Introducing the new and upgraded Framework Laptop

Just got the this reply from Framework Support asking about the unreachable 60W boost of my laptop:

Sounds like Framework Support is saying it’s wasn’t designed to be practically ‘capable’ of 60W boost… just ‘theoretical’ (Intel’s wording).

Sent a reply asking about Framework Support what the 60w Boost mentioned in product material is meant to convey then in this case…as it seems unattainable.

1 Like

This is a little concerning to me and I am very interested in knowing what tweaks I can do to get the laptop to its maximum potential.

That’s just my interpretation of the response from Framework Support.

Currently waiting for them to clarify what “60w boost” means…and how should we understand it, and have the right expectation (because it seems like the reply is saying what I expect is not what the laptop can do).

2 Likes

@RandomRandomRandom

I’m not sure they ever advertised that it could indefinitely do 60W turbo

1 Like

I don’t expect ‘indefinitely’.

Here’s what was in mentioned in my ticket:
PROCHOT / Thermal Throttling is seen within 5 seconds, with max TDP only reaching around 51.5 – 52.2W.

Never reached 60W boost, let alone 60W for the duration of 25 – 30 seconds tau.

Man, this brings the question of the 30W and 60W numbers of the 12th gen mainboard. Is the 30W sustainable? (For the 11th gen, 28W was sustainable, which was really good)

Has the 12th gen mainboard cooling been improved to ‘reach’ 60W (“run up to”)?

Unless Framework is lying…

EDIT: It is worth noting that the i7-1280P isn’t mentioned there, probably because of the extra 2 cores.

Update from Framework Support with this response (including the red markup lines):

That 60W mention doesn’t look promising.

Some update:
Got the following response from Framework Support, specifically on what the “60w boost meant to convey”:
"Thank you for your inquiry.

As to what has been mentioned in the past conversation, this is a way to show off that it has the ability to boost and almost perform like a desktop processor.
"

Base on this, and previous replies, the ‘60w’ is not attainable with this laptop at room temperature (and Framework considers it ‘normal behavior’).

The ‘boost’ wording is meant to give a subjective sense of ‘like a desktop processor’. (And well, technically, it does boost / pl2)

Wish Framework would provide a more realistic number such a 50w or 52w, as that’s what seems to be reachable by a few users here.

Probably wise to ignore that “60w boost”…seems like marketing department at work here.

Yeah, I got played by the 60w numbers on paper. It’s not achievable.

There is a major difference between the theoretical boost and real figures. You will generally never reach 60 watts maybe 55 but not usually 60. TDP is under maximum theoretical load. Never actually tested on a laptop.

1 Like

or Intel is lying, which wouldn’t be the first time by a long shot.

Isn’t it like desktops where the boost is simply limited by thermal headroom? So if the chip was cool enough it would reach ~60W until TAU expires? When testing I got up to the low 50Ws but immediately thermal throttling resulting in continuous dropping power down to 28W.

2 Likes

I suppose someone may one day test in a cold room or fridge, but clearly the issue is temperature related.

So a 60W ceiling isn’t commonly attainable.

On the bright side knowing it can do 60W means I can hopefully run 32W or 23W . . . .

1 Like

Think there might be a couple of ways to look at this:

1. Design and tested to be capable of cooling the heat generated by the theoretical load. Or
  2. Design & hope to be capable of cooling the heat generated by the theoretical load. But not tested.

[Decent] Mobile workstations & gaming laptops fall into the first category, generally. With consumer laptops falling into the second category. Business laptops, somewhere between the two, depends on specific model and pricing brackets.

I know for a fact that some mobile workstations do boost up to 80w, and doesn’t throttle at all for the full duration of 56 seconds. But they’re way thicker / bulkier. For example, the P15 Gen 2, with 11800H. The 11800H can have a PL2 up to 100w+, but Lenovo limited it 80w OOTB. Different models have different thermal solutions for the thermal headroom and different actual performance expectation.

Thin & light laptops definitely have some compromises, and Framework isn’t immune to this. But the issue doesn’t seem to be around whether it’s powerful or not…but more about whether it can realistically, practically do what’s stated by Framework, “allows the CPU to run up to” 60w boost. Having the 60w expectation is not unreasonable if it’s stated in Framework blogs. IMO, what’s not quite reasonable is that it’s stated in the blogs, but can’t realistically deliver.

How’s that considered as “allows” if it thermal throttle during regular room temperature?

2 Likes

May be a good idea to show where you get the statement from as else it’s just hearsay. But as you point out, it’s disingenuous to say it can due to some other source, when it can’t.

So yes did Framework just pass on some specs without testing, as I imagine most people do most of the time.

Original post by nrp (here), linked to by @GhostLegion here:

So you have no actual quote from Framework that it can run at 60W?

I’ll have a look later.

nrp IS Framework’s CEO / Founder. Did you not click on the links? Or are you saying posts made by nrp with “Framework Team” and “Blog” tags still don’t represent “Framework” (the company)?

Here, screenshot:

1 Like

I saw this, below the link, so though it was not confirmation. Like I said I will look later. Thanks