M.2 2230 SSD Recommendations for the Framework 16

the seagate firecuda is also a TLC single sided 2230 m.2 drive

Was on Sale sadly no Framework to put it in…

1 Like

Also the same ranking for reliability and lifespan.

Given SLC and MLC are non-existant any more outside the enterprise space, TLC > QLC.

If you want to find some way of connecting up a slow old Intel X25-M to a FW16 cause it’s MLC then knock yourself out. :laughing:

samsung uses MLC on their 990 Pro drives up to 2TB

Are they 2230 length drives (Note the subject title)? I thought the 990 pro are 2280.

3-bit MLC is still TLC. :laughing:

2 Likes

Anyone thinking about using the Sabrent Rocket Q4 2230 2TB?

1 Like

I took the 1TB version, because it is more robust TLC. 2TB version uses QLC.

1 Like

If you are using it for your OS drive, that’s a good idea. I was just going to use it for file storage and my game library.

I use the 2280 as Game library. Faster accesses, games like it :wink:

1 Like

That was my thinking too, a smaller, 1TB, 2230 to boot from and have apps etc, then a bigger, 2 or 4TB, 2280 for storage.

I may do that as well. Move the boot dive to the second (2230 size) slot and add a big 2280 drive for storage. I think you can just set things in the BIOS to boot from the 2nd drive.

Reason I chose the Sabrent 1TB drive is:

1. Very low power consumption in idle mode
  2. Non QLC chipset usage (vs. 2TB drive has it).

Reason I chose the Solidigm 2TB Drive:

1. Extremely fast drive
  2. Very low power consumption in idle mode
  3. No 4TB drive available :}

This is to make sure on battery can last most.
Also, heat-production will be lowest because less power == less heat dissipation.

1 Like

It is so sad that the big brands don’t really care about Linux, so firmware updates need to be usually done in Windows. That’s my main consideration (though I am planning to run Windows in VM, so it should be still possible to upgrade as needed).

While I was thinking about Sabrent as it seems to be the best right now, I’ll probably stick to WD_BLACK SN770M. After all, FW declared they are supporting only WD_BLACK drives - and while WD also ignores Linux needs, I bet on bigger community support as most FW orders will have them.

If you are looking for some Presidents Day deal in US, I see none, but Honey+Paypal pays up to $20 back, when you purchase it in the official WD store.

2 Likes

Actually, manufacturers provide you a bootable ISO to boot into and flash the drive.
What most don’t know is that it is a linux system that runs below.
Have recently updated the BIOS of my SSD Drives on my server - live - using the following instructions: Firmware update Samsung SSD in Linux - Intermittent Technology - Just make sure, when you do these kind of manipulations, to reboot the machine into single-user mode, and then only run the patches.
Who would boot a Windows on a linux Server to update the BIOS ??? Really…

2 Likes

I wish that they do offer same features to Framework 13. the size of 22x30.

When I was watching Level1Techs Wendell really seemed to like his Solidigm 2230 nvme. I had never heard of Solidigm and decided to dig a little into them. Turns out Intel sold their old NVME SSD division to SK Hynix. This really intrigued me because the SK Hynix P31 and P41 are EXTREMELY energy efficient and reliable SSDs and they were what I was planning on buying (I already use a P31 in a mobile gaming handheld). Turns out the Solidigm SSDs are just as energy efficient and reliable as SK Hynix P31Gold/P41 Platinum SSDs, but actually have slighty enhanced performance!

I went an bought a Solidigm P41 Plus 1TB 2230, and a Solidigm P44 Pro 2280 for my preordered FW16.

2 Likes

Yep.

The P44 Pro is based on the SK Hynix P41 Platinum and the P41 Plus is based on the Intel 670p (although the P41 Plus supports PCIe 4.0).

In the highest and lowest power states both drives are wildly efficient. In a medium power state the SK Hynix P31 Gold is still king, although with modern power management and race to sleep behaviors the medium power states don’t matter a ton (race to sleep is the behavior where hardware ramps up to the highest power state for any task so that it can finish the task quicker and drop to the lowest power state sooner).

I’ve got a P44 Pro as my main 2280 in my FW16 and it works great. I had planned on getting a P41 Plus 2230 but snapped up an Inland TN446 on sale as my secondary.

1 Like

3-bit MLC = TLC

1 Like