If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

Waiting on an ARM model. I need Thunderbolt and currently it’s either go with the big Fruit Company and lose repairability, or convert a Chromebook but then lose Thunderbolt and most of my RAM. With Box86/Box64 there’s even some initial support for running x86 apps on ARM with Linux these days, so I don’t have anything holding me back (even Steam runs apparently).

Hopefully USB4/thunderbolt will be coming soon to more ARM SOCs, that would make this reality a lot sooner I suspect!

As much as I like the laptop, seems there are a lot of ongoing issues. Company needs to do more R&D.

1 Like

Ranking from top to bottom:

1. Second hard drive slot
  2. Coreboot & openec
  3. Alderlake CPU (H-series expected although P-series acceptable) and DDR5
    These are must-haves for me.
  4. Larger battery & less weight
  5. More rigid frame design.
  6. Larger screen size

GPU shortage and waiting for potential 360 hinge for better egpu implementation(the outflow of heat).

I’m getting one as soon as they start shipping to EU. Also getting another one when they make a 17" version with an AMD cpu :smiley:

1 Like

I just need to know that if/when AMD boards become an option that they will be chassis-compatible. I have uses for a 4x Thunderbolt mainboard as to not waste/scrap the Intel 11th gen board, so if it was confirmed that a hypothetical AMD board was a drop-in replacement through Marketplace, I’d buy right now.

1. Eu availability
  2. Keyboard - I might hate it
  3. I would prefer an amd cpu - 5800u, 5700u as compromise
  4. second ssd
    Otherwise it’s great, stoked about the concept, love the 16:10 ratio and the adapter concept! So much potential for great 3rd party adapters! Hope it becomes a standard!

*high-resolution 3:2 aspect ratio display

1 Like

If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back? - #103 by Andrew_Wild

Thought I would stop by and update you guys: Framework Support and I were able to solve the web checkout issues. Turns out some form validation errors where present but not alerting me as I was filling it out, so instead of stopping me at the time, I was allowed forward to a generic error page instead. Crisis averted. Since, I’ve purchased a Framework Laptop and I am typing on it now. It’s good stuff, go for it.

2 Likes

As an update to the previous entry, it’s now just the dGPU (which people keep saying wrong - eGPU is an external GPU, dGPU is dedicated, iGPU is integrated), and we don’t actually need it. If framework had a clear upgrade path where I could buy the laptop now and know that I could get a dGPU later then we’d buy the laptop now and use an eGPU option with our RTX 2080. I think it’ll be likely to require a larger chassis like 15" for cooling and physical space of a dGPU.

Touchscreen, matte screen, 360 hinge should be drop-in replacements when they are available on the marketplace and aren’t dealbreakers right now. Higher core counts, DDR5, PCIe gen5 are not necessary, though they would be great to have especially for the higher-end game development and video editing we do.

~ Jamie

1. too small - I would prefer 15.6 or 17 inches
  2. no matte screen
  3. no AMD CPU Ryzen 7 - 5800u/h
  4. not enough slots: 6 (maybe 8 on 17") expansion slots
2 Likes
  1. Lack of long awaited Europe availability;
  2. I might consider more screen options;
  3. No dGPU or no better performance iGPU
  4. Definitely more powerful CPUs, quad-cores are quite not my type, and AMD in mobile are just insane this days;
  5. Current models are still “budget” level laptops (for quite high price) and I need some “workhorse” to keep on the road;

And as framework is small group trying to do their best to survive in weird times for electronics with all shortages and with quite big demand on their products, as it’s passed almost half year since release in US and Canada with almost no information about any point on the roadmap of the company - nothing about progres in building future laptops, nothing about new parts for the old laptop, and while it’s reasonable safe move from the framework, it’s feeling as quite unsafe investment for me as customer.
So as I cannot buy it anyway living in Europe, I guess I will take a break, spend that money on some high-end laptop this year, and keep promote framework laptops to all family and friends that :laughing:

1 Like

Availability in Italy.

1. Matte screen. (I can’t use a glossy in my day to day)
  2. An Ethernet expansion slot. (I’m not digging in my bag for a dongle)
  3. AMD or Alderlake option.
  4. Better thermal solution that allows for quieter fans. (No louder than an XPS 13 or less than 40db at load on “Balanced” Windows power profile)

I really want to replace my 15" for something more portable and I really want to support reparability/sustainability, but it must have my top 2 and if I’m upgrading 3 and 4 would be really nice.

2 Likes

For all those asking for a matte screen, here is a possible solution from @Davy_Bell

1 Like

While it’s nice to know that a 3rd party option is available in matte, it really defeats the sustainable aspect of this laptop if I’m removing a perfectly good gloss screen first. Maybe if it was an option to oder without a screen… but something tells me that probably won’t happen.

3 Likes

I have not yet purchased one because AMD isn’t offered. I’ve been holding out on a personal laptop for a while because I’m waiting for Framework to offer AMD options, especially with the new 6000 series processors and iGPU’s. Hopefully that option becomes available in a reasonable timeframe so I’m not forced to go buy some other AMD powered laptop. I’d really like to support FW and I’d really like to buy through them. fingers crossed

2 Likes

Mouse buttons next to the trackpad:

(I don’t need the TrackPoint, just mouse buttons.)

4 Likes

For me the main problem with the laptop is that integrated graphics suck. A future version with a different chassis and the ability to add a discrete gpu from a list of choices (if possible) would make it worth it to me.

Integrated graphics have come a long way, the integrated graphics from even 2 years ago don’t hold a candle to integrated graphics today and that integrated graphics in 12th gen are upgraded from 11th gen which are comparable to Vega in performance

…Which is why AMD is finally producing RDNA iGPUs after years of Vega…jerks

2 Likes