If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

I’m a farmer so I’m hopping for a water,dust resistant version… A Simi easy way to do that is coating the boards with plastic and rubber seals around the usb-c ports. Please note I said water, dust RESISTANT not water, dust PROOF.

8 Likes

15" w/ dGPU would be great.

6 Likes

I’m in the UK so not available yet, also I like to just wait until the product has been out for a while before jumping in. I like the idea of the configurable laptop, in the past I’ve usually just maxed out the memory on laptops as it used to be a pain or near impossible to upgrade. In general I don’t wait for specific advancements in processors or graphics cards as these things are always being developed and so there is never really an optimal time

1 Like

I was totally sold until I saw this notebook check review, and one on youtube, citing screen ghosting:

I mostly do text editing/programming but I need to be able to enjoy movies on a laptop if I upgrade. If I will notice ghosting in movies and videos then it is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

I am hoping someone who has the laptop will see this and can give me some feedback on their experience with the screen and its responsiveness.

Just to be clear, I will not be gaming on it.

1 Like

My primary feedback is, it likely depends on your sensitivity to that type of thing. So far me, my girlfriend, and my brother have all tried gaming on it, with different types of games. All of us are gamers and content consumers of our own type, but none of us are extremely sensitive to color accuracy and ghosting:

I played Kerbal Space Program and watched some shows (Band of Brothers). With screens I tend to be distracted by refresh rate, refresh consistency, and image sharpness. I had no issues with my use cases, but I haven’t tried high action shooters yet on the framework, where I’d be most sensitive to ghosting.

My girlfriend played Guild Wars 2 and watched some Gilmore Girls, she tends to be primarily critical of image sharpness. She played esports competitively in college though so she generally knows when her screens aren’t doing what she wants. She had no complaints even in high player count raids with lots of visual clutter flying around the screen. No noticeable ghosting when I watched, but to my eye that genre tends to be less sensitive to visual artifacts simply due to how much crap gets thrown on your screen to obfuscate problems.

My brother played Valorant, and I have no idea what his screen preferences are, but he’s used to playing on a 144hz IPS gaming laptop. No issues reported there.

None of us are particularly sensitive to ghosting, though my gf and I have picked up on it on a few of my monitors. In watching shows with lots of action, I noticed nothing. Certainly not significant enough to have dragged my attention away from the content. I have yet to play any game where I’ve been distracted by screen ghosting either. That’s not to say you won’t, as you may be very distracted by ghosting, but it has not been a problem for either of us 3.

5 Likes

Use: https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/ thats what I’m doing.

2 Likes

Three reasons I haven’t ordered yet:

1. no AMD-CPU
  2. no dGPU
  3. not available in Germany

These are the three things I’m waiting for.

3 Likes

I need availability in germany, and I’d prefer an AMD version. I’d go for Intel and upgrade later as well, but I won’t organize import by myself…

2 Likes

Primarily the lack of a Touchscreen/Stylus support. Having both an iPad and Laptop with stylus support have become invaluable to me. The 180* hinge is reasonable to use still with the screen.
The only other interest would be a larger battery, or a frame that may support a swappable battery for extended on the go.

3 Likes

I just got here and am weighing my options. That said, this project has me very excited, and I would really love to jump in. At the moment the things that have me still contemplating are:

• I would like a larger (16" or greater) screen, or a strong sense of a roadmap where my investment might be upgraded to a larger screened body in the future (in keeping with the philosophy of the project).

• I am a bit concerned about the viability of the marketplace / future support for this project, as I expect it will be a bit of a niche, at least at first. That said, I love the enthusiasm I see from open HW devs in the community, which may just override that concern.

The system I would want to build represents a signinficant investment, larger than what I might spend on a less upgradable / maintainable machine elsewhere. This makes the second point pretty important because I am paying extra for the concept and don’t want it to be a flash in the pan. That said, I recognize that by jumping in, I make it just that little bit more likely that this will succeed, which is pushing me, gradually, toward a yes.

2 Likes

Not having a gpu and AMD option. I would love something like a 1650 or more added to it for light gaming.

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for my current laptop to stop working. :slightly_smiling_face: (Un)fortunately, I don’t think it’s going to die any time soon.

But when it does, I’m getting a Framework. No hesitation. I’m already sold.

5 Likes

While there are features which I hope to be implemented in the future-- like touch and stylus support as well as AMD options mentioned above, I could actually use a new laptop and would really like to get into the community development of expansion slots. I have some ideas which I am not sure I can really pull off but I really do like tinkering with electronics and I am very excited to see where this company goes.

But really, money is why I haven’t ordered. I just moved and went from unemployed to underemployed so it might take me a while to squirrel enought money away in my piggy bank for a computer. Unless anyone whats to hire someone with two history degrees and another in broadcast journalism!

3 Likes

TLDR: I have a new laptop that I really like. I’m not 100% sure that I’d go Framework when it gets old, but Framework would be a top contender.
I love my M1 MacBook Pro. I hate Apple’s anti-repair lobbying, but it’s a great machine that is pretty much perfect for me. I want something with long battery life, support for iMessage (I hate typing on phones), a good screen, and from a company I can trust to do very good QC and have good build quality. I do a bit of gaming, but being able to run Factorio, Rimworld, and Minecraft is good enough for me to game during lunch or between classes. I can live without iMessage, so, when this gets old, I’ll probably go Framework. I’ll be looking for BIG.little or ARM if someone other than Apple can get good compatibility, but I could probably live with x86 battery life. Framework is also basically the same price as Apple, though it will be cheaper down the line as I can upgrade instead of replacing.

4 Likes

I want an AMD processor. That’s it.

I’d also like a full size SD card slot and an ethernet port, but those aren’t keeping me from buying the device, since I can get those later.

4 Likes

Interesting question, but my answer is this laptop isn’t upgradeable in any important way to me.

Can you swap out a dedicated GPU?
Can you swap out a 13" monitor for a 17"?

I mean, you can’t, and for many reasons other upgrades aren’t the useful. I find upgrading everything at once - gpu, memory, hard drive, motherboard, screen - puts me on a new platform where the components are often well matched.

Besides, you can upgrade memory and hard drive, but with the exception of a MacBook M1, I don’t find upgradaable memory and hard drive to be unusual at all.

I guess some are imagining expansion, like they could potentially hook up sensors kind of like the use case for a raspberry pi. Well the raspberry pi is also $35 so if you break it with home-brew hardware its no big deal.

Personally I’ll keep an eye, not for whats’ holding one back, but some unique reason to buy this… it’s intriguing or I wouldn’t be here. Making it easier to remove the keyboard is better than making it harder. I think improvements to design are good - it’s just not worth paying more for it.

1 Like

I’m totally sold on this project too, my next laptop is from Framework for sure. But for now:

1. Larger screen, 15"
  2. Non-reflective screen
  3. Not available in Germany
  4. GPU

I really hope this project will keep evolving, I’m rooting for you!

1 Like

My current laptop works, although the battery has died. I can only use it via plug socket, which is very annoying at times. Replaced the screen twice. Not bad for a 4 year old laptop. Will keep using it till it really does start to knock on death’s door. Other reasons :

• no 16:9 aspect ratio. Though I can deal with 16:10.
  • not being available in the UK.
  • No AMD, but I can deal with Intel till we can upgrade.
  • would be nice to have a matte screen, but screen protectors can solve this…
  • would be great to have an option to buy a 14" screen.

I mean, I’m hoping the points above will be available by the time my current laptop “dies”.

1 Like

I would say that is actually pretty bad for a 4 year old laptop. My HP ProBook just passed 7 years, with all original and added (extra RAM, SSD) components fully functional, battery keeps it on for 3-4 hours as well, although I’ve always been using it with the cable.

If a computer dies or needs multiple repairs in 4 years, in my playbook it would be in the ‘garbage’ category.

6 Likes

Really? Wow I’m so outdated haha. To be fair, it has had a couple drops on hard floor. It does run fine though. It’s s Lenovo Ideapad 320s 14IKB, i5 8th gen. So it’s not the best :joy: . I’ve made a decision if it breaks again I will get a new laptop. Would be beneficial tbh due to starting University this month. Fair play to 7 years ! That’s pretty dam good!

1 Like