Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

Great news indeed. Looking forward to seeing the specs and config options. The framework 13 serves my needs but I always itched for a bigger screen and being able to use a beefy gpu. Very tempted to get the 16. Well, I will pitch it to friends and hopefully there be some adopters among them.

1 Like

I’m so excited for this laptop!

What I understand framework laptop 13 board will not work with framework laptop 16 right?

Another question is can it work without GPU? I am planning to attach my GPU only when I’m home but when carry outside left the GPU I’m attached.

What are the grill in the side of the laptop? Is it a speaker? If we decided to get the numpad we get less speaker?

Is the screen ratio same as 13? And we have the choice of the matte and glossy?

Last question is the weight. Any rough range?

I am absolutely ecstatic to hear about the 16" laptop.
I’ve loved using my 13", since I got it Nov 2021.
The only gripe I’ve had about the 13" so far, is the lack of the 3 dedicated mouse buttons by the touchpad. My previous laptop was a Thinkpad (which had a mainboard failure, hence the upgrade).
My question regarding the 16" laptop is; Has there been thought/consideration in incorporating the 3 Mouse buttons onto the keyboard in some fashion?
I understand why it isn’t on the 13", but I think it would be worth implementing on the larger-size laptop.
The 16" will definitely be my next laptop upgrade when the time comes, and I’ll be giving my 13" to another family member.

2 Likes

This is really exciting.

Will it have an option for a 13950HX and 157W boost power and thermal headroom?

2 Likes

This is incredible! The centered keyboard with no numpad reminds me of the 16 inch Mac books… I’d love if there was speaker modules that could go on either side of the keyboard for a big boost in sound quality! (And also so it doesn’t get muffled blasting down into my lap or blanket or whatnot)

8 Likes

I can’t be the only one that noticed the space above and below the touchpad. Considering the input configurability, physical mouse buttons above and/or below the touchpad when?

I know at least trackpoint/pointing stick users would demand such a thing, and the whole input configurability itself just sort of also screams to me “pointing stick when?”

Also, I’m very happy to see the ability to run without the discrete graphics - I definitely know some people in my family and friends that like a big screen but would actually be served more than well enough by decade-old integrated graphics let alone modern integrated graphics (especially those of the AMD variety that compete with dGPUs!)

Or, now that AMD is an option, why not Dragon Range which is basically a 7950X soldered into a laptop?

…which makes me think - you know, is there a reason that the mainboard for the Framework 16 can’t just straight-up use desktop CPU sockets? That’d be the ultimate in terms of upgradability and, at least on the AMD side of things, it’s very easy to simply use things like “eco mode” in the firmware to just cap the CPU to a lower wattage (GamersNexus previously showed that running the 7950X with 65w eco mode gets you most of the performance with drastically less power consumption: https://youtu.be/W6aKQ-eBFk0).

2 Likes

AMD option is also nice as well for the FL16. Always good to have options.

Another question, can it take 4 SO-DIMMS and will there be Quadro offerings?

2 Likes

With the insane SIXTEEN-inch display, display ratios like 16:10 should have been more achievable like what modern laptops provide because it would nice to have both vertical and horizontal space, with a minimal bezel to hold/support the display (of course without compromising the strength).

I hope it does.
I really love how num pads are introduced in this.

Display panel options with an OLED display panel, 120Hz refresh rate, 2K resolution, etc will be pleasing & welcoming to those edge users who want a more premium feel in the laptop.

Love to see the new F16 ship in New Zealand, a neighboring country of Australia where the product has already been shipping.

2 Likes

Is there a link somewhere for the framework pixel wallpaper visible in the promotional pictures for the 16"?

2 Likes

4k screen and speakers with better bass please. If opting not for numpad, please allow for upwards firing speakers.

4 Likes

I am holding on to my 13 . Really excited about a new battery option and matte screen. Will be making a desktop out of the new cooler case for chess engines with a refurb monitor. Maybe I’ll upgrade processor boards if there is a battery advantage? I’ve got some monster desktop builds for gaming and VR. I hope to have this laptop for a longtime. As for the 16, It is more than I need in a laptop, and probably not as powerful as my daily driver. I do love the ability to upgrade the Framework, hopefully they will not EOL when they make a pyle on the 16.

1 Like

Well damn, I really wish I didn’t go all in on the 13". Oh well, I am glad that my purchase and posts help spur on some sort of development into a larger, more powerful laptop that I hope to own at some point. Providing that I could get over the hump of getting a buyer for my gently used 13" and a promise that it will be the “last laptop you will ever own”.

3 Likes

This is the laptop I’ve been waiting for! Please let me put the numpad on the left side!

2 Likes

Just had another realization - surely with the larger chassis it now has two internal m.2 slots… right? Right? Even if the second slot is just an m.2 2230 to go with the “not compatible with Framework” m.2 2230 SSD that Framework sells on their marketplace?

I am confused by your reference to modern laptops - it’s the older laptops that are 16:9 (late 2000s and most of the 2010s) and even older ones that are 16:10 (mid 2000s); newer laptop designs tend to just go for anything taller than 16:9, whether 5:3, 16:10, 3:2, etc.

As long as it’s glossy again (or the semi-gloss coating that the likes of LG uses on their OLED TVs?) so as to not have elevated blacks during the day.

It should be worth noting that the current display can actually run at rates higher than 60Hz if you make a custom resolution, albeit only maxing out at around 72Hz back around a year ago.

Err, but it already is a 2K resolution? You know, 2156 pixels wide since the K stands for thousand (derived from “kilo”), hence 3k = ~3000 (e.g. 3072px, 3200px), 4k = ~4000 (e.g. 3840px, 4096px), 5k = ~5000px (usually 5120px), etc.

2 Likes

Great announcement! What are the limitations for the input modules: Can we hope for a full deck touch screen as a possibility? I always use external keyboard and mouse, and that would give an inbuilt second display, still capable of inputs in a pinch.

or, for an expensive alternative: with proper stylus support!

2 Likes

I think the question is: How much choice does Framework really allow here? They can’t sell each and every possible mobile dGPU out there, so the range you can get will be limited.

With an eGPU enclosure you can also use the GPU on other computers or even laptops, which will probably not the case (or harder) with the expansion bay system.

As for me, I will stick to my eGPU setup for now. It’s dynamic, it’s working and its fast enough for me. That doesn’t mean that I will stick to it forever, in fact, I hope Framework will have big success in their expansion bay system and can offer a variety of new products based on it.

2 Likes

It seems that info will be available soon, ref: the initial post above

1 Like

At least for the current AMD generation, I think its not gonna work. The IHS is 3mm thick to keep cooler compatibility. This would add a lot of height to a cooler assembly. Also the temperatures in a laptop are high enough as it is. A delidded CPU might be doable, but I dont think AMD sells them like that

1 Like

Holy cow, were my prayers answered! And then some!

And to add onto your point, if somebody wanted to buy an Intel CPU over an AMD one, they would probably have to switch the motherboard anyways if they wanted to upgrade due to intel changing their sockets every 2 years. This pretty much killed the last big upgradable laptop of this class, the area 51-m

2 Likes