How is the new CNC top cover?

For anyone that installed the new CNC top cover: how was it been? Is it worth $90, and does it really make the laptop feel that much more premium?
I’ve only seen a couple people talking about it here on the forums.

I’ve been really unhappy with the build quality of the stock top cover. It flexes too much and creaks too. I’m wondering if the new top cover is worth it.

Thanks!

I didn’t notice much of a difference, fwiw, but I didn’t notice any issues with the original cover either.

1 Like

I still have one that I need to install. I put dbrand skins on my cover and I don’t want to loose them just yet. But I beleive the never cover was made to address the very issues you mentioned.

1 Like

Is the 12th gen default the CNC cover?

Yes the CNC cover is default on 12th gen. For a comparison it has slightly more flex than the lid on a Thinkpad T480s which uses a completely glued in bezel.

1 Like

In my case, I’m very happy with it, regarding the “premium feel” I don’t notice any difference, but I don’t care about the feel to be honest… as soon as the laptop performs good and has a good price I’m happy.
When I bought the CNC cover I did it because for me it was too flexible and now is much better, I would say a 50% better but if you’re expecting that it will turns into a macbook, you may feel disappointed. Coming back to your question if it worth the 90$, keeping in mind that this company gives the chance to replace it, in an easy way compared to 99% of the laptops in the market, in a laptop of 1000$+, I think it worth it.

2 Likes

I’ve just installed one, along with the 4kg hinges.

The original cover had made me uncomfortable with both how much it flexed, and how it didn’t seem to provide much protection to the back of the screen.

In this, the new cover, so far, seems to be a considerable improvement, in that I no longer feel uncomfortable with it. I’m not sure if it particularly changes some sort of feel of the laptop: it largely feels and seems similar, it simply doesn’t flex as much, and doesn’t feel as flimsy on top.

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Do you notice any less key imprinting on the screen?
With the stock lid, I notice that I often open it to find markings from the keyboard left on the screen.

Same question as above: Do you notice any less key imprinting on the screen?
With the stock lid, I notice that I often open it to find markings from the keyboard left on the screen.

Thanks!

I don’t own the original lid as I bought a 12th gen DIY, but I have no key imprinting on the screen. Of course I don’t jam any of my laptops into a backpack full of stuff so it can get sandwiched :slight_smile: of course YMMV. No give while pressing on the lid and reasonable amout of flex considering the lid/display/bezel assembly is not glued together.

2 Likes

I did too, and it was rather annoying. I do usually jam all of my laptops into bags full of stuff, but I’m not going to be in situations where I’m likely to have key imprinting in the next few days, so it will be some time until I can add a useful update here.

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that someone else has this issue. It’s a pain to have to clean the screen every week because of it.

No worries, just post an update when you can! I’m very curious. I have some extra money from Christmas and I’m looking to treat myself to the new CNC cover, but I just wanna see if it’s worth it.

I have a newer 12th gen model, but based on how the new CNC covers are, I wouldn’t try to place a framework with the old one in a backpack.

@Blueprint Now you mention it, yes, I can see a slight keys imprint on the screen but just the imprint over the dust, I see no marking on the screen itself. I didn’t pay attention to that until you mentioned it.
I don’t jam my laptop with books or something like that, I don’t put anything over it.

1 Like

A note on upgrading from the old top cover per the instructions:

Mind the magnets that attach the bezel to the old top cover.

Mine had somehow become unstuck/unglued from the original top cover, and came off with the bezel, without my knowing. Upon installing the bezel on the new top cover, it did not fit right – it would not seat correctly into its notches, and the bottom “lip” (on the bottom of the screen by hinges) would not click into place.

I removed it again to find 3 of the original top cover magnets stuck over 3 of the new top cover magnets – obstructing the bezel’s fit.

After clearing the extra magnets, it fits now and is again functional. (I’m using it now to type this message.)

Generally though, very happy with the sturdier feel of the new top cover.

– A happy customer appreciating Frame.work’s efforts to produce maintainable, repairable, and upgradeable laptops. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why not offer the bottom cover as CNC? and the keyboard cover too?

CNC is has better rigidity but it is more expensive, more energy intensive, and produces more waste (which goes against the environmental aspects of Framework’s mission).

The top cover is CNC because they found real world rigidity issues that could be resolved by using a CNC cover, however the bottom cover and input cover have pretty good rigidity without needing to be CNC.

11th Gen Framework and I had the original cover and original hinges. I changed to CNC top cover and 4 KG hinges. My 2 cents? Both in combination make an absolutely enormous difference. The top cover flexes a lot less from corner to corner and generally has more rigidity to it when manipulating it from one of the corners. But the hinges…my god. The 4kg hinges made an even bigger difference. I would recommend doing both upgrades if you have the budget for it.

Note: This is just info on the hinges with links to other users views.
For more on this: Search results for 'Hinges' - Framework Community

For you that may be so but consider

• The 3.3K hinges range from 2.8K to 3.8K
  • The 4K hinges range from 3.5Kg to 4.5Kg

So in some cases the difference may be an increase greater than 1.7Kg and another a decrease greater 0.3Kg

I say increase and decrease as the 0.5Kg range is the factory tolerance and clearly some will get pushed that are beyond the tolerance levels, such that some users have complained of such low friction that the screen just drops when open over, maybe 120°.

I have no problem with my 3.3Kg after 28 months.

So where as the likelihood is that a change will work as wanted the range, if within factory manufacturers tolerance is from 3.5Kg to 4.5Kg ** could result in a ‘worse’ situation with no recourse to complain**

If my hinges play up I will try and fix them DIY.

Take care:

the hinges have a nominal force of 3.3kg with a tolerance range of +/- 0.5kg

we’ve built a higher torque version of the Hinge Kit coming in at 4.0kg with +/- 0.5kg tolerance range.
Explainer: Lid rigidity, hinge force, the CNC Top Cover, and the new 4.0Kg Hinge Kit

Really good context for OP that I didn’t add, so thank you amoun. Definitely my personal preference to have the 4.0 kg hinges including the acceptable tolerances threshold but YMMV!

1 Like