Introducing a new RISC-V Mainboard from DeepComputing

I don’t get the eMMC memory either, surely not a limitation of the processor. Competitive boards like SiFive Unmatched have NVMe as well. Sounds more like a cost saving measure

I’ve got hopes the board itself will be quite cost competitive compared to their intel and AMD boards.

2 Likes

For sure!!! Without a doubt

1 Like

Looking at DeepComputing store page, I do have doubts :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean? Their RISC-V laptop refresh starts at $399, that’s not much in the world of laptops.

2 Likes

Environmentally destructive / ethically doubtful at best. Or in other words, something that could potentially erode trust that Framework would do best to steer clear of.

(Especially considering that Framework refuses to offer a black option due to environmental reasons. This partnership is hardly aligned with that goal.)

6 Likes

Just so you know, i specifically spent my budget on framework over apple, due to it not being RISC-V.
As i see it, RISC-V wil be the next nail in the coffin for the FOSS community, because it will fracture the ecosystem into vendorspecific camps, that have no leverage in the broader terms. Also to me it comes across as an effort to transition computers as we know them into locked down “mobile” devices (that you have to jailbreak first, like disabling secure boot in the bios in order to install a custom OS wink wink). I do not support it.

Apple’s devices do not use RISC-V.

6 Likes

The JH7110 has a single PCIe interface, and DeepComputing connected it to WiFi on this board. We explored alternate architectures with them using a PCIe switch to share the single interface between an SSD and WiFi, but it leads to weird tradeoffs on performance, cost, and overall complexity. Instead, we kept this design focused and simple to make it a straightforward development board. Realistically, the CPU is slow enough that for real world usage, the storage speed isn’t going to be the usability constraint.

17 Likes

It feels like one of the points here is that this is intended to be a niche product, not the mainboard that makes sense for most people. One of the advantages of Framework’s platform is that companies can make components that only make sense for a small fraction of laptop users.

15 Likes

Yep, this is it!

14 Likes

Risc is a concept, Arm and Risc-V are two separate implementations.

Apples devices are Risc based, as they are using the proprietary ARM, but Risc-V is entirely open. It is, in fact, more open than X86-64 which is owned by Intel and AMD (Piecemeal with each but with cross-licensing). X86-64 is the architecture most computers use today

On X86-64 a manufacturer must get a license from these parties, which has lead to a duopoly in processors. Nobody else can use it without being granted a license.

Risc-V however is entirely open. Risc-v isn’t a nail, it’s a crowbar.

12 Likes

Gordon Freeman intensifies. Well said.

8 Likes

Every processor has a language it speaks. Programs (like chrome/firefox/whatever) when they are compiled from source code into executables, the compiler translates the code into the language the processor understands. The popular ones today are x86_64 which is used by almost every windows machine, Arm which is used by recent Apple computers and almost every cellphone, and Risc-V which is this motherboard.

The advantage of Risc-V is that it is open source. If you want to make an x86_64 processor then you need to be either AMD or Intel because they do not sell licenses to make x86_64 processors. If you want to make an Arm processor you need to pay Arm for a license. If you want to make a Risc-V processor, you can just do that because it is open source.

As an end user, you’re not going to see much of a benefit/difference, but personally I think the future is Risc-V because there is 1 fewer cost/hurdle to making a Risc-V processor.

I’d say the one particularly visible difference you’ll see as an end user is the Risc-V vector extensions were designed to be variable-length so instead of the situation we have on x86_64 where they release SSE1 then SSE2 then SSE3… then AVX512 and at each step, code compiled to use the newer extension won’t run on the older processors, with Risc-V the processor can have any size for its vector unit and programs will be able to make full use of it.

6 Likes

Awesome news! So excited for the possibilities. Not for this particular option, but rather that Chinese manufacturers would notice this platform and see that Framework is more than willing to cooperate. I am waiting for a “Raspberry PI” moment.

@nrp, I asked this before, but today is a good day to reiterate. I am wondering, would it be possible someday to order stripped down version of a laptop chassis without the mainboard? Factory seconds seem like a good start, but why would I need another mainboard to spare if I already have one?

Given that RISC-V board would always remain niche, I doubt that Framework would set up their production line for it. So, potential customers would need to buy everything needed part by part (which would probably be much more expensive) or to buy factory second with a mainboard they don’t need. Either of the options is not environmentally friendly.

The media articles and HackerNews about this topic which I could find are below. Congratulations and enjoy the articles!

9 Likes

FOSS is actually the community least likely to be fractured by this. Being open source, 99.9% of code can just be recompiled for any architecture you want. The only code that can’t be trivially recompiled for other architectures is assembly code. Its closed source code that fractures by CPU architecture (for example, most games being x86_64) which forces us into using compatibility layers like Rosetta.

I think you’re referring to the policy decision from Microsoft. Microsoft requires that Arm machines sold with Windows are sold with secureboot enabled and without the ability for the end-user to enroll their own keys. AFAIK this doesn’t apply to Risc-V because AFAIK there is no Risc-V release of Windows.

9 Likes

Huh, did you forget a 0 somewhere? Even their RC cars are more expensive.

I’m not sure what’s up here, but we see two totally different pages. Are you using USD?

4 Likes

That seems to be in HKD or the currency suggested for Belarus not USD, or CAD.

Sometimes this happens for me as I’m using a VPN with obfuscation so no worry. The computers are a bit pricey for their specs to be clear though, but nowhere near that lol.

Edit: after looking it seems like the price is fairly reasonable for the specs actually. Of course as Risc-V still doesn’t have the best support, and alot of work needs to be done to make it usable, it’s not going to perform nearly as well but I’m kinda suprised on price

3 Likes