Join us for the Framework Next Level Event on March 23rd

Hey I actually called it for once!

@CodeAsm Given no mention of Coreboot…I’m not too hopeful. I would’ve screamed had they announced that.

2 Likes

I think that the 16" wouldn’t be able to use previous mainboards, am I right?
It would probably need special connectors, e.g. for the optional dGPU etc.

2 Likes

So excited to see more of the mechanics in that 16", looks super ambitious

We can now order a new battery and put the old one in a seperate case, and use them BOTH. Absolutely awesome.

2 Likes

Given that the new model has 3 bays on each side, it must be a new mainboard

3 Likes

@GhostLegion Yes, you’re right it’s obvious. But I don’t mind!
The possibilities that all of this opens are so fantastic!

2 Likes

I am now torn between getting the AMD Phoenix mainboard now (not sure if it is a 760M or 780M) and waiting Intel Meteor Lake 14th Gen for AV1 encoding. AMD’s GPU would be really nice for gaming on the go but for editing and encoding, Linux software can be kinda annoying to get it working.
The RDNA 3 780M is between the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 I think. Meteor Lake iGPU would be somewhere around the A380 in terms of execution units which is around the GTX 1060 6 GB desktop?
Also, the limitations of USB for the AMD mainboard is also kinda making me reconsider too.

The 16" inch is too big for my use case (I have a 12 Core desktop at home).

I like the CoolerMaster case too, I am wondering if I can use thermal pads to use the top as a heat spreader.

Still didn’t see coreboot though.

Aiming to get these few things:

• AMD/Intel mainboard
  • 61Wh battery
  • transparent bezel (maybe skip this because of the other upgrades and not enough money LOL)
  • CoolerMaster case

That being said, maybe I will sell my 12th Gen mainboard instead of getting the CoolerMaster case, then wait for 14th gen and compare both.

Media articles about this topic: :smile:

Hacker News

Note that TechCrunch mentioned “Framework 13” instead of “Framework Laptop 13”. It’s not accurate.

9 Likes

while i suspect the reality is different, technically speaking, do 2 of them actually need to be active? you could just make use of the 13" board and limit to 4 ports.

you get into complexity with 13" board in 16" so that width difference would need TB4 extenders to make up the difference… but guess we need more details on it to be 100% even if assumptions will likely be accurate.

AMD, larger battery, matte screen, and a number of other announcements all useful stuff in the future for me but i’ve no pressing need to actively replace my 1240p build anytime soon.

edit: so much for their “we’ve added more server hardware to handle the load”… main site is down " Our site is running a little slow at the moment" :rofl:

For the love of God someone please post a summary of what the announcement is here. Homepage points to Twitter and Twitter points to the homepage. You guys are all killing me what is the announcement from today?

2 Likes

I feel it would be a new mainboard because of the cooling solution required for the dGPU unless the dGPU operates like a desktop GPU where it has its own fan controller.

If you keep on refreshing, sometimes you can access it lol

so much.

• 13th gen intel mainboards
  • Ryzen mainboard
  • matte screen
  • higher capacity battery
  • transparent bezel
  • 16 inch framework laptop with 6 modules and user swappable graphics card thing that also could do other things. Optional numpad.
  • case to turn old mainboards into small computers
  • case to turn old batteries into powerbanks
  • the graphics module from the 16 inch laptop can also be used as an eGPU
8 Likes

It’s external and the fans for it are external too, and they mentioned that the module can be used with 13 inch models not just the 16 in. So it must have it’s own fan controller.

2 Likes

So it is a mini eGPU? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sigh I am really wondering should I get the AMD mainboard or wait for Meteor Lake.

1 Like

My brain is so overloaded right now lol…

2 Likes

Yep, that’s basically what they alluded to since it can be upgraded independently from the rest of the laptop. I’ll be waiting to upgrade the board but I’ll snap up that battery upgrade immediately.

2 Likes

We asked for a meal and they gave us a feast!
Respect Framework team, Respect…

6 Likes

Yea, I want an iGPU with AV1 encoding but AMD Linux drivers for that might be annoying.

I am gonna get the battery but I kinda wanna wait for more and ship them together. Maybe with the CM case.

That being said, maybe I should just give up and upgrade my B550 mainboard in my desktop and get an X570 PRO and plug in the Intel A380.

1 Like