Laptop fails to start after BIOS update to version 3.05 (AMD)

Hello,
I’m using Kubuntu 22.10 with my AMD Ryzen 7840u. Through the KDE update center I got the suggestion to update the BIOS to version 3.05.
I started the BIOS installation and performed a restart of the laptop. After that I only got a blank/black screen. After a couple of minutes I powered off the laptop (holding the power button for 10 minutes) and started the laptop again. Again all I see is a black screen (and the white power botton LED).
I waited for another 20 minutes or so, but nothing happened.
Then I tried entering the BIOS by pressing F2 right after I restarted the laptop, but got no reactions. Also tried F12 to see if that triggers anything, still nothing.

The laptop was running fine for half a year, nevertheless I then tried just booting with a single stick of RAM (slot 0) with the same result.

Does anyone have any suggestions what else I could try before I contact support?

Thank you and best regards,
Marcel

HI and welcome.

Is it plugged in and charging and do you see any flashing lights between the expansion cards where plugged in.

Hello,
yes, the laptop was connected to the charger. At the time of the update it was charging, i.e. showing the red charging light.
In the meantime the the battery is fully charged, i.e. it shows a white light.

There were no flashing lights.

1 Like

Hello,
one correction about my initial post, it is Kubuntu 23.10 instead of 22.10.

Today I tried again to start the laptop, this time not connected to the power supply. The screen is still black. But about 1 minute after I pressed the power button I got the following LED light sequence: wggggggggggggrbgbgbggg

Info on LEDs though it is made a long time ago, for the first iteration 11th Gen intel.

I would imagine/hope the info is relevant across all boards (???)

Here’s page for 12th Gen

I’ll compare them :slight_smile:
Yeap! they are the same :white_check_mark:

Hello amoun,
thank you very much for those links! Looks like the 12 basic checks are all green :slight_smile: .
The post code should be A8, based on other discussions that I found this should correspond to SMM_ACPI_DISABLE_START. No idea what the meaning is of that. Hopefully the support can help me.

1 Like

Hello, just tried on windows 10 with the BIOS updater and experience the same issue.

After aborting the update, there is a flash on the screen saying something like “EFI error code 02” “decompress failed”

I have 100MB in my EFI partition if that makes any difference

Is that with LInux on the NVMe and Windows as extra.?
100Mb I’ve heard is not always enough to record too boot systems.

I was able to update the BIOS after making a fat32 bootable media with the bios update. Took a few tries to make the USB but it worked. So yeah, EFi Storage space issue.

Actual steps I took:

1. Download the BIOS update zip
  2. Unzip onto a fat32 formatted USB. I wish this step was an ISO image and Windows tooling made making these bootable media easier. I ended up making a fat32 bootable media in Linux and added the boot flag to the partition.
  3. boot into USB
  4. That should be it.
1 Like