Laptop powered off, battery empty after 3 days

Hello everyone, the last weekend I was away and - for the first time after receiving my laptop - I didn’t use it for few days. Before leaving I powered it off (I’m using debian) and this morning when I tried to power it on it was not responding.

I plugged the usb-c cable to the monitor I usually use while at home and the charging led turned orange. I waited a minute or so and then I pushed the power button, the led lit immediately but the startup of the laptop (as in displaying the framework logo, so possibly the POST?) was slower than usual.

The OS detected the battery at 0%, so from the look of it the battery emptied itself over a weekend while powered off (I keep the maximum charge at 80% from the BIOS), this is a higher battery drain than the s0 suspension, so I guess there must be something very wrong somewhere.

This is the output of journalctl -b -1, so from the OS point of view the shutdown state was properly reached:

feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: lvm2-monitor.service: Deactivated successfully.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Stopped lvm2-monitor.service - Monitoring of LVM2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Reached target shutdown.target - System Shutdown.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Reached target final.target - Late Shutdown Services.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: systemd-poweroff.service: Deactivated successfully.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Finished systemd-poweroff.service - System Power Off.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Reached target poweroff.target - System Power Off.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd[1]: Shutting down.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd-shutdown[1]: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd-journald[749]: Received SIGTERM from PID 1 (systemd-shutdow).
feb 23 06:05:18 ferox systemd-journald[749]: Journal stopped

Edit: information about the laptop model and connected expansion ports (no hardware was attached to the ports when powering off)

I’m using: a single usb-c expansion port (up left also towards the screen) and one usb-A in (lower-right also towards me).

The CPU is an AMD 7840u.

What expansion cards are you using? What generation / CPU (AMD or Intel) is your 13?

Apologies for not providing all the necessary information (I will also edit the first post).

I’m using: a single usb-c expansion port (up left also towards the screen) and one usb-A in (lower-right also towards me).

The CPU is an AMD 7840u.

I can confirm this ! I had the same behavior on FW13 AMD 7840U with Fedora 39 all updated.
All USB C, but only the front left one is USB A. The laptop was not connected to anything.

Ahh ok, I’m not familiar with the AMD platform as that is an entirely different chipset, etc.

I would suggest speaking with Framework customer support. The USB re-timers and all are very tricky things and the mainboards are immensely complicated things. My guess, for what it is worth, is that a USB port is staying hot (current being sent to it) despite being off. You can test this by turning it off and plugging in a USB mouse. If it lights up, there is a vampiric loss as a result of a USB port.

Hard to say if this is Framework or Linux’s issue. I have not seen any reports of this on Windows 11 with the AMD platform.

I opened a support ticket.
FYI last night I kept the laptop powered off for 11 hours without external adapters and it lost 5% of battery. This does not seem normal to me.

Similar issue here on AMD 7840U. Is the latest BIOS version for AMDs still 3.03?

there’s a beta-BIOS, see Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.03b BETA

This doesn’t change anything from 3.03 other than PD negotiation.