Linux Mint 21 Beta on the Framework Laptop

Linux Mint 21 Beta was recently released (Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Xfce – BETA Release – The Linux Mint Blog). I did a quick test of it on a Framework Laptop with 12th Gen Intel Core, and it works smoothly.

I published a Guide for it here: Mint 21 Beta Installation on the Framework Laptop - Framework Guides

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’ve been experimenting with it in a VM on my desktop. Smooth and polished as usual - even more so. And now you don’t have to mess with kernels, it comes with 5.15.

I do have to say that I find it a bit interesting that Rufus seems to be the preferred manner by Framework employees for booting LInux ISOs which I always found to be a bit odd since

1. it’s a Windows-only application

2. Even since discovering Ventoy through a Louis Rossmann video I felt it pretty much superseded the entire concept of writing single ISO files to a USB drive (not to mention it’s a cross-platform solution)

2 Likes

Mint 21 is now out of Beta.

3 Likes

Running Mint 21 Cinnamon, smooth.

Some tweaks seem necessary, e.g. screen brightness keys aren’t working ootb.

Like in Windows 10, processor consumption of 1 of 16 cores is at 100% and CPU temperature rises u to 100°C when opening a 100MB text file (paintstorm studio start script).

2 Likes

:flushed:

Whoa. Files this size are probably not intended to be opened by a text editor in any OS. I could see how that would cripple many otherwise well-equipped systems.

Would it work better in a CLI editor like nano? Or vi, if you’re familiar with that?