Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

Emilia

38m

Is there any info on what battery the 16 inch laptop will use? Because a dGPU on the new 61wh battery doesn’t seem like such a good idea.

1 Like

Super excited about this! Especially all the new upgradable parts (including the new expansion card!!)

But I would encourage everyone who, like me, owns a Framework 13, to try and refrain from replacing with a 16. If the whole idea with the Framework is to reduce electronics waste and more generally our environmental footprint, getting a new laptop every time Framework releases something new and exciting really defeats the point.

Saying this with all the love in the world, let’s be strong and resist the urge, and wait another 10 years before replacing our Framework! :heart::mechanical_arm:

9 Likes

So with the expansion bay at the back (8 lanes) and the internal SSD (4 lanes) we only have 8 raw lanes left for the six card slots to share. In the (unlikely, admittedly) situation you needed a thunderbolt (4 lane) connection out of more than two of the six ports alongside everything else, is there a PCIe switcher being incorporated on the larger mainboard to expand beyond the CPU’s 20?

Follow-up question I’m really interested in the potential ecosystem interoperability between the 13 and the 16. if I wanted to keep my 13 and use the eGPU expansion bay enclosure, would that be possible in the “traditional” single TB4/USB4 cable or would the x8 connection of the expansion bay mean something more specialized?

3 Likes

Literally planning to sell two desktop gaming machines to get the Framework 16.

3 Likes

@Raph I agree with you. At the moment I don’t need a new laptop. The only thing I would like right now would be more GPU power. My initial plan was to get an eGPU enclosure with the newest Intel TB controller (I haven’t found any atm), but now that Framework will offer their own solution for GPUs (and you can still upgrade them over time), that might stop me from getting a GPU dock and switch to the 16 inch.

Even if I do end up making the move, I ofc will sell my 13 inch to somebody else. So I’d definitely not count it as wasted electronics :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not so @Christopher_Doman. Given that the motherboard is bigger than the 13in model, it seems likely that FW has added a chipset to the board to provide extra lanes. The storage and expansion bay could be have direct CPU lanes for best performance and the expansion cards be relegated to chipset lanes.

3 Likes

Hi there! I am in the Digital Foundry patreon discord and they are interested in testing it on their youtube channel and on eurogamer.net. Is there an email address I can send them, or I can DM the contact info of the reviewer who expressed interest.
Disclaimer: I am not a DF employee or anything, I just brought it to their attention this morning.

2 Likes

I presume so since they mentioned being able to use the expansion bay system with the 13in model.

What I think would be interesting is seeing an adapter from whatever framework’s expansion slot will be to traditional PCIe. Then a riser card attached to a physical desktop GPU would be interesting. Even if the expansion slot only supports PCIEx8 worth of bandwidth, it would be really nice to have an all-in-one computer setup that docks on your desk and you get that type of performance

6 Likes

This is exciting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you Framework Team. This is what many of us have been asking for since Framework first came on the scene. I will buy this machine, as long as the price is competitive.

3 Likes

Great news indeed. Looking forward to seeing the specs and config options. The framework 13 serves my needs but I always itched for a bigger screen and being able to use a beefy gpu. Very tempted to get the 16. Well, I will pitch it to friends and hopefully there be some adopters among them.

1 Like

I’m so excited for this laptop!

What I understand framework laptop 13 board will not work with framework laptop 16 right?

Another question is can it work without GPU? I am planning to attach my GPU only when I’m home but when carry outside left the GPU I’m attached.

What are the grill in the side of the laptop? Is it a speaker? If we decided to get the numpad we get less speaker?

Is the screen ratio same as 13? And we have the choice of the matte and glossy?

Last question is the weight. Any rough range?

I am absolutely ecstatic to hear about the 16" laptop.
I’ve loved using my 13", since I got it Nov 2021.
The only gripe I’ve had about the 13" so far, is the lack of the 3 dedicated mouse buttons by the touchpad. My previous laptop was a Thinkpad (which had a mainboard failure, hence the upgrade).
My question regarding the 16" laptop is; Has there been thought/consideration in incorporating the 3 Mouse buttons onto the keyboard in some fashion?
I understand why it isn’t on the 13", but I think it would be worth implementing on the larger-size laptop.
The 16" will definitely be my next laptop upgrade when the time comes, and I’ll be giving my 13" to another family member.

2 Likes

This is really exciting.

Will it have an option for a 13950HX and 157W boost power and thermal headroom?

2 Likes

This is incredible! The centered keyboard with no numpad reminds me of the 16 inch Mac books… I’d love if there was speaker modules that could go on either side of the keyboard for a big boost in sound quality! (And also so it doesn’t get muffled blasting down into my lap or blanket or whatnot)

8 Likes

I can’t be the only one that noticed the space above and below the touchpad. Considering the input configurability, physical mouse buttons above and/or below the touchpad when?

I know at least trackpoint/pointing stick users would demand such a thing, and the whole input configurability itself just sort of also screams to me “pointing stick when?”

Also, I’m very happy to see the ability to run without the discrete graphics - I definitely know some people in my family and friends that like a big screen but would actually be served more than well enough by decade-old integrated graphics let alone modern integrated graphics (especially those of the AMD variety that compete with dGPUs!)

Or, now that AMD is an option, why not Dragon Range which is basically a 7950X soldered into a laptop?

…which makes me think - you know, is there a reason that the mainboard for the Framework 16 can’t just straight-up use desktop CPU sockets? That’d be the ultimate in terms of upgradability and, at least on the AMD side of things, it’s very easy to simply use things like “eco mode” in the firmware to just cap the CPU to a lower wattage (GamersNexus previously showed that running the 7950X with 65w eco mode gets you most of the performance with drastically less power consumption: https://youtu.be/W6aKQ-eBFk0).

2 Likes

AMD option is also nice as well for the FL16. Always good to have options.

Another question, can it take 4 SO-DIMMS and will there be Quadro offerings?

2 Likes

With the insane SIXTEEN-inch display, display ratios like 16:10 should have been more achievable like what modern laptops provide because it would nice to have both vertical and horizontal space, with a minimal bezel to hold/support the display (of course without compromising the strength).

I hope it does.
I really love how num pads are introduced in this.

Display panel options with an OLED display panel, 120Hz refresh rate, 2K resolution, etc will be pleasing & welcoming to those edge users who want a more premium feel in the laptop.

Love to see the new F16 ship in New Zealand, a neighboring country of Australia where the product has already been shipping.

2 Likes

Is there a link somewhere for the framework pixel wallpaper visible in the promotional pictures for the 16"?

2 Likes