I actually like the FW speaker

honestly I do like the speaker

It is loud enough, I can place my FW in the middle of the living room and everyone can hear the sound.

The sound quality is good enough, I set it as about 20% to 25% when I’m in front of the laptop, not too bad for casual media consumption.

Idk if FW optimized it for AMD?

AMD 13 with Pop!_OS

2 Likes

I agree, audio is definitely better then on my Dell Latitude 7400

They’ve had several iterations of the speaker setups.

In terms of speakers Framework has used the 0001 (full model: FRANBX0001 ) and FG03 (full model: FRANBXFG03 ) speakers. The 0001 speakers offer “more accurate audio fidelity” and “better low frequency response” while the FG03 speakers are “louder overall, especially in the frequency ranges where voice typically is”.

In terms of the CODEC (the chip that controls the speakers) Framework has offered the RealTek ALC295 and Tempo 92HD95B CODECs. The RealTek ALC295 is a smart CODEC, meaning it has some DSP capability for speaker protection and equalization, allowing it to drive the speakers harder without damaging them. The Tempo 92HD95B on the other hand is simpler with no smart features but greater power efficiency (and was available when the ALC295 had a shortage).

The Framework Laptop 13 with 11th Gen Intel Core processors used the 0001 speakers with the RealTek ALC295, however they were unable to get the smart features working on this generation. Due to a shortage of RealTek ALC295 CODECs they made a mid generation switch to the Tempo 92HD95B CODEC.

The Framework Laptop 13 with 12th Gen Intel Core processors used the 0001 speakers with the Tempo 92HD95B CODEC.

The Framework Laptop 13 with 13th Gen Intel Core processors uses the FG03 speakers with the Tempo 92HD95B CODEC.

The Framework Laptop 13 with AMD Ryzen 7040 series uses the 0001 speakers with the RealTek ALC295 CODEC (with the smart features actually working this time).

So there has actually been pretty significant variation between the generations. It is also possible for people to swap their speakers for the other model.

5 Likes

And with some equalizer tuning the sound gets very very usable