How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

i’ve had my framework 13 for two weeks now and it already shows a wear level of 8,7%. I may have charged it about 7 times and keep the battery at a maximun of 75%. Is battery faulty?

Mine’s at 82.4% (purchased Feb 2022 - Batch 4 iirc).

This has served as my main laptop during my college and is still serving great.

Also, here’s inxi’s output:

  ~ >>> battery
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 14.3 Wh (31.6%) condition: 45.3/55.0 Wh (82.4%) volts: 14.8 min: 15.4 model: NVT Framewo 
           type: Li-ion serial: 0162 status: Discharging cycles: 168 

Did anyone ever claim the degradation was linear?

No and I can’t imagine it is, but I do image a) it’s fairly linear after a few dozens cycles and b) as the capacity drops a cycle will get shorter. again - fairly linearly. No doubt some exponentially tweaked one.

From my experience with lithium batteries it’s more like a lot initially and then tapers off and then a lot later a lot again, kinda s-curve ish. But anyway I’d be very careful extrapolating.

1 Like

I’m sitting at just over 200 cycles and a wear level of 6%. Battery is about 2.5 years old (Batch 4 11th gen Intel). I mostly use it as a mobile workstation when I’m away from the office, maybe a couple hours a day 2-4 times a week, otherwise it’s plugged in intermittently set to 80% battery charge threshold, with the charge threshold disabled when I’m traveling. Can’t really complain with how it’s held up in my use case.

1 Like
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             17.336 V
    charge-cycles:       26
    capacity:            86.0582%

i guess not bad for a 2 year old laptop that i have used wildly and continuously. 26 cycles are a lie, it definitely reset after the mobo upgrade.

Just handed my 2021 batch 5 i5 off to a friend. Did a full battery cycle just to check everything out before it went to it’s new owner.

charge_full was 3042 , or ~47Wh / 55Wh available, ~85% of original capacity

After ~27 months in service, many partial but very few full cycles, 100 percent charge limit at first until BIOS allowed lower, 60 percent most of the time at that.

I think it needs to be restated that the wear is not exactly linear, and often measured incorrectly by the laptop!

I got laptop 13 for several month, cycle count 27 but I got 13.9% wear level. lol

I followed the instruction, and saw the battery capacity really decreased rapidly. From Feb to Apr.

How did you get the history?

for windows, that’s powercfg /batteryreport

1 Like

Done any full change/discharge cycles lately?

Yes. I tried to put unde 5% and fully charge, then that’s still 46061/55009. 16.3%

You may need to fully discharge it in this case, like won’t turn on without the power adapter discharge.

If that doesn’t improve the readings it may be time to hit up support.

Not necessarily. Most laptops, at least all laptops I used previously, have their lower calibration point at 7% i.e they will either discharge suddenly to 7% or stay at 7% for a long time if the laptop is unplugged and the battery’s capacity meter has drifted

What’s the voltage of the battery at 5% assuming you are not running resource intensive task

Never had one do that at 7% all the laptops I have previously done the full discharge/charge dance with have tended to hang in there below 5%, usually 0 or 1%.

Ideally they should implement an explicit battery re-calibration in the ec like the thinkpads have where it discharges and charges the battery while connected to power.

It is a bit ironic that charge limits that reduce battery wear also tend to make the wear readout look a lot worse than it actually is XD.

Sorry, my memory must be incorrect. Will do my own research in a few days. Stay tuned

Has anybody here got more than 255 cycles recorded on their battery?

My 11th gen 13" battery cycle count seems to have been “reset” and now shows single digit cycles after reaching 255 cycles and while it could be a coincidence I think that value could be a clue (0-255 values per byte).

1 Like