Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

I have the 11th gen board and I’ve used a 45W usb type c charger. If I’m REALLY hammering away on my device (playing video games or compiling large projects) then my battery would slowly drain, but otherwise 45W is enough.

This is very impressive. I wouldn’t have expected such an announcement at this time. Considering external challenges and the hurdles usually faced by a small and growing company, I felt something like this would come 2023…

And most importantly, you kept your key promise and doubled down with things like improving the lid and making it available as an upgrade (once you have stock I guess).

In my view, instead of depreciating the value of the Gen1 Framework, as would be the case with most manufacturers older devices, you’re actually appreciating the value by providing these upgrade paths.

I’d like to say I’m sold, but I already own a Framework. And I’m quite happy with it.

8 Likes

Very exciting! I’ve been waiting for a newer cpu to be offered to purchase. Curious about the graphics chip of the i7-1280P. Is it the Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 96EUs or the 80EUs? The page only says it’s Iris XE Graphics.

The GPUs between the 11th gen and 12th gen are identical, with the 12th gen i7s clocked a little higher.

The 1260P and 1280P have 96 EUs while the 1240P has 80 EUs.

3 Likes

Is there going to be any trade-in program for the 11th gen mainboard and top cover?

e.g. For people who aren’t DIYers / makers / creators, there ought to be some kind of a recycle program, officially from Framework, to support that environmental aspect of upgrade-ability and sustainability.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’d love something like that! I’m certain that others would be happy to trade in their old parts and pay the difference for the new upgrade!
And I’m not just saying that because I bought my laptop in late April :sweat_smile:, It’s genuinely a good idea.

Does the new cover improve WiFi reception as well? There seems to be these plastic parts embedded into the cover this time around.

Looking forward to the Ethernet module. Will the final product be in the same plastic enclosure? I really love the look.

@FrameworkBee, I noticed that the 12th now supports up to 30W sustained…does that mean the fan and heatsink has been improved as well? If so, can the new “fan & heatsink” unit be retro fitted to 11th gen board? (Assuming it’s mechanically retro-fit-able, such as screw locations, thermal contact points…etc)

Think I’ll wait to see the feedback from the early adopters of the new mainboard before making another purchase… Need time to save up in the piggy bank.

@Ironsidemaster
(I seem to have hit “3 replies in the same topic” limit…I’m new here, so adding the response here instead)
I mean, as the new lid has more ‘plastic’ slices, does that mean the new lid provide better signal penetration to/from the antenna?

A_Fan
It looks like the wifi antenna is located in the same spot as the normal cover

I don’t know if this is what you meant though, it should probably get the same reception that it’s currently getting now!

@A_Fan I would think so! If I remember correctly on most smartphones the antenna area is made of plastic for better signal, so it would make sense for the antenna to have better signal penetration if it goes through the plastic slices.

What’s not clear from the photos is that those ‘slices’ might just be foam backing for the display panel. So I’m hoping to hear what exactly those triangle pieces are.

The driver and BIOS download page is here: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)
It describes how to check BIOS version, I don’t know how to check driver version.

1 Like

I don’t see an option for wireless hardware in the DIY version order page. Has something changed here? Are we strictly on “bring your own” mode for that, or is it built in on this new board?

Welcome to the forum

I think it would be a lot more than that. Why would Framework want a use part for just the diff in price, they could sell it as new.

Maybe a discount of 50% of the old price??

Thanks!
But since all the options for linux are appearantly still in beta I might wait a while before upgrading anything. It runs fine right now afterall

The wifi card comes pre-installed on the current diy versions. It might be that they don’t list it anymore because of that

Very good news! How about the hinges, any stronger?

My guess is that it will run but might throttle under turbo/high load.
I’m curious, why do you want to use PoE? What is your usecase where regular power is not feasable?

This is the version I have been waiting for. Placed the order for the i7-1280P DIY Edition.

Looking forward to replace my 4 year old XPS 13 9370 with this beast.

4 Likes

Is a partial upgrade possible? I’m pretty happy with the top cover as it is, and would like just the added computing power. Is that possible, or do you have to replace the top cover to fit the new motherboard?

1 Like

Hi and welcome

I’m sure you will find the motherboard can be swapped without any other to do. :slight_smile:

Just don’t see it available yet as a ‘part’ in the EU / UK / US