If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

Two things:

1. It is not available in my region.

2. GPU. Having a google meet with several participants with video + 2 open visual studios is problematic without GPU. If there is a model with GPU available I am buying it.

I don’t know if this is possible but what about the console approach of sticking with the integrated graphics but adding VRAM? Seams to work well for PS5.

1 Like

This is an interesting argument for a dGPU I’ve not heard before. I don’t share that same problem on my Late 2019 MacBook Pro 13” that my work has provided for me. No dGPU but I don’t have any issues with video conferencing while running many other programs. I don’t use Google Meet though so maybe it’s specifically a problem with that video conferencing software?

Two deal breakers need to happen first:

• high end AMD options
  • good high dpi touchscreen option
1 Like

I am one of those people who likes to have a single all rounder computer where I can do all my computing and gaming task on. What is currently missing since it is in a very early stage are:

1. eGPU
  2. Touch screen

Then, what would really lock the sale for me if it had the following as well:

1. AMD CPU
  2. 360 degree hinge so I can use it on tablet mode as well
  3. Full arrow keys keyboard
2 Likes

Once it have at least GTX 1060 i am buying it right away (or atleast external GPU option for 1060 equivalent). For now i have my MSI GS63VR.
I had a problem with a ventilator which i needed to fix myself and a problem with battery that totaly died. After 3y. So i lubricated the vent and bought not original battery as the original was 50% mor expensive.But in total satisfiend with the notebook. But the disasembly is totaly horrible…

I’ve got a Skylake-generation XPS13 that’s on it’s third swollen battery. This one is getting so bad that the keyboard is deforming, and the corner of the trackpad is popping out! I’m trying to hold out until Framework releases a 15” laptop (or larger), because I’m pretty cramped in my 13”. Will likely have to remove the battery entirely and run it attached to power until I can find what I want. C’mon Framework - please give us a larger screen unit!!!

4 Likes

I just placed an order, but these are the biggest drawbacks with this laptop for me:

• No trackpoint on the keyboard
  • Weak CPU choices (would have much rather had Ryzen as many others would)
  • Glossy display (LOVE the 3:2 aspect ratio though, which was a huge deciding factor because there are so few 3:2 options out there)

I decided that I just love this concept and business model so much that I needed to support Framework, even if working without the trackpoint will be a huge PITA and even though I would otherwise never consider a laptop with any of the CPUs available from Framework.

4 Likes

In it’s current state, there aren’t any dealbreaker features that are missing for my own use cases, just a few nice-to-haves that I want, and I’m going to wait for a few months as my current lappy enjoys it’s final days.

1. I’m really hoping for a touch screen option to become available. It’s one of those features that seems like a useless frill, until you have one, then you can’t imagine working without it.

2. An XQD/CFexpress reader expansion slot, so I can take this on the road with my camera and need zero dongles.

3. The Framework marketplace to open, so if I break anything during assembly, I don’t have to deal with customer support and can just buy a replacement part.

4. Thunderbolt certification, so I can attach this to an eGPU with confidence. (Also waiting on Thunderbolt 4 eGPUs to hit the market)

Things that appeal to me about the framework laptop:
Small size. Amazing I/O, Good screen with 3:2 ratio. Expansion port system to build exactly the system I need to reduce dongles. Nice aesthetics. Display Port option for my current monitors. Flexibility of ordering exactly what I want.

2 Thunderbolt 4, 1TB expansion slot + internal CFe reader = my dream system.

1 Like

update: i decided to say f#$% it and order a framework laptop

I went with the diy: i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.

Thank you all for your hard work @Framework

Going to boot Linux. Still deciding which distro…

Coming from an m1 MacBook, but I’ve assembled my own pc before.

7 Likes

The chassis is not for me. Personally I dislike the MacBook aesthetic. I might get the current model if a trackpoint keyboard is available in the future (touchpads give me cramps), but for now I’m sticking with my T530.

It would be great if Framework made a business-grade laptop similar to the older ThinkPads. No thin and light fluff, just durability and utility. For me weight is not an issue and durability is much more important (especially the screen, which unfortunately Lenovo switched to flimsy ones without screen latches).

Also it could have a dGPU (perhaps a swappable module that could fit in a SATA/secondary battery bay) So people can have an extra battery, a disc burner (if you still need one), a SATA SSD, M2 SSD, etc.

I have more ideas so I may make a new thread for this.

2 Likes

For me its mostly the screen size and the fact that i’m not in dire need for a new laptop. When i search for new laptops i usually try to get one where everything is right, which gets difficult since the more you know about laptops the more you notice the negative things like a bad display and many other small things.

My dream laptop would probably be something like this:
-Display: ~16", 120Hz, 1440p+, 100% sRGB or 100% adobeRGB, 1:1000+ contrast, ips, no backlight bleeding, semi glossy coating (maybe via screen protector), maybe also touch with stylus compatibility
-85-99 Wh battery
-45 Watt processor, preferably future ryzen processor but intel is also ok
-good cooling with enough headroom, should be as quiet as the 13.5" framework laptop or better in use and should not get too hot on touch
-No discrete GPU, i highly prefer the additional battery space, better battery life and having lesser amount of noise, the iGPUs nowadays are more than enough for me

I would also go with a 25 Watt processor if there isn’t a 45 Watt option since this is quite an exotic configuration for a laptop. For gaming i have pc so i have no need for a discrete gpu but i would still like to have a similar responsiveness to my pc, hence why i would love a 45 Watt cpu and 120Hz display. My main usecase would be browsing, office and some programing.

5 Likes

I’m really looking for a model with a 17" screen. I don’t need big performance, decent performance on a large screen would be a boon. Same thickness as current model would be fine.

3 Likes

Came here to say this. I think I can get by integrated graphics, but once you’ve worked touchscreen into you workflow, you’re not going to buy a machine without it again.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with a lot of people with mine:

• Want the bigger screen size (14 or 15")
  • Want the dedicated GPU for gaming
  • I live in Australia (I have seen the ShopMate comments and will probably use it for other deals I see)
  • Coming off a ThinkPad I’m use to a LOT of ports (dongles are starting to creep into my life though)
2 Likes

Waiting for a gaming oriented version.

1 Like

I dont recommend Auspost, try, ShopandShip. They refused a laptop from me recently and Had to pay a $50 redirection fee.

2 Likes

Just FYI, but eGPUs are working on the Framework Laptop and working quite well thanks to its Thunderbolt support.

1 Like

My current work laptop has a dedicated GPU so it works fine, however it is an issue for colleagues without GPU. I am talking about 10th gen i7s and i9s. Those laptops behaved worst then 6-7 year models with GPUs. Also we are using Sophos which is not exactly the most performant antivirus solution.

The keybord layout, and thats its not sold in Erupe of cause, also dont need a change in laptop current works alright, when it breaks wihout warrenty i will defo go for a framwork

1. MB only with 4 core CPUs (I believe I need something like ryzen 5700u or match)
  2. 4 expansion cards sounds like too few (however, it might be possible to make a multiport expansion cards, like 2 usb-A card, and it wil partially fix an issue)
  3. No port for external mic (may be not an issue at all)
  4. No high-capacity battery (55Wh is good, but 100 is better :slight_smile: )
  5. No RJ-45 :frowning:
  6. No option for matt screen
1 Like