Laptop Not Powering on With BIOS 3.07

Same situation, @nmiles. Battery has half a charge left so it is not a result of battery being fully drained. I am running the latest 3.07 firmware and the unit is fully powered down when it happens.

I’ve had it fail 3 consecutive times because I haven’t used the laptop for about a week (shortest time I’ve seen it happen was 6 days powered off). Each time I’ve had to reset and charge the CMOS.

Support ticket was not helpful ignoring the fact that I described resetting and charging the laptop. They just sent a canned answer with the reset mainboard guide, which I already knew about.

This is the only deal breaker I’ve had since I received my order and can’t recommend it to others until it gets fixed.

For now, I’ve had to plug the laptop every few days (not in use) to make sure when I do want to use it off AC it will turn on

hm… I just ran into this.

1. My laptop shipped already with 3.07. I didn’t flash it myself
  2. Went to use laptop after around a week of it being powered off, it didn’t power on.
  3. I plugged my laptop in, and was able to power it on. The battery is “missing” in the OS.
  4. I entered the bios, disconnected the battery in software. Rebooted. Entered the bios, connected the battery. Rebooted.

The battery is now showing up in Linux again with a 0% charge and “discharging” while plugged in. If I unplug the power cable it instantly powers off.

EDIT:

I followed the guide mentioned above which fixed the issue. Fully Resetting the Mainboard State - Framework Guides

The laptop turned back on with 15% charge.

So; tldr it seems like the laptop fully drains the CMOS battery AND drains the main battery when it enters this state. The BIOS settings get corrupted and you have to do the full bios reset to get it functional again.

really hope Framework gets this issue addressed (or moves to a fully open-source bios). It’s annoying and could damage your battery if it is left to drain to 0%. I opened a new support ticket detailing the above so Framework support can see a lot of people having the issue and prioritize it.

2 Likes

Yeah, my laptop was on charge for 3 days straight, turned it off overnight. The laptop doesn’t boot up again the next morning.

To get it powered back on, I have to disconnect the battery, plug in the power cable and spam the power button until I get the BIOS splash screen. Once I get to this, I can reconnect the battery and it works fine.

This is really infuriating as I use this for work and can’t get any work done in the morning with this.

Yeah, it’s with support atm. We will see what happens. Waited 2 months for a laptop that works sometimes…

Update.

It works flawlessly now.

I contacted support. Tried motherboard reset as before, but no luck.

They suggested removing and re-install the fingerprint sensor/power button. (Fingerprint Reader Replacement Guide - Framework Guides)

That seemed to get it working. I guess one of the ribbon cables wasn’t connected properly.

3 Likes

Quick Update:

I left my laptop on the charger for 48hrs after my latest post to ensure the CMOS battery gets charged up. I have not experienced any boot issues so far.

Will update this thread if the issue re-occurs.

2 Likes

I tried what framework support suggested to Mith (reconnecting the ribbon cable) and did a full CMOS recharge a week ago.

It booted today off AC with the BIOS settings retained. Clock had advanced as expected. So I am cautiously optimistic and will keep an eye on it

Recommend trying the cable if it happens to anyone else.

1 Like

Same problem. Laptop wouldn’t turn on after not using it for a few days. I figured the battery must be dead, plugged it in and it powered right up. Windows showed the battery percentage at 70% plus.

Did it again a few days later.

I’m now on 21 hours of letting it charge for 48 hours straight. Hopefully that works. I’ll probably open a support ticket if I’m still having issues after letting it charge for 2 days straight.

I had same thing, leaving it on does not work, I had to go in and remove cmos battery for a couple of minnutes to fix. No need to disconnect main battery.

1 Like

I’ve definitely been seeing a similar issue for a while, though I didn’t find this thread until now. For about a month, I’ve only been using my laptop once a week, and it’s had issues turning on every time despite having a charge on the laptop battery.
One thing I’ve noticed on my laptop, is that the RTC battery will charge about 0.02V every 12 hours on charge, and though it’s rated for 3V, it’s charging voltage is only about 2.86V. I’m no electrical engineer, and I don’t know how the charge circuit is designed for the RTC battery, but this seems low to me.
Is anyone that was seeing this issue before showing similar voltages for their RTC batteries?

1 Like

I contacted framework’s support team and this is their reply:

We recommend that you fully charge your laptop at least once every week, and to trickle charge at least every 2 weeks. The RTC battery charges continuously while the laptop is turned on - so it’s vital that the laptop is always charged(not going on low battery/drained)

If this issue is happening to everyone, I consider it as a major design flaw. And framework has to fix it.

I have a 10-year old Thinkpad laptop that can be turned on without connecting to power after several months.

3 Likes

Exactly. I’ve had many laptops that weren’t used for weeks/months at a time and they had no problem booting up as long as the main battery wasn’t completely dead. I’ve ditched the framework to populate out in my tech junk drawer for now. My primary laptop needs to be reliable for when I’m out and about without the ability to plug it in quickly.

2 Likes

This implies that the RTC battery only charges when the laptop is turned on. I would like to hear back from someone on whether this is the case, or if it does also charge with the laptop off, and plugged into the charger. As an update, I haven’t heard back from the support team since the initial response where they told me the RTC battery was likely at fault, and asked me for an update, which I did provide the next day.

2 Likes

I would agree with that. I’ve been using my laptop more lately, so it hasn’t happened to me since following the mainboard reset procedure and leaving it on the charger for 48 hrs. However, it’s still going to be a concern I have going forward since I don’t use it everyday. I’m now carrying around the screwdriver that came in the box in case It happens while on the go. I hope Framework acknowledges the issue soon.

1 Like

Chalk me up as another one having this issue. Framework support suggested an RTC Battery pull/mainboard reset and 24h of charge but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. Not high expectations of it correcting the issue, though. So far I’ve only been using my FW at home but the first time I’m out and about and can’t boot I’m going to be ripping annoyed.

2 Likes

Just wanted to update anyone watching this thread that I have not heard from support at all this past week since I sent them my first update. I haven’t been emailing them for updates, as I have heard that bumps the issue back in their priority, so I guess I’ll wait. It’s a little surprising though since they responded a few minutes after I sent in my original support request at 1AM on Easter.

2 Likes

@John_Comeaux I am sorry to hear that you are having a poor experience with our support. We would love to make this experience better for you. Could you please DM me the email used for your ticket so I can take a look?

Our response time currently is around 1-2 business days unless it is an RMA as that may take a few additional business days :slight_smile:

Update: I have found your ticket through your name. I see we had emailed you on the 16th and we had not heard back from you. Could you please try resending your response?

2 Likes

Hi,
I’ve just had a strange experience with my batch 9/10 laptop. After leaving unpowered for a few days the laptop would not power on. charging would not work also. After doing a mainboard reset it powered on fine. However, the battery was at 13 percent. BIOS v3.07. I’m a little concerned this may become a regular occurance. I can’t understand why this would happen with so much battery life left.
Having just read this thread it seems like a fairly common problem. I certainly don’t want to have to charge frequently just to be able to use a device. If a laptop runs out of “juice”, you should be able to plug it in and use it again, anything else is a design flaw and simply not practical.
It seems as though a rechargable button cell is a weak point if it’s going to discharge so quickly.

2 Likes

For anyone that may have been watching this thread. I have not heard back from FrameWork’s support team, or @FrameworkBee as I also DM’d them having still not heard back from support. Feels like support is slacking pretty hard, not even trying to help figure out why they aren’t getting my emails.

1 Like

Have you tried using a different email address while the issues with the other provider (protonmail?) are being sorted out?