Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

What’s not clear from the photos is that those ‘slices’ might just be foam backing for the display panel. So I’m hoping to hear what exactly those triangle pieces are.

The driver and BIOS download page is here: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)
It describes how to check BIOS version, I don’t know how to check driver version.

1 Like

I don’t see an option for wireless hardware in the DIY version order page. Has something changed here? Are we strictly on “bring your own” mode for that, or is it built in on this new board?

Welcome to the forum

I think it would be a lot more than that. Why would Framework want a use part for just the diff in price, they could sell it as new.

Maybe a discount of 50% of the old price??

Thanks!
But since all the options for linux are appearantly still in beta I might wait a while before upgrading anything. It runs fine right now afterall

The wifi card comes pre-installed on the current diy versions. It might be that they don’t list it anymore because of that

Very good news! How about the hinges, any stronger?

My guess is that it will run but might throttle under turbo/high load.
I’m curious, why do you want to use PoE? What is your usecase where regular power is not feasable?

This is the version I have been waiting for. Placed the order for the i7-1280P DIY Edition.

Looking forward to replace my 4 year old XPS 13 9370 with this beast.

4 Likes

Is a partial upgrade possible? I’m pretty happy with the top cover as it is, and would like just the added computing power. Is that possible, or do you have to replace the top cover to fit the new motherboard?

1 Like

Hi and welcome

I’m sure you will find the motherboard can be swapped without any other to do. :slight_smile:

Just don’t see it available yet as a ‘part’ in the EU / UK / US

Super excited about this!

Yeah, Framework needs to somehow demonstrate that there’s some sustainability processes in place for non-DIYers / makers / creators, from a top-down perspective. Not just eBay-ing things off…otherwise, there’s no real differentiator to any other electronics that’s put on eBay.

Alternatively, it speaks volume when / if the manufacture doesn’t even want their stuff back…

Sustainability is a life-cycle. You can’t sell the idea of sustainability without providing the life-cycle processes in place.

That is exactly what I was looking for! I have a question on the Ram though: Intel 12th gen support both DDR4 and DDR5 - can the mainboard/chipset handle DDR5 as well? Would the overall performance profit from installing DDR5?

The CPUs can handle either DDR4 or DDR5.

The 12th gen Framework mainboard has DDR4 sockets.

Yes there would be a performance benefit for DDR5 but this allows us to reuse existing DDR4 and you’ll be thankful Framework made this decision if you try to price DDR5 SODIMMs. :flushed:

1 Like

Is anyone aware of any issues from the 11th gen mainboard that’s hardware related and can’t be / hasn’t been addressed by software/firmware? Wondering what the benefit will be other than just performance differences.

Trying to weigh the options between to upgrade and not to upgrade…

It says “Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics eligible” for all 3 of them.
I cannot find info/specifics on that Iris Xe Graphics that is included with the 12th gen, Intel CPUs.

What specifics are you looking for?

Intel obfuscates this for marketing reasons (they’ve been known to re-use the same GPU with very minor tweaks for several CPU generations, and yes AMD does it too with APU graphics (friggin Vega…)). Your best chance is looking at the EU count, then trying to find out through reviews if the nth generation graphics core is the same as the n+1th generation graphics core. A lot of times you can get a hint from the DirectX feature set, but here it’s the same.

tl;dr- I would expect very similar integrated graphics performance between the two generations.

1 Like

The GPUs are essentially the same from 11th gen to 12th gen. There’s a small speed increase with the Core i7s but they’re otherwise identical.

The Core i5 comes with 80 EUs, the Core i7s 96 EUs, like before. Just a slight speed increase with the Core i7s.

1 Like