Join us for the Framework Next Level Event on March 23rd

Yep, that’s basically what they alluded to since it can be upgraded independently from the rest of the laptop. I’ll be waiting to upgrade the board but I’ll snap up that battery upgrade immediately.

2 Likes

We asked for a meal and they gave us a feast!
Respect Framework team, Respect…

6 Likes

Yea, I want an iGPU with AV1 encoding but AMD Linux drivers for that might be annoying.

I am gonna get the battery but I kinda wanna wait for more and ship them together. Maybe with the CM case.

That being said, maybe I should just give up and upgrade my B550 mainboard in my desktop and get an X570 PRO and plug in the Intel A380.

1 Like

Shocking news, I’m still shaking. I feel really old and past it with my 11th Gen.

Feel like buying a 13 Gen, a Ryzen and two 16" just so I feel a part of what is going on. I’d cry if I could calm down but my adrenaline is still to high.

I just can’t believe what I saw, must be a dream.

OH! and no touch screen, what happened there ???

4 Likes

I checked the website and it doesn’t say which AMD Phoenix processors they are offering though

2 Likes

Okay so I waited for AMD to be announced, but now my dilemma is buy AMD mainboard for gaming or buy Steam Deck for gaming? Because I’m having issues finding out what the iGPU for the Ryzen 5 is…
and also the Ryzen comes out in Q3, so do I wait for it?
Decisions, Decisions…

WOW… a lot more new stuff then I expected!.. market place is having trouble loading lol.

4 Likes

Me having bought a 12th gen intel non-matte with small battery a few months ago:

4 Likes

The AMD mainboard is advertised to support up to 64GB RAM (which is already ginormous!), however the AMD CPUs support a theoretical maximum of 256GB!

2 Likes

This is all Framework owners right now :sob:

For 7040H and HS models, the Ryzen 5 one comes with the 760M which has the same 8 CUs as the Steam deck but on RDNA 3 though. So there might be architectural improvements there.

The Ryzen 7 comes with the 780M which is more powerful with 12 CUs.

2 Likes

Very underrated part is the DAC Expansion card! It looks very promising :smiley:
I’m looking forwards to seeing more specs on it!

As Jieren said, the iGPU is 8CU and 12CU respectively.
Far better than the Steamdeck, especially considering the CPU is also far better, and this is RDNA3, which means that there’s a better media engine.
Not to mention the AI engine.

3 Likes

Great announcement with lots to get excited about!

The Audio/Video was endearing. Stay focused on the products, and keep up the good work! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really hard decision between waiting for the AMD one with limited USB capabilities or trying out to wait for Meteor Lake iGPU (128EUs, that’s an A380).

I guess one way is to wait for the launch of Meteor Lake mainboards and decide to go AMD or Intel.

LOL to be fair I feel OK, as the performance is not too much different bewteen 12th-gen and 13th-gen.
However, regarding battery autonomy…

Same bro. Bought my 12th gen literally last month. Is ok, we will get through this together. Perhaps we should start a support group? Frameworks Anon?

1 Like

Meteor lake will probably be next Spring, while the CPU will be better, I don’t think the 33% increase in iGPU compute units will help it compete against AMD’s!

Also the Xylinx Neural Accelerator seems to be a very good edition, especially considering the direction Windows is going!

TBH USB4 has the same Specs as Thunderbolt 4, so I wouldn’t really call it limited!

1 Like

Well, the R780M is kinda around GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1060 mobile in benchmarks I think. The Steam Deck is about a GTX 1050. So it probably isn’t that powerful too. Probably the linux open source drivers for gaming would be nice but I am unsure for anything like encoding or editing though.

Meteor Lake iGPU would be comparable to A380 desktop but drivers (even though Intel promised a new XE GPU driver) =\

The AMD one only has 2x USB 4 ports, 1x USB 3.2 with Display Port, and 1x USB 3.2, it doesn’t have 4x USB 4 unlike the Intel mainboard (4x Thunderbolt)

2 Likes

If I remember it actually got close the 1650 (ti?) MaxQ Mobile!

The Intel Mainboard also only has 2 Thunderbolt controllers! They’re just split between the 2 ports!

From my experience AMD drivers on Linux generally work, but aren’t the most optimal :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Rumors say they’re planning on roughly doubling the performance. Each individual compute unit can also be better.