If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

As an update to the previous entry, it’s now just the dGPU (which people keep saying wrong - eGPU is an external GPU, dGPU is dedicated, iGPU is integrated), and we don’t actually need it. If framework had a clear upgrade path where I could buy the laptop now and know that I could get a dGPU later then we’d buy the laptop now and use an eGPU option with our RTX 2080. I think it’ll be likely to require a larger chassis like 15" for cooling and physical space of a dGPU.

Touchscreen, matte screen, 360 hinge should be drop-in replacements when they are available on the marketplace and aren’t dealbreakers right now. Higher core counts, DDR5, PCIe gen5 are not necessary, though they would be great to have especially for the higher-end game development and video editing we do.

~ Jamie

1. too small - I would prefer 15.6 or 17 inches
  2. no matte screen
  3. no AMD CPU Ryzen 7 - 5800u/h
  4. not enough slots: 6 (maybe 8 on 17") expansion slots
2 Likes
  1. Lack of long awaited Europe availability;
  2. I might consider more screen options;
  3. No dGPU or no better performance iGPU
  4. Definitely more powerful CPUs, quad-cores are quite not my type, and AMD in mobile are just insane this days;
  5. Current models are still “budget” level laptops (for quite high price) and I need some “workhorse” to keep on the road;

And as framework is small group trying to do their best to survive in weird times for electronics with all shortages and with quite big demand on their products, as it’s passed almost half year since release in US and Canada with almost no information about any point on the roadmap of the company - nothing about progres in building future laptops, nothing about new parts for the old laptop, and while it’s reasonable safe move from the framework, it’s feeling as quite unsafe investment for me as customer.
So as I cannot buy it anyway living in Europe, I guess I will take a break, spend that money on some high-end laptop this year, and keep promote framework laptops to all family and friends that :laughing:

1 Like

Availability in Italy.

1. Matte screen. (I can’t use a glossy in my day to day)
  2. An Ethernet expansion slot. (I’m not digging in my bag for a dongle)
  3. AMD or Alderlake option.
  4. Better thermal solution that allows for quieter fans. (No louder than an XPS 13 or less than 40db at load on “Balanced” Windows power profile)

I really want to replace my 15" for something more portable and I really want to support reparability/sustainability, but it must have my top 2 and if I’m upgrading 3 and 4 would be really nice.

2 Likes

For all those asking for a matte screen, here is a possible solution from @Davy_Bell

1 Like

While it’s nice to know that a 3rd party option is available in matte, it really defeats the sustainable aspect of this laptop if I’m removing a perfectly good gloss screen first. Maybe if it was an option to oder without a screen… but something tells me that probably won’t happen.

3 Likes

I have not yet purchased one because AMD isn’t offered. I’ve been holding out on a personal laptop for a while because I’m waiting for Framework to offer AMD options, especially with the new 6000 series processors and iGPU’s. Hopefully that option becomes available in a reasonable timeframe so I’m not forced to go buy some other AMD powered laptop. I’d really like to support FW and I’d really like to buy through them. fingers crossed

2 Likes

Mouse buttons next to the trackpad:

(I don’t need the TrackPoint, just mouse buttons.)

4 Likes

For me the main problem with the laptop is that integrated graphics suck. A future version with a different chassis and the ability to add a discrete gpu from a list of choices (if possible) would make it worth it to me.

Integrated graphics have come a long way, the integrated graphics from even 2 years ago don’t hold a candle to integrated graphics today and that integrated graphics in 12th gen are upgraded from 11th gen which are comparable to Vega in performance

…Which is why AMD is finally producing RDNA iGPUs after years of Vega…jerks

2 Likes

I’m mainly waiting for my Dell XPS 13 to fail. Also, while the Framework Laptops looks very nice, I’d prefer a higher res touchscreen (like the 3200x1800 resolution my XPS13 has). The other advantages the Framework has, like the ability to install much more RAM, are not really needed at the moment, or at least don’t warrant paying around 1000 euros.

So I’m kinda just waiting at the moment for my XPS to fail and I’m also waiting for more customization options like more bezel colors and screen options on the DIY edition. A 2-in-1 chassis with a 360° hinge would also be a great variant that would immediately convince me to purchase it.

I generally like running hardware into the ground. My current HP laptop works well enough (8th gen i5) and was basically free ($40 for screen repair and wifi card upgrade). I also prefer bigger screens (15 inch). Lastly, I prefer macOS and I dont think the chip in the framework are supported yet. But as soon as this laptop becomes slow and framework makes a 15 inch model, I will be jumping over to a framework!

If Framework is reading this (and I know they are), here are the most common requests!

–Availability in more countries (I know this is actively being worked on and is quite a challenge)

–Multiple screen sizes (15in, 17in. Would require a redesign of the casing)

–More CPU choices (this will obviously be extremely challenging). These include AMD Ryzen 5th gen, Intel 12th gen, Arm/RiscV

–More GPU power for power users (even more challenging as framework would have to change the mainboard design and/or design a new port to support a DGPU)

–More expansion cards (thank you for the dev program)

–More expansion card ports (in the bigger models)

1 Like

The ability to have a numpad, a Ryzen option 5000 or 6000 series, and

2 Likes

Shipping and availability problems with the battery as a standalone component.

Availability in Australia, but at this point I’m desperate and looking at buying it and forwarding it to myself.
My Surface Pro 3 is on its last legs - Bluetooth is straight up gone (I use a BT dongle) and wifi is temperamental at best. The front webcam has never worked thanks to a botched firmware update from Microsoft. The keyboard is peeling off layers like a Shrek. The battery lasts an hour (honestly not too bad considering). The pen doesn’t have BT functionality. The screen is peeling. The fan sounds like a plane at takeoff, much like the PS4 (probably full of dust but can’t clean it out). Overheats and thermal throttles all the time to the point that HD YouTube plays at 10fps with nothing else happening.

It’s time for a Framework, please. I also have disability funding in the process of being approved because I need a device to be able to have my telehealth appointments. Fingers crossed I get approved.

Edit: I forgot that the only USB port is falling out on the inside of the chassis. This means that my DSLR which is currently a glorified webcam often disconnects or experiences audio problems in video calls, sometimes cutting out completely. It also means I can’t use the BT dongle during video calls, so I have no mouse functionality.
Please release in Australia soon Framework! :crossed_fingers:

8 Likes

Man… what a wreck! Sympathies…

1 Like

Speaking for someone else, it’s the lack of a OLED screen, they refuse to go back to IPS after using OLED for some time.

I can definitely relate, but I’d rather wait a few months and get QD-OLED instead as it’s objectively better in every way, especially power usage.

4 Likes