Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

Tau is 28seconds on the Framework Laptop.

But you get something like this:

The area in red is the potential performance lost due to thermal throttling.
The processor doesn’t reach 60w (my unit, 11th gen), and the wattage will continue to drop as the processor is trying to maintain the temperature to under 100c. The duration of the PL2 is 28secs, then PL1 kicks in…dropping to 28w, sustained.

The most ideal / capable laptops would have the red area in blue, full 60w for the entire duration of tau. But that’s not the Framework laptop.

The fan speed profile doesn’t seem to change in Windows between the different Power Modes. Ideally, if the fan spin-up can be more responsive / aggressive in “Best performance” mode, that could change the slope gradient of the thermal throttling period…to something a bit flatter.

3 Likes

Correctly and incorrectly. The major version of the product as reported through all of the version-related APIs (as far down as RtlGetVersion) is 10. The marketing version is not reported through any APIs.

2 Likes

So Windows 11 is both Windows 11 and Windows 10 at the same time…that’s one way to do quantum computing…

2 Likes

It’s taking all my strength not to purchase 12th gen… I REALLY want to see an AMD main board before I do an upgrade. .

1 Like

I’m sure the stress from holding on it’s that beneficial, maybe a tropical holiday would be a happier experience. Find one without Wi-Fi and telephone or you will keep checking and then after a year come back from the Pacific island to what’s happening down town.

All the best.

2 Likes

That is good to see, I’m having difficulty achieving that on 11th gen i5-1135G7. Where you in a walk in freezer by chance? :wink:

I cannot get above ~40W with Cinebench R23 / cpu benchmarks and only ~50W with prime95.

The limit is always indicated as thermal but even at the start of R23 (when there is thermal headroom) the power never seems to target above the low 40s.

This is a thin and light laptop, I’m not expecting a desktops performance profile but I do expect it to be able to hit the 60W boost it states it can do.

i5-1135G7 (set to “best performance”) Windows 10.

R23:

Prime95:

4 Likes

If anyone has the equipment…maybe test out how flat the contact plate is of the CPU heatsink. Something like what’s done here:

Mounting pressure on laptops can’t (typically) be as high as that of desktops, so to get the best thermal transfer of any contact made, flatness is even more of a key factor in laptops. Ideally, as flat and as polished as the die.

Doesn’t have to be as precise as these examples:

And definitely doesn’t need to be this flat:

2 Likes

but basically - SO WHAT? You have new spec, while We can’t buy ANY spec still in Poland. Sorry, but I was expecting to be able to at least prorder late 2021. We are in mid 2022, you have NEW GEAR and still nothing in Poland, new nor old. I really need to replace my t420 thinkpad, and if there is nothing till next month I’m just going to bite the bullet and go with apple m1 macbook. Sorry.

1 Like

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you view the matter), you trying to say “I won’t buy this product if it’s not available next month!” won’t magically make Framework go “oh okay here you go it’s available in Poland now.”

This kind of stuff takes time, money, cooperation with shipping services, planning, and many other things. Framework doesn’t have the same capabilities as Dell, Apple, Lenovo, HP, or other companies. They need time to do things, and Framework can’t take risks.

9 Likes

No, I’m not making demands. I’m venting my frustration and sadness.

2 Likes

In this scenario they are demands, demands that forum users see your frustration and then have to decidd to ignore it/you or respond.

Clearly you are not demanding that Fairphone do what you want, but you were targetting them via a public forum so we all feel the frustration which is very demanding.

if you really want to speak to Framework about you frustration you can contact them, but to try and influence them via a public forum is akin to adding pressure similar to bullying. You get people on your side or maybe not, so again I can see why it can be deemed demanding.

By the way I’m not denying your clear frustration, just wondering if there is a better way to focus it to those that have the ‘power’ to decide without pressuring them with frustration.

I really don’t know.

There’s not even an EU real market place, all the items bought through it are comming from Taiwan with a 24€ carriage fee even for a usb cable.

People do get upset when they don’t get what they want, so a) do we produce more so everyone gets what they want or b) do we want less and become less demanding.

We often hear the later touted but it seems it is the first that keeps the banks alive and the real workers in mines and factories not much better off than slaves in some locations.

:cry:

Don’t forget this is a topic about the new Framework laptop not about any wider availabilty.

2 Likes

I see this as demand…for the product (as in supply and demand)…with Framework not able to supply yet.

Yeah, just go with something else for now. It’s not something you want to buy without applicable warranty for your region.

3 Likes

Well ok, or you could just write “Come on buddy you can make it. Just wait a little longer, give a little more patience, they are doing the best they can” :wink:

3 Likes

To those of you frustrated at Framework not being available in your country. Don’t worry.

Maybe waiting longer will pay off big-time. :wink:

3 Likes

Many do not want or need auto-update bloatware loaded on their system :slight_smile:

To throw myself into a month-old discussion: IMO most of these other points are beyond-nitpicky, the build quality on the framework is great for it’s price range. I understand from your previous comments that your machine is super-kitted out - which bumps you up a few laptop price-range brackets - but for most the framework cost about ~$1k. The only point I’d really give you is #2 about the speakers, which don’t really rattle the chassis on my machine but they aren’t amazing. Any of the other points either do not apply to my machine, or they are complete non-issues unless I one day decide to attack my laptop with precision calipers.

As for “who the upgrades are for”, this is how I see it: there is absolutely no need to upgrade from 11th to 12th gen. It makes sense that framework is offering 12th gen, so they may as well also offer the upgrade option. You need these kits available anyways in case someone needs a replacement mainboard. However, in a few years when there are multiple generations of hardware improvements, it might make sense for more people to upgrade their mainboard from 11th to (?)th-gen Intel or AMD.

Anyone who is going to upgrade their mainboard every year is in the 5% who can burn that kind of money. Most of those boards are going in a landfill - and while that’s better than a whole machine going in the landfill - it’s still quite a waste unless you can find something cool to do with the old board.

I’m not so sure about many not wanting the BIOS and driver updates, they seem rather essential to iron out soem issues.

1 Like

Nitpicking, has a somewhat overlap with presentation, attention to details and perceived quality (not always functional benefit, or has diminishing benefit return). It’s all around us, particularly in the premium / luxury market. “Nitpicking” is not exclusive to those markets / products. The degree of attention paid to the overall product during design, manufacturing, packaging, shipping, delivery…everything step along the way, has a price, and has a perception value associated to the product as a whole.

Examples:
Stitching uniformity:

Presentation, what’s the nutrition value there…not much. But it’s a perceived quality thing:

Check out this channel for real examples of quality, attention to detail, repurpose, remade:

It’s about having the ‘option’ of not having to check the forum / find the discussion thread. Just like right to repair is also about having options.

Just noticed something about the 12th gen page… Is it 2-year (screenshot) or 1-year (bottom of that page) warranty:

Different areas have different warranties so check that carefully.
US has 1 year EU has 2 year

Framework warrants that Framework branded products, parts, and modules (“Product”) when used in accordance with Framework documentation and guidance, are and will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of delivery of the Product (the “Warranty Period”). However, if you purchase the Product for delivery to the UK, EU or EFTA, the Warranty Period shall be two (2) years.
Framework | Framework | Warranty

That’s my point. I’ve circled “/ca/en/”…and both 2-year and 1-year appear on the SAME page.

1 Like