Intel Xe vs. AMD for onboard laptop graphics

Hate to burst the bubble of AMD fans but it looks like Framework’s choice of using Tiger Lake Intel on its motherboards have significantly paid off. This LTT video shows how despite its current lower capability with programs compared to AMD onboard graphics, it absolutely crushes it in performance in both gaming and media rendering (when it’s compatible anyway.)

Glad to see Team Blue finally coming back after being de-throned and humiliated by AMD Ryzen.

3 Likes

I just wanted to add a bit to this: folks often claim that Vega mobile integrated graphics beats Intel Iris XE because AMD’s H CPUs perform better than, say, an i7 1195G7. Problem is, this comparison doesn’t make sense because AMD’s H CPUs are not built for notebooks (they require more power and better cooling, for instance).

A much more sensible comparison is Core i7 1165g7 (12-28 W) vs. Ryzen 7 5700U (10–25 W). The following video features a comparison of framerates for a variety of games. The two laptops are basically identical besides the CPU:

Spoiler: the performance is, overall, about equal. AMD wins some, Intel others.

I realize that price differences can be pretty wild, but MSRPs aren’t too reliable as you all know, and availability has been a large issue for some AMD laptops. Please don’t suppose I’m on “team blue” though, and I own/have owned both Intel and AMD products.

1 Like

Besides wattage you also need to take into account that the GPD Win is using faster LPDDR4x-4266 RAM, which the Iris Xe depends on to maintain its advantage. With DDR4-3200 and normalized for TDP, Vega 7 is on par in gaming performance with i7 Iris Xe. Though it does depend on the game somewhat.

3 Likes

If anything, the focus on boosting the graphics power inside of CPUs directly is a great path in a time of extreme GPU stock shortages and scalpings. I really don’t like the company’s past or the spyware capability its management engine supposedly has, but Intel is in a very good spot right now to help adapt the industry in a time of extreme chip shortage. Hoping the new management is taking a page out of AMD’s playbook and focusing on the actual product/technology now instead of marketing and coasting off laptop integrators…

@Jacob_Padgett That video probably isn’t the best comparison because the 5700U is actually Zen 2, which is more comparable with Intel 10th gen. So a better one would be the 5800U vs the 1165G7. Or perhaps something slightly higher than the 1165G7, which are identical but have slightly higher boost clocks, even on the GPU.

Then again, the fundamental comparison here was the GPUs, and this video is primarily comparing both of them. So if the games aren’t CPU bound, then it’s probably fine.

1 Like

Also note that the Intel unit had graphical issues in some games (PlayStation emulation). Hopefully those can be fixed with driver updates, but it’s something to keep in mind.

1 Like

Yep, saw that as well. As a user of a 1 Netbook Onemix 3pt these are very appealing. The issue with them is getting parts and repairs. Also with how tiny the Onemix I have is, it is running a 7 watt i7 and heat killed the keyboard on it. What the heck kind of a chance does a 25 watt CPU that I have in my Framework have in such a small device. I would be very concerned with product longevity on such a device.

Edit: Also typing on a keyboard like that is SURPRISINGLY not bad. I’ve done if for a little over a year, and you get used to it pretty quickly. I consider it quite impressive for how small it is. (The Framework keyboard is light years better of course, just saying.)

2 Likes