Laptop shuts down during sleep

So far just checking in and doing the basic initial touches. Made sure I was on latest driver package and Windows patch version. I think I might’ve been a driver version behind because after running the installer the Intel updater found a graphics driver update. However, just experience another power loss afterit was in sleep for maybe three-ish hours off charger.

@William_Cook Out of curiosity, what modules did you have plugged in when you experienced the latest power failure?

@TheMadCodger 1x USB-A, 2x USB-C, and 1x HDMI. I have two more USB-C modules on order because I have a feeling that might be related. Windows specifically sees the HDMI card as an external device that I can eject and manage like a flash drive.

@William_Cook Interesting, thanks. When mine started I had USB-C x2, USB-A, & DP. My DP was also being recognized as an external by Windows. I’ve also updated everything including the hard drive and Intel drivers, and I haven’t had any problems for a couple of days with only the two USB-C modules (with or without power). I just plugged the A back in, which shouldn’t have an effect, but we’ll see.

I was asked to test the laptop without power connected, and to my surprise, it did hibernate cleanly, with all expansion cards installed.

Off coarse this is no hard proof, it is a first sign of a relation with power connected and the unexpected shutdown.

I think it’s a good idea to test this too!
So try leaving the laptop without power connected and see if it then will hibernate forcing you to power on the device in order to resume working and showing you where you left off.

Please share you results!

Did FW Support then suggest how to get the laptop to hibernate successfully even when power is connected?

You’re too fast! This may be the beginning of a diagnose, if it gets confirmed on more devices. Then they may be able to narrow the search for the failing component and that can be fixed with a driver update for instance. This may take some time, before it is regression tested. But all begins with a diagnose and this may be on the way.

You mean Framework didn’t even test hibernation as a product function…and they have to come up with a fix?

One would expect that’s not much to fix if it’s been tested to hibernate successfully as a product, and that any hibernation issue is a per unit / per installation issue. No?

It would be great if the cause is confirmed by more users, the search is narrowed to one probable cause.
After that Framework can start working on a solution.

So start working on batterie, that’s what helps!

I’ve noticed this as well. I’ve had my Framework 12th Gen, 1260p sitting on a desk for the last week and I notice that when I go up to it after it’s slept, that it takes longer to start up and my browser seems to have quit and wants to reopen the tabs I had open.

@Darrel_Hunt It sounds like you’re having the same problem as the rest of us. Which modules do you have plugged in to your computer when this happens?

@TheMadCodger

For Expansion Cards, I’ve got
USB-C in the back right
Micro SD in the front right
DisplayPort (w/Beta Firmware) in the back left
USB-A in the front left

It’s been plugged into the offical Framework charger the whole time

@Darrel_Hunt Another one with display port. Assuming everything is up-to-date (including Intel drivers), try unplugging the display port module and leaving that one open. See if you continue having the same problem.

@TheMadCodger I’ve had the issue with one USB-C, two USB-A and a storage expansion card. So I don’t think the DP Module is to blame.

2 Likes

Following this topic with interest. I have had the same problem intermittently, working mostly on battery. My FW was 2xUSB-A, 1xUSB-C, 1xHDMI and the problem has happened less - but still occasionally - with 2xUSB-C, 1xUSB-A and 256gb expansion.

I tried the leaving modules out/updating drivers solution proposed earlier and it hasn’t happened since, but likely too early to tell.

Support had me update the time to turn off the hard disk after sleep to 26 hours. It was previously set to never but I wonder if there’s a big with the never option.

@TheMadCodger @William_Cook

Everything is up to date.

I was wondering about the HDD, I’ve seen a couple of disk errors in Event Viewer since I’ve noticed this issue. I’ve got the WD SN850 1Tb, and it’s got the firmware that was to fix the bsod issue we saw a while back. I wonder what HDD others are running.

Edit: Checked to see if there was a firmware update for the WD, nothing new.

Oh good reminder. I’m on a Samsung 980 so I’ll grab the latest there too. So far no issues with the hard drive sleep change though I haven’t much chance to use it today.

Just chiming in - I’m also experiencing this. I have 2xUSB-A, 1xUSB-C, 1xHDMI expansion cards.

Nothing specific in the event log at the time of the shutdown - just “The previous system shutdown at 17:07:15 on ‎07/‎11/‎2022 was unexpected.” when it boots up again. It happens once every 1-4 days, for me.

1 Like

@Hamish_Milne It seems to be a problem that happens with either HDMI or DP modules inserted.