Laptop shuts down during sleep

This whole expansion card thing (if it’s the cause) is really starting to seem like more trouble than it’s worth…for 2 generations now.

I’m on USB-C cards only, plus external hub / docks / dongles. Might as well just call this a laptop with 4 x USB-C ports.

2 Likes

Just as an update, the expansion cards seem to be the issue for me as well. I’ve had crashes with just a USB-C or just a HDMI card inserted, no problems with the other cards (both USB-A). At least the problem seems to be known and relatively fixable (hopefully just a matter of bad cards?).

Strangely my issues are completely resolved for a full week now, but I am essentially back where I started in terms of configuration:

1. Updated drivers/software/etc as directed by support (issue not resolved, happening daily)
  2. Initial configuration didn’t have DP card installed, but support asked me to install it and update it’s firmware so I did that (but didn’t leave overnight separately to test just this)/
  3. Removed all expansion cards and left on battery (issue resolved)
  4. Kept expansion cards removed and re-added AC power directly to internal connector (still resolved)
  5. Added back USB-C cards (still resolved)
  6. Added back USB-A card (still resolved)
  7. Added back micro-SD card (still resolved)

So, I’m back where I started configuration-wise (but have updated the not installed display port expansion card firmware). Issue seems resolved. I’m not sure why removing all of the cards for some amount of time could’ve helped since there have clearly been full power cycles in the interim, but maybe there was some minor mechanical issue with how the cards were installed? They were difficult to remove this first time (easy now) but everything seems fine for more than a week now!

1 Like

I have the issue on my Framework as well as my Asus laptop, definitely seems to be a Windows 11 quirk

Not a quirk it’s a setting. Preset to shut down after a specified period, which is a user configurable time.

Setting: Sleep after 10 min
Setting: Hibernate after 45 min

So no matter how sleep is invoked it should switch to hibernate.

It’s a safety feature so as not to completely discharge the battery

What we are talking about here is not that feature.
The laptop shuts down completely (it does not hibernate), losing all unsaved files. And it happens when the battery is nowhere near empty.

5 Likes

There is a log of the events available via the Command Prompt in admin mode. It can take a few seconds to retrieve and write the data to an html file.

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /sleepstudy
Sleep Study report saved to file path C:\Windows\System32\sleepstudy-report.html.

And that report says nothing useful in this case except stating unexpected shutdown. This issue is indistinguishable from a complete unexpected power removal.

As I wrote above, mine seems to have somehow resolved itself now. Going from once/day (each night I left my laptop) to not happening in almost 2 weeks.

The sleepstudy report will now show when it hibernates if I’m on battery power - that behavior preserves apps, and is different from the issue.

1 Like

I have not made any changes yet and my laptop still has the issue.
@lessthanjoey Which driver and software updates did you do in the beginning?

Those updates didn’t solve the issue (ie., I still had the issue after applying the updates that were recommended) but it was the intel driver support assistant (plus anything in windows update, none pending on my side).

Download the Intel Driver Support Assistant and have it update any outdated drivers? You can do so via this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

@amoun What I meant is that sometimes both of my laptops turn off and close all my apps. I know it’s a Windows 11 thing because it never happened with my ASUS laptop on Windows 10

1 Like

Windows has zero record of anything happening anywhere related to it until you turn it back on.

Same here. Maybe windows gets info that battery is 0? This is what I am gettin gevery time of abnormal shutdown:

2 Likes

Windows doesn’t shut down, it loses power abruptly (which is why it has no info in the power log). This also happens on AC power.

Having said that, it hasn’t happened to me in almost a month now! That sequence I detailed above seems to have (somehow, bizarrely) resolved it!

Ugh, this is happening for me now. Same as above, it appears to lose power right as I’m opening the lid.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          11/4/2022 9:15:15 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      framework
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>9</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2022-11-05T04:15:15.6023783Z" />
    <EventRecordID>92800</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>framework</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">true</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">7</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2">7</Data>
    <Data Name="LongPowerButtonPressDetected">false</Data>
    <Data Name="LidReliability">false</Data>
    <Data Name="InputSuppressionState">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonSuppressionState">0</Data>
    <Data Name="LidState">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Latest one as a few minutes ago. I ordered two other USB-C cards hoping that prevents this and gives me some added battery. I’m on 2x USB-C, 1x USB-A, and 1x HDMI right now.

Hi,

Here also random shutdowns when in sleep mode, see below:

I have a 12-th gen 1260P now for 11 days with 9 unexpected shutdowns on Win 11.

Today it passed 24 hours without shutting down, but I also noticed it was instantly available, so no hybernate, but a continued sleep mode.
Yesterday I did upgrade the graphic card driver using the update tool from intel, and today I found a download for the Samsung Magician software (firmware updated for my 980 1 TB).
If expansion cards are an issue, I don’t know (2 USB-C, 1 classic USB and 1 HDMI). Memory has been checked by windows, no errors found.

1 Like

May I suggest people experiencing this with their 12th gen Windows 11 laptop to contact Framework Support? Maybe it’s something Windows / configuration / software related that they know about.

Hoping to place an order for the 12th gen before x’mas…and would like to see this ironed out.

@Chris_Padfield, has any of the 20 units at your office experienced this issue? (Assuming the end-users would report crashes / unexpected shutdown, or that you have some centralized critical event monitoring solution in place)

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I’ll reach out and see what they have to say.

For the record, I also made a support request. They do read here, and I expect via either channel to see a solution.

1 Like

Please keep us posted on the outcome / solution.

2 Likes