending to configure it according to my specific needs. I tried to use recommended way of doing this ( VIA (frame.work)), but this web-based software is both limited and buggy. The fact that you can’t do per-key RGB control is limiting, but the fact that it does not even allow me to assign some keys without any explanations is plain inexcusable. For example, for reasons that I do not understand, it just ignores my request to set the lower right key as Enter.

Problem definition
OK, being a software engineer myself, at that point I decided to go the QMK way. I have read this topic which contains a step-by-step guide in one of the answers: Custom QMK firmware? - #14 by MJ1
The problem I am facing is this: the guide explains how to place Framework 16 Keyboard and Numpad into bootloader mode, but it does not explain it for Macropad. Has anyone successfully placed the Macropad into bootloader mode and if yes, can you share exact sequence of actions to accomplish that?

OK, I found a solution to the problem. Here is a specific sequence that will work regardless whether you have a short circuit protection on or off in BIOS:

1. Make sure keyboard, macropad and touchpad modules are all connected to the laptop
  2. Power up your Framework 16 laptop
  3. Connect external USB keyboard
  4. Remove touchpad module
  5. Remove Macropad
  6. Press and hold a Macropad button located right under the top left button
  7. Reconnect Macropad, do not release the button you are holding
  8. Reconnect touchpad module while still holding the button
  9. Macropad will now show up as a removable disk drive in your OS

The things that I was originally missing when trying to place the Macropad into the bootloader mode:

1. The magic key is only documented for Numpad, but not for the Macropad
  2. Unless you made changes to the BIOS, following default instructions is useless because when you reconnect the Macropad while holding a magic key, it will actually not be powered up (and therefore will not enter bootloader mode) because the laptop powers all modules down unless all of them are connected, and since the touchpad is disconnected at this point, you won’t achieve anything.

So the trick was to keep holding the magic key until you also connect the touchpad, because at that point Macropad gets power and enters the bootloader mode.

Now, if your BIOS has default settings, you can skip steps 5,6,7 and simply remove the touchpad, press and hold the magic key, then reconnect the touchpad, because by doing so you are effectively power-cycling the Macropad too.

Welcome to the forum.

There are 3 methods that I can think of for entering bootloader on the macropad, they can be found here

Yeah, Via can be quite annoying like that.

Have you seen the openRGB port a community member made?

If I recall, I think it doesn’t do per-key at the moment. If so, perhaps you could help fix that part.

It has been updated to support per-key support, but the β€œLED View” names are odd, and the keymaped LED locations are odd with the keyboard(s).

1 Like

That’s great!
Now that you mention it, that sounds firmilar. I might have read that, but forgot.

I have hacked together some macropad firmware. It doesn’t use QMK, it is built on top of TinyUSB.

Github here:

I added wires from TP9 and TP13 on the RP2040 PCB and connected a 2k2 resistor and a switch between them. This can be used like the β€˜white button’ on the Pico. Press button, power on and the RP2040 enters mass storage mode.