Matte screen protector

I’m waiting for orders to open in Europe to order one. Any chance it will have a matte option at time of order, even if it’s only a pre-installed laminate like the ones above? I’ve tried before at another laptop and I suck at installing those things myself.

2 Likes

I just finally got around to installing the Via Screens Matte protector on my Framework (and a Paper model on my iPad). I received two of each in the order, despite thinking I would only receive one of each. This was nice, in case there’s an installation issue.

The Framework protector is exactly sized to fit the shiny portion of the display, which, I didn’t measure, but seems to fit under the bezel when reinstalled.

I didn’t encounter any problems with the install - amazingly, since every other time I’ve installed a screen protector I’ll have every dust particle in the room be instantly drawn to the activity. In fact, I put off the installation so long (a week and a half after receiving it) because I wasn’t mentally ready to deal with what I assumed would be ultimately frustrating and possibly money-wasting. But also, after the install, the bezel fits back just fine, no strange display distortion or anything.

In all, I think the matte-ness of the protector is just right. I still have a bit of glare but there’s significantly less “shine” and the colors are nearly unaffected. While I would prefer a matte screen from the factory, I would definitely get this again.

On a side note, the paper protector for the iPad looks great, too.

11 Likes

@N.P Did you get the Via Matte, or Matte Lite? Trying to decide which to get. Leaning toward the Matte.

2 Likes

I got the Matte (SKU N2270639).

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks. I’ll probably go with that one.

1 Like

To put it in perspective, the Matte looks pretty similar to the MXH sample that A_L posted before. If I had to guess, it’s probably about 30% glare reduction. It’s not as matte as the 50%, but slightly more than the 25%.

2 Likes

Oh, I might get one of their privacy screen protectors. Has anybody used one of those?

1 Like

@yessikg I’m curious about that too. It would be nice if they were easily swapped out. I’d love to have a matte one for general use, but be able to put a privacy filter on for travel.

3 Likes

Brief update. I ended up ordering the Via Matte protector. Overall, very happy with the results so far. Installation was about what you’d expect, though I was a little annoyed that the adhesive dust remover left a residue on the screen that I had to clean off, and the included microfiber cleaning cloth was small, and not that impressive. Nevertheless, got it on with no bubbles, and it looks great. It’s just a hair smaller than the bezel opening, so just about perfect in that respect.

9 Likes

Can someone post the photos with a Via matte protector, please? I really would like to see it. Thank you.

2 Likes

I purchased a 17" matte screen protector and just cut it down to the appropriate size. It sit’s behind the bezel with no problems.

6 Likes

Which protector did you buy? I might try going this same route

2 Likes

I’d love to see privacy screen please.

4 Likes

I had an example of the need for matte screens this morning.
On the left, Frame.work, the right, an HP Elitebook from my employer.
Sun coming in the window. The Frame.work computer was like a mirror reflecting my torso and barely readable. The HP was usable. It still showed a reflection, but much more muted.

Have to consider getting one of those matte screens.

3 Likes

I thought this might be of interest. I ordered the matte screen protector from Via. The one I received was slightly too wide to fit inside the bezel and would not lay flat so I wrote to Via and and requested a replacement. They replied yesterday saying they have updated the design of the Framework protector and the changes were approved by Framework. No details beyond that and I’m awaiting delivery of a new one.

1 Like

Jonathan, try removing the bezel before applying the screen protector. My guess is the move was made after testing indicated that having the screen protector beneath the bezel poses no risk to the display panel.

1 Like

@Enjewneer Amazon.com

2 Likes

I saw this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/celicious-Anti-Glare-Protector-Compatible-Framework/dp/B09DR4W9ZQ/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=matte+screen+protector+framework&qid=1633471592&sr=8-3

4 Likes

it’s a good sign that major retailers like Amazon are starting to see products marketed specifically towards Framework!

5 Likes

Any update on the official listing? I was thinking of just using these dimensions to order a custom sized MXT from Photodon.

1 Like