How long before Dbrand skins?

Based on what I saw when I ordered there were 12 expansion card skins included but now that I think about it, I ordered obsidian and it comes with a added skin (black) does that mean 6 for each or 12 for each?

To go full Boot or to not go full Boot, that is the question. Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of industrial design, or to take up arms against a sea of cringe.

Tbh, NWU Type 1 got way more flack than it deserved. It hid industrial stains well and was pretty comfy. I’m so tempted, but I also don’t want to go around with a hat on that says “Veteran stuck in his glory days”.
:sweat_smile: :sailboat:

I just received a shipping-notification for my x-ray skin. Let‘s see whether the FW16 makes it first :smile: As I‘m in batch 2 it might be possible :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I was really hoping to see a leather skin available. My friend has one for his Steamdeck and it looks and feels so good. I’ve got a pile of stickers that I’m considering getting one of the matte skins to put them on but I haven’t been a sticker guy before so I’m having trouble deciding to go that way or just getting the Obsidian skin.

Got my shipment notification for Obsidian today. I’m also batch 2. I figure I’ll have the skin way before the laptop.

dbrand is way too inflexible. They just lost me as a customer.
I just wanted the top cover to have no cutouts at all. Currently there’s only an option to omit the logo cutout, but not the long line cut out at the bottom, that you can see in this photo:

Their answer:

We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we simply don't offer such customization options.

Why’s there even a cutout in the first place? The Framework Laptop 13 skins don’t have it either.
Whatever, I’m gonna find that skin somewhere else and gonna cut it myself. Might be a but bothersome, but at least will be a lot cheaper. Farewell, dbrand. :raised_hands:

They don’t seem interested in customization. They used to allow mixed selections if you are ordering top, middle, bottom skins, but the got rid of that.
It would be fine, if they didn’t charge so much.

The FW16 has its antennas in that spot. They say the metallic skins can attenuate signal some, so the cutout is probably to reduce that.

Of course, the white marble is not metallic, only 3 skins are. I guess they just don’t want the effort of different cutouts for metallic. Or they want consistently above all else. So that they don’t have to put a note to explain why it’s different? And field questions from those that don’t read, I guess. Simplify everything, but still charge a ton.

Sadly, Slickwraps’ pricing is even worse.
Skinit has no Framework-specific offers, but their universal one is more reasonably priced.
Gekaskins does offer universal laptop skins, too, but sadly only up to 15" (389 x 247mm).
Any other alternatives?

Edit: more (possible) alternatives:
DecalGirl
The Wrappz customizer sadly says, that the required size for the FL16 isn’t available. :unamused:
Uniqfind doesn’t seem to offer Framework skins yet and has no custom option.
MightySkins

Here’s a list with dbrand competitors.

dbrand is kind of becoming the Apple in skins. Amazing quality, but only if you like what they offer. From what I’ve heard they do have amazing customer support if something goes wrong, contrary to Apple…

1 Like

Apparently they are currently swamped with orders, hence it took them almost 3 months to reply to my request, so it’s time to redirect their potential customers elsewhere to get them off their high horse. I’ll present as many alternatives as I can in this thread in order to do so. From what I’ve read in this article, other companies offer good customer service, too, sometimes even better than dbrand.
Sadly it centers around phone covers/cases/skins.

Sorry, but did you read the page you linked? The thing is AI written. While there are some companies in the list that do sell skins, there are also many that do not.

Wrapping up
Anker wins the best dbrand alternative challenge. This website has a wide range of products to choose from, such as power banks, chargers, cables, docks, power stations, AC power, and more.

Anker doesn’t even sell skins.

I’m all for alternatives to dbrand, I just wouldn’t recommend an AI written site.

2 Likes

dbrand doesn’t solely sell skins either. The also sell cases, screen protectors and gadgets.

I did find the conclusion odd, too, but the article did include many good alternatives. Of course, you should never blindly accept information from questionable sources, but always do your own checks before ordering anything. I just presented it as a source for further investigation.

I just found a competitor list I added to my alternatives post. That one should be better. I’m checking the sites not yet mentioned from that list right now.

It’s the WiFi antenna. Covering it would be a bad idea. :laughing:

As MJ1 already stated, that only applies to metallic skins, not vinyl-based ones:

It’s still a dumb idea.

You wouldn’t stick a skin on the antennas of your WiFi router.

1 Like

My obsidian has been shipped. Now I can lay the top piece on a box and pretend I have a 16 :joy:

1 Like

I ordered mine the day they were released but because I had sent a request to customer service for adding something to my order, Ive been stuck waiting for a reply for almost a week now :frowning: I’m fine waiting even though Im a Batch 1 since I dont even have the laptop yet lol

1 Like

It wouldn’t matter, even if I did.
In fact, I already ordered my skin elsewhere and am gonna apply it, without cutting out the antennas. I’ll measure the WiFi-signal before and after installation, then we’ll see.
I bet there’s not gonna be any change.

2 Likes

I think the wifi cutout is by far the smallest problem.That might make sense, maybe not.
But the overall lack of customization and flexibility at a high price is what annoys me.

1 Like

It’s yours to do with as you wish. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Prioritising the appearance of stick on tat over WiFi performance is baffling. To me at least.