Input Module Connector Board not detected

Yikes, I’m not sure then. Definitely just wait for support to respond but this seems like a bigger issue than just the connector module not working, possibly a dead mobo?

Update: the USB-C connector in the GPU as well as those in input port 1 and 4 are working, so I was able to install Windows using a couple of hubs… for the keyboard, mouse and USB drive. Seems to me that I may need this:

Possibly a Fastener Kit to mount the board to the Mid Plate so I asked Frame.work for those - they got back to me in ~12 hours - not bad!

1 Like

Very odd that only the USB C ports in 1 and 4 work. I’m also waiting for my replacement input module connector board but all of my USB ports work fine

Update: after 4 days of back and from, I finally got them to ship the whole mid-plate…

Oof. We’re also left without a functioning laptop and our return period is slowly ticking away lol. I’m pretty sure USPS lost my replacement connector too cause the last actual update was Friday and the delivery date came and went with nothing

I hope you get it soon! How long did it take to ship your replacement part? They must extend the return window if you do not get a part so you can test it and get it up and running, no?
Mine was delivered March 18 but only got to work on it on March 23 so I lost 5 days till I opened the ticket. I got this yesterday: “we’ve escalated your ticket for replacement processing and one of our staff will be back with you soon with additional instructions. Please note that our RMA and Repair team is currently experiencing high contact volume and response times have been impacted, resulting in minor delays. Thanks for your patience while our team works through requests as quickly as possible.”

It took them around 3 days from saying they ship it to them actually shipping it. I’ll follow up with them about the return window as my laptop also came on the 18th, but I did open the support ticket day of.

Found the issue with my unit: the latch that holds the ribbon connector on the bottom of the midplate is broken. Support sending a new midplate out soon.

4 Likes

It would be even better if that latch were available as spare part.

That’s not possible. The latch on ffc connectors is a non-removable part.

Wondering whether they’ll send a midplate with the module attached or if I’ll have to move the one I’ve got.

I don’t have my notebook yet, but the moving part might be exchangeable if it isn’t blocked when the connector is soldered in. Depends on the type and make of the connector, see Easy-On FFC-/FPC-Steckverbinder - Molex | Mouser for examples. If the stationary part is damaged, it will require soldering to replace the entire connector.
Is there a close-up photo of the connector used on the mid-plate somewhere?

The latches are not made to be removed / replaced. So they are not available separately. And they are extremely tiny. I’ve dealt with broken ones, and trying to fix them without just replacing the connector. It can be done sometimes, but it’s hard, and it would just be impossible for many. Not worth it for Framework, even if they were available as a separate part.

It looks like it’s a front flip up style, from one picture I’ve seen.

1 Like

Update: Thanks to the other discussion above^, I realized that my module connector cable was loose and detaching from the mid plate. It actually entirely detached as I was removing the mid plate again to look at it. I reattached it and latched it down and it works now. This might be your issue too as it was working previously but stopped. It seems as though it detaches too easily as it also detached again after I already latched it down, but I’m happy to have a functioning laptop. Hopefully USPS delivers my package soon but all’s well.

4 Likes

When flip style ffc connectors get damaged, they sometimes no longer lock firmly. Good that you have a replacement is coming.

2 Likes

That thing is maxed out! I hope you get it working.

1 Like

Yup - my LAST laptop :crossed_fingers:, so I went :crazy_face: with all specs (I did buy my own M.2s and RAM - can confirm that 2x48 GB work just fine.)
THANK YOU @MarkRendle and to @VeSeAr I fixed the whole problem as well. Same here, it detached after I disconnected the other end and all I had to do was to put the latch down and reconnect it! Replacement is on its way as well -so I will use that when it arrives . Seem that this is a weak point and Framework should be aware and make sure that is done properly on the assembly line! I had to reinstall the drivers pack as the fingerprint reader was no longer seen.

1 Like

I received my 16 near the beginning of April. I followed the assembly instructions and had the same issue. I use a USB wireless to load windows and the drivers, It seems to work ok but the keyboard, number pad, and touchpad do not work and I get the error shown above. I got the error before installing windows and the drivers. If the connector at one is pulled out I get the error that the connector is not connected. Framework replaced the mid plate and I got the error. They have now replaced the main computer and I still get the same error. I have check the connector that was suggested above. The latch was down and the connector seems to be inserted fully. I looked at all three mid plates I have. My son also has a 16 but added the video card. His works fine. The connector you discussed above is glued in place and it does not seem movable. Are there anymore suggestions. When I work on the 16 and it is plugged in. The is a red flashing LED near were the connector is. as soon as I connector it starts flasshing green. But when I attach the keyboard it starts flasing red.

Hi Michael, can you please confirm that you have received the email from our support team? Looks like we have contacted you about the replacement 4 days ago, but you have accidentally replied back to the automatic shipment/tracking email we have sent you, instead of the support email. Please feel free to send me a DM if you need help.

I will send the email to the normal support team. The new 16 had the exact same issue that the old one did.