Introducing the new Framework Laptop 13 with Intel Core Ultra Series 1 processors

As I expected, the Framework 13 AMD is still almost universally faster and/or more power efficient than the new Intel CPU.

1 Like

The intel may gain a bit of ground over time as it is a quite new and different architecture than before but I do doubt intel beats amds raw core perf/w. They may majorly win in some more specific areas like low load video playback if linux is able to use the new hardware right (and also keeps not being able to use the amd hardware right XD).

Good to have options though.

1 Like

Bummer…now it’s giving me 2nd thoughts as to whether I should keep or skip my CUS1 order. I’m hoping reviewers will be able to get their hands on the new units (and post performance reviews) in time before delivery.

I do hope for a fast system…if Framework can at least tell us the TDP, then we could at least guesstimate.

I can’t find any info on an Acer Swift Go “13” (Phoronix test laptop)…though I see there’s an Acer Swift Go “14”. With the 14 inch, Notebookcheck did a power limit comparison:

I would be happy if the 165H can perform at the same efficiency level as the 7840U at 28 and 35 watts. (So that I don’t need to deal with video playback [high] power consumption in linux with AMD)

…but that might be overly optimistic if the following is still true in Q3 2024 (article was written back in Q4 2023):

It’s such a strange year to be picking up a new consumer laptop. Never seen such a strong competition in the consumer processor space. (AMD, Intel, Qualcomm and Apple…architecture aside). Consumers are more tech savvy / educated than before, the focus / awareness on performance per watt is such a strong decision factor these days.

LTT’s video (while the focus is on the Snapdragon X Elite, it does also show 155H compare to the 7840U):

155H is looking rather underwhelming there.

1 Like

We don’t know if those new intel chips are any better on that front jet, the architecture changes they made for low power video playback on windows may not help on linux. On windows the video playback power use on the amd side is also quite good.

True. Best not to assume anything. I’m going to wait for the reviews.

1 Like

I actually got one (Core Ultra 9) not a framework though, video playback seems to draw the same power on Linux and windows could maybe have a difference of a watt or two but so far I even saw lower power consumption on Fedora compared to windows. Big issue though, external monitor flickers on Linux.

I have one too, first of all a watt or two are a pretty big difference here and it is a lot more than that. If you are just compairing total power of both linux may still win because it has a lot less background bs going on but compared to idle windows still does a lot better. Weirdly 4k playback recently got a bit better shaving off almost 2W but lower res stuff remains at the same power as my initial tests.

I don’t have that.

1 Like

I really hope it will be early August, when the first batch is sent out

2 Likes

So, what memory kit are y’all buying?

I assume this new model still won’t have support for XMP, right?

I’m eyeing a kit from Kingston, KF556S40IBK2-32 (32 GB) / KF556S40IBK2-64 (64 GB), do you think that’s a good choice?

Either of those should be fine (and also in the tested list). That is what I am going with (2x16Gb) on my AMD one.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes the choice easy then. I’m likely going with 32 GB as well, I can’t really think of a use case I have for 64 GB on this particular machine, and I feel like by the time I need/want 64 GB the CPU/mainboard I may have upgraded to would use CAMM memory anyway.

Waiting to see some reviews…should be any day now…

3 Likes

For real! I’m dying to get mine!!!

Also, I’m scheduled to start a new gig in January 2025, however, I may be able to go early. I cannot go without my new laptop though. My old laptops are old, unreliable, and cobbled together from parts. I need a new laptop for my next gig.

I’m batch 2 though. I hope that batch 1 starts shipping next week!! That way I can have the hope of getting my batch 2 before the end of September. :

1 Like

That would be nice, I keep scanning LTT, he might get it first because he invested money in Framework. Let’s see if he get a review unit early

2 Likes

That is a good idea. I’m glad you said that. I’m going to go by and look at his page too. I had not thought of that. :smiley:

This particular point seems applicable here to the Core Ultra Series 1…and the Framework Laptop. Where’s the cTDP information from manufacturer / Framework?

i’m so ready for this new screen for my fw13 ryzen 7. i’m in batch 1. hopefully it starts shipping very early august :smiley:

2 Likes

Still no reviews out yet. Please share them here if you find one.

1 Like

For sure! I’m checking every evening. @ me if you find one before I do! If I find one, I’ll come here and @ you :smiley:

1 Like

It has since changed, BUT…
Framework sales page for the 7840 with 2.8k showed batch 2 as August until it sold out.
Now it just says “sold out” and Batch 3 shows “September”.
(The Ultra Batch 2 isnt sold out and indicates “August” the same way the AMD did previously)

Obviously that little block of text means nothing without an “official” update.
(I’m located in the USA. No idea if these indicators are region specific.)

1 Like