If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

@NM64 Exactly, and these AMD CPUs all natively support ECC, just no laptop motherboards do :frowning:

Hopefully, but for the time being I canā€™t justify getting one only to continue using my older laptop to effectively get things done. Iā€™d happily get one the first day that becomes available. Heck, if thereā€™s a bounty or something to help make it worthwhile for someone to make that a reality, Iā€™d love to contribute some funds.

Still waiting for the Dvorak keyboard.

I live in Malaysia, a country with a larger population than Australia AND a higher percentage of Desktop users per capita (which means that weā€™d potentially be a bigger market than Australia in terms of absolute and per capita numbers) as well as a population that really gets behind the ā€˜use it till itā€™s brokeā€™ philosophy. To top it all off, Malaysia is central to all trade routes between East and West, which makes us easy to ship/export to.

I hope Framework will give further consideration to Malaysia as a potential country for release :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I really hope the 16 model could be upgraded to include a keyboard with a trackpoint.

2 Likes

How do you know that Framework hasnā€™t looked into it as a potential, and that itā€™s just taking them a lot of time to get everything in place in order to officially support it? None of us know what Framework is doing behind the scenes, so itā€™s a little rude to just assume that they arenā€™t doing something just because they havenā€™t SAID they are looking into it.

2 Likes

Trackpoint - I ned laptops with trackpoint.

2 Likes

Sounds a community mod for a custom keyboard with a trackpoint should be worked on! Would that replace your trackpad entirely? You should put a drawing tablet or some sort of display down there!

1 Like

Iā€™m waiting on them to create a 2-in-1 form factor (or at least the option for a touchscreen). I know itā€™s not particularly necessary for everyone, but I use the form factor for my work all the time.

All the specs and capabilties look great, but thatā€™s a large hurdle to get past.

@KC1

Still waiting for the Dvorak keyboard.

This can be accomplished within the OS and using stickers on the keys.

3 Likes

I want a Chromebook, and was anxiously awaiting last weekā€™s announcements. To my disappointment, it was as if the Chromebook edition didnā€™t exist. Yes, I could install the 61Wh battery, matte screen, and new hinges, but Iā€™d end up with considerable extra hardware, and would still be on a 12th generation processor.

@Azure , I apologize for offending you, and have edited my post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I appreciate it! I hope my post didnā€™t come off too angry, but Iā€™ve been on the forums for a while and have seen many baseless assumptions, so I try to let people know that Framework really is a competent company, but just have to do a lot of work in the background before they can announce things to us!

1 Like

No one needs a fancy, expensive and powerful Chromebook. Even Google realised that in the end. No matter how much power you throw at ChromeOS it will never make much difference.

Expensive Chromebooks are a waste of money. Trust me Iā€™ve tried.

Iā€™ve been using forums and BBSs since the 1980s, and am quite familiar with the unfortunate dynamic of person B telling person A that what person A says he or she wants (or needs) is wrong.

Only rarely is there a sound basis for this. Far more often than not, person B hasnā€™t made the effort to fully understand person Aā€™s situation or to see the matter from person Aā€™s perspective, and therefore doesnā€™t make a helpful suggestion.

This is one of those latter instances.

Suffice it to say that my goal is not to buy a fancy or expensive Chromebook; it is to buy a computer that satisfies a certain list of features and characteristics. And when I apply my critera to the computers available on the market, the Framework Chromebook ranks very high up there.

4 Likes

And mostly likey so would a $500 one in the long run. I was speaking from my own past expereince. Everything that glitters is not gold, especially when it comes to Chromebooks and ChromeOS. Itā€™s a hamstrung environment. You can throw all the fancy hardware you want at it and youā€™ll still hit the same limits and brickwalls.

People all get too excited over the latest and greatest. But itā€™s your money at the end of the day.

But a $500 one isnā€™t repairable is it?

1 Like

It would certainly be fair for you to say that based on your experience, you believe that most people would be satisfied with a $500 Chromebook. And I believe you would be correct to conclude that.

But itā€™s incorrect to extrapolate that into presuming that that a $500 Chromebook would fit my (or anyoneā€™s) particular needs without delving into what those needs are.

Iā€™ve actually designed computers in my lifetime, so feel pretty confident in my conclusion.

3 Likes

If you think spending another $500 to get it possibly repairable is value for money then fine.

Still a lot to spend on a Chromebook. And the upgrades just add extra cost over the $500 machine that wasnt upgradable. Itā€™s still spending more money for little longterm benefit.

Just sayingā€¦be wary about fancy Chromebooks.

Correct, and thatā€™s just one criterion. For example, I really dislike the 16:9 display aspect ratio, and love the 3:2 ratio. That alone instantly narrows the field substantially.

2 Likes