Linux deep sleep

Hi, does the framework laptop support deep sleep on linux? Specifically, would someone at framework be willing to run cat /sys/power/mem_sleep on a framework laptop running linux?

Ideally, the output will be s2idle [deep], indicating that deep sleep is available and enabled. On a Dell XPS 9310, which uses the same intel 11th gen CPU platform, I get [s2idle], which indicates that only the battery-draining idle mode is available.

For those interested running linux on a framework laptop, it will be important that leaving the laptop unplugged overnight won’t result in an empty battery in the morning.

Thank you!

8 Likes

Whether it does or not, there is still hibernation. I know it is a pain to get working under Linux, but it does. (Ubuntu 20.04 on my laptop hibernates all the time. (encrypted))

I still don’t understand why Linux distros arbitrarily dropped hibernation support from the default configurations. Probably because Luks is a freaking mess, but I digress.

+1 definitely would like to know the status of s2 deep sleep.

1 Like

I concur, 2disbetter. I have switched from Fedora to Gentoo to compile a custom initramfs just to get hibernate working with LUKS.

On Ubuntu 20.04 running 5.11
$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle] deep
Tigerlake does not support S3 sleep.
However Anecdotally battery drain is around 40% over about a 20 hour period in S0ix when I run Ubuntu. Not great but not the end of the world if you plug in once a day.
Windows deals with this by hibernating as part of modern standby.

1 Like

That’s about 2% per hour (1.1W), which is unfortunate to say the least (assuming that drain is linear…, 0.02/h * 55Wh = 1.1W).

However, digging into this a little, it looks highly dependent on configuration, bios, kernel, firmware, etc.

The X1 Nano (also Tigerlake but with an even smaller battery) has a thread on this (X1 Nano deep suspend-English Community). OP, is seeing 5% (2.4W) power drain, staff sees 0.8% (0.4W) power drain (the nano has a 48Wh battery).

There’s also a relevant article on Phoronix (Dell Getting Linux Power Management Optimized For Their Latest Systems + Upcoming Tiger Lake Desktop - Phoronix).

So, pulling random ideas out of a hat because I’m way out of my depth here… explicitly powering down USB/networking devices (possibly powering down the SSD?) before suspending may help? At the very least, it looks like there may be room for improvement in software.