LTT Secret Shopping Framework Discussion Thread

The link to the Floatplane site keeps asking for login. Maybe cut and paste some text for context.

2 Likes

That’s because Floatplane is a subscription-based website. The video is gonna come out soon on YouTube, Floatplane just got early access.

Never had support experience with Framework, so would be very interesting to see how it went. Waiting for a YouTube release as I’m not a Floatplane subscriber.

I’m not going to pay to watch this. So maybe you should wait until it is available to the public.

And when is that?

Depending on the timing of the filming…I feel that it might be a passive damage control response to this other thread:

LOL! I remember that thread. I disagree with the OP. But I can see where some people might jump to these conclusions if they received a bad unit as a first purchase from a company.

I have a FW16 already and should receive a FW13 Intel Ultra at the end of the week. I’ve also ordered several extras and not had any trouble with the FW16 or received parts up to this point. We’ll see if the FW13 is also a clean unit once I get it up and running.

2 Likes

@pkunk @Gmanny @jared_kidd @mike.smith the video is now out on YouTube.

2 Likes

We’re digging into the feedback and will post an update with changes we’ll be making to streamline the support experience. We’re glad that the 2nd LTT secret shopper’s numpad issue was resolved, and we agree it shouldn’t have taken as much time as it did.

Edit: I mixed up two bits of feedback. The LTT team had a relatively smooth and quick support experience. The callout on the support experience taking too many back and forths was in relation to a customer from late last years. We’ve made a number of process improvements since then (as seen by the streamlined experience that LTT had), and we’re always looking to improve further.

13 Likes

For what it’s worth, I had only good experiences with support, and always got the exact help or answers that I needed or wanted or didn’t want to hear (in a good way).

1 Like

Good to see nrp responding…but hate seeing that it takes an LTT video to kick start those needed corrective actions. (Like, we on the forum knew there’s been ongoing gaps for awhile now, and not isolated)

Edit: Think the experience and feedback from the LTT video can be summarized into the following areas:

1. QR code / link accuracy.
  2. Guides’ details (the why: input cover cable) and addendum (comments): Screw crunch and feedback.
  3. B2C / Consumer support.
  4. B2B / Enterprise support
  5. Shipping and return shipping (timely, good).
2 Likes

Yup, same feeling that lets you wonder how long it would have taken Framework to come up with the Keyboard deflection kit if it wouldn’t have been the central thing in an LTT review.

Actual props to Linus for letting his team do those vids, but the reactionary nature of Framework doesn’t really fill me with confidence in the company improving in the future. When companies get bigger, support typically gets worse, not better, and also IMO the quality of support reflects the culture and values of the company, of its higher ranking people, and symptomatic fixes here and there might not be very effective long-term.

Tbh from my experience, Framework’s support really could do with improvement, especially with communication regarding issues.

I got the Ryzen laptop quite a few months ago, it was plagued with frequent random BSODs (later caused by some faulty bios and a trackpad issue). They’re resolved now but it was frustrating even trying to get someone from Framework to look at the thread or just communicate with users. I get it wasn’t an easy problem to diagnose because it was a very non-specific error code and it was so randomly triggered to stand out at anything usually so obvious. It was just the lack of communication that really rankled us I guess. I also get that Framework is still a new company and it takes time to build as well.

I love the concept and repairability, but it was frustrating. The laptop now the BIOS updated and resolved the issue is now generally fine (though I do have a case of keyboard chatter on occasion.

Oh and the fingerprint scanner can be better because it sometimes doesn’t register my fingers correctly all that well when my phone has no issue with it. Anything positive coming out of this I’ll be onboard. I want Framework to succeed on those principles where other shitty companies and products fail, but it did really feel let a let down going through that experience.

1 Like

This reason will eventually start to get old at some point, if not already.

Agree.

3 Likes

As someone that’s had a problematic encounter with support in the past, I am glad to see some potential improvement going on in the support department.

1 Like

I was one of the Framework 16 uneven thermals gang and my experience with customer support was what I would call exceedingly thorough with what they wanted me to test, photograph, screenshot, and film. I get that replacing a motherboard is probably on the expensive side of an RMA but between the number of people experiencing the issue and me not looking for a refund or free upgrade I think it could have been a bit less involved/intensive. I am satisfied with the resolution to the experience, but it could have been a bit more smooth.

Based on LTT’s video it sounds like that damned RAM shuffle suggestion is still there, but the process seems to be getting better.

Customer Service is something that is never perfect. It is an infinitely deep rabbit hole that can easily outstrip earnings. That NRP responds at all is excellent. I would honestly prefer that Framework focuses primarily on making their products, improving them, and making new ones.

All of my experience with customer service have been great.

Thanks NRP for being here and for continuing to improve on the awesome that Framework has already accomplished.

1 Like

On the RMA replacement side of things, they should (in my opinion) take the following steps:

1. Streamline the data collection process to the bare minimum to establish that the hardware is malfunctioning. Some of this could be automated through a support case creation portal.
  2. Cross ship RMA replacements via Next Day Air or similar express parcel delivery service. Framework can add a “we’ll charge you if you don’t return the defective part or the defective part was actually a customer damage case” clause to the cross ship agreement to cut down on RMA fraud.
  3. Work with other companies and contractors to offer on site repair service options and extended warranty+support contracts at an additional fee. This would better cover the enterprise and institutional customer use cases.

I have already suggested this to FW, but they could improve their BIOS to help streamline their support engineers time.
For example, if the boot up flashing LED pattern was modified to identify which RAM chip was the problem, instead of any users needed to do a RAM shuffle, it would save everyone a lot of time.
E.g. one light for each of the following cases (instead of a current single flash for all 4.

1. Slot 1 chip detected / slot empty.
  2. Slot 2 chip detected / slot empty.
  3. Slot 1 chip OK/Not Ok
  4. Slot 2 chip OK/Not OK.
    Similarly for each M2 slot.

There are other improvements. e.g. If there is an external monitor attached, default to the BIOS screens being on the external monitor. This would make fault finding related to the laptop’s own display easier.

Agree.

For example: That captive screw catching the lid (not the bezel) is a design oversight IMO. If the edge of the lid in that area is ever so slightly curved, rather than the right angle…then it wouldn’t have caught so hard.

…but I would also say that Framework being a laptop company, it’s not just the hardware, it’s the UX, before, during and after sale. The competition is tough when you look beyond just the hardware itself.