Is there any plan to build bigger laptop?

@Banana there is no portable monitor too.
I even try to make laptop by my own, such as buy panel and timer, controller.
And I asked does plan exist, not begging like a baby.
Find information before advise someone.

To be fair, 18" laptops do exist.

And there was a time when “luggable” computers were hauled about. He’s just illustrating a use case and asking if they’re considering it, knowing they probably aren’t.

But, Banana pointed something else out that’s quite true - you can even get portable screens that hook on to the base one.

Product: Xebec Tri-Screen 2

Review: The work-from-home dream is a NIGHTMARE. - Xebec Tri-Screen 2 - YouTube

Knockoff version, review: I thought I wasted my money... Turns out I needed this all along! - YouTube

Might be worth considering. Depends on what you’re trying to do, Jumo.

1 Like

But he’s looking for larger than 18"

To answer the OP’s question, Framework has announced no plans for an even larger laptop beyond the Framework-16. And they don’t reveal plans until they make official announcements, so in the unlikely event that they were considering a laptop larger than 18" it wouldn’t be revealed.

And I have to agree that laptops larger than 18" are very likely to be way too niche for Framework at this point. Understand that Framework is a small company right now.

3 Likes

@BarriBurt I’ve saw it and considered about it, but not too wide for my sight to reach.
I was considering this without wing display.
So portable display will be an option, but couldn’t find one.

@MJ1 Thanks for your answer. It helped very much. I appreciate your information.

No current plans for anything larger than our upcoming Framework Laptop 16. As @MJ1 mentioned, anything beyond 16"/17" is extremely niche, and the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

9 Likes

@TheTwistgibber Thanks for official answer! I will always root for framework!

4 Likes

I had a 17" at university. Honestly, never again. it was too big.

2 Likes

Ohhh would this 18" laptop also have Firewire and S-video modules? :rofl:

Why not go full meme like the 21" acer thing that came in a rolling pelican case XD

There are use cases for large (18 inch, or larger in the future) laptops:

1 Like

how funny guys up there.
I’m video editor, and need portable great display computer.
If you ever used editing programs such as Davinci resolve, premiere pro, you’ll know my need.
I’m not gamer. That’s why I need this kind of portable display, aka laptop.
It’s okay to make fun of me, but want you to know I’m serious.

I have, quite apart from the fact that premiere pro was one of the worst programs I’ve ever had the misfortune to use (open the titler = instant automatic crash to desktop, guaranteed, no multicore support despite claims to the contrary). I would never use either on a laptop. Some workloads just aren’t suitable for laptops, video processing falls into this category.

1 Like

When laptops are deployed to the battlefield where it’s a life or death matter…the issue isn’t with the form factor…but rather, the quality of the hardware and / or the quality of the software.

The ISV certification tax is a real thing…and at times, it really matters.

@Peter_Schofield Strong agree with you, but I don’t have choice.
I should use laptop for editing because I should go to school and edit every single break time.
To me, laptop isn’t choice.

You might be in luck…depending on where you are and what you need…a mobile workstation on sale (Canada):

He’s not looking for a mere 16".

Easy fix, add this (though the brightness isn’t quite there):

Yea, who doesn’t have a spare $4,000 ($1 per pixel) burning a hole in their pocket? And if you check, it does not appear to be available for sale anymore. Which might be good, some reviews are not great. Hard to ignore considering the very premium price

OP has the budget. Just not sure if it’s a budget for the solution, or budget for Framework specifically. (When you pay for a ‘solution’, you don’t think about things like “that heat pipe is too expensive”)

$4k for a display in the colour grading space is ‘low-mid range’ in that space (price-wise).

Needing / wanting a solution that’s not needed by everyone…is always going to be expensive. No news here.

That’s why mobile workstations with 10bit displays (GPU and panel support, plus ISV) tend to have a $3.5k-ish starting price. People who priced the hardware know the use case, the audience, the specific fields / discipline that needs this…who has the budget.

(Also why any ‘workable’ MBP for video editing starts at $4k really when you get the storage and memory and cores up to scratch. They’re not charging you for the hardware, they’re charging you for your use case. They want a cut of the profit that you completed the work using their hardware.)