Memory compatibility FW 13 AMD Ryzen™ 7040U series DDR5-SODIMM-5600MT/s

I’m here to also confirm that the Crucial 5600MT/s RAM kit CT2K16G56C46S5 runs flawlessly in my Framework 13 7840U with the most recent 3.03 BIOS.

1 Like

New Batch 5 Framework 13 AMD with Kingston Fury KF556S40IBK2-64 DDR5 5600MT/s CL40-40-40 on Linux 22.04.3 OEM working fine!

Thanks to all the contributors in this thread, it was a great resource.

3 Likes

I can confirm the kingston Fury impact 5600 cl40 (KF556S40IBK2, double sided, dual rank) work just fine, I can also confirm that the crucial 4800 CL40 (CT16G48C40S5 single sided single rank) works fine too (I got that stick really cheap and was curious if frequency had as big an impact as on the ddr4 intel boards) as do combinations of the two.

I did some idle power tests using combinations of the 2, the tests were done with display at min brightness, keyboard backlight, camera, microphone, wifi and bluetooth off and as little as possible running in the background (basically just 2 terminal windows) taking the powerstat readings after it had settled. I have not done much other power tuning, I just got the thing so those values are mostly interesting relative to each other and not in an absolute sense.

• Single 4800 (Crucial 4800 16GB) → 2.79W
  • Dual 4800 (Crucial 4800 16GB + Kingston 5600 32GB) → 3.07
  • Single 5600 (Kingston 5600 32GB) → 2.83
  • Dual 5600 (Kingston 5600 32GB x2) → 3.05W

Interestingly kind of the opposite behavior of the intel, frequency seems to matter quite little (like margin of error little) while channels do a bit. Halving your memory bandwidth to save an extra 0.2W is probably only for the most extreme hyper-milers among us XD.

5 Likes

I am still very curious about what is being sold in the Framework Marketplace as DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs
They only say: "modules are custom-label Framework-branded ones and are tested and validated for compatibility
"

The problem is that there is not much more info than that. On that support page for memory they validate them as “FRANRM0002” which does not help much as to “who makes those?

Am I the only one here who thinks this is a bit shady?

They ought to specify:

• who actually is the manufacturer of these memory modules? (namely framework’s “memory partner”)
  • all the technicals, like 1Rx or 2Rx, CL, timings, etc, etc

Kingston actually give all the specs:
Kingston FURY KF556S40IB-16 is a 2G x 64-bit (16GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) 1Rx8, memory module, based on eight 2G x 8-bit FBGA components per module. Each module has been tested to run at DDR5-5600 at a low latency timing of 40-40-40 at 1.1V.

That is the bare minimum Framework ought to do as well (I think).

1 Like

From Framework’s Deep Dive - Memory and Storage:

Agreed. All that should be listed.

2 Likes

I agree, this is something, that made me order my FL16 DIY without RAM.
Nowadays there are sources you can get at least some info from: the reviewers.

According to Framework Laptop 13.5 Ryzen 7 7840U review: So much better than the Intel version - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

…the ram timings are: ADATA DDR5-5600, 46-45-45-90

1 Like

Here’s desktop memory using the same SKhynix ICs as FW image of 16GB soDIMM. The specs should be similar. However, FW said they may use different ICs. They aren’t locked in to one IC PN. Note the same specs as ADATA.

The photos of the FW 16GB modules have SKhnix H5CG48AGBD (46-45-45), while Kingston’s 16GB and 32GB DDR5 5600 soDIMM (40-40-40 1.1V) have SKhynix H5CG48MEBD

Hello,

I’m also looking into the compatible memory parts.

I saw on the compatibility page about the ADATA ram : “AD5S560032G” but when looking online I could only find the “AD5S560032G-S” , would that be the same or is it another not compatible ?

Also, anyone here who tried some 32GB Ram parts, if so, which ones, and did it have any issues, I’m kinda looking for the easiest option to deal with.

Also, are there some DDR5 with the same amount of memory that are Rams absolutely superior to some others here.

I saw a lot of Kingston and Crucial suggestions, is there a reason why people chose those 2 brands (Are they much better than ADATA ?), if so is there some compatible 32GB modules in those 2 brands ?

Thanks for your help, have a nice day.

The “-S” indicates how the module is packaged. -S means packaged as a single module, usually in a plastic covering that snaps together. A “-B” on the end means in bulk, usually how a computer builder will buy modules in a large box with dividers separating the modules in ESD bags. It has nothing to do with the actual module. Thus, it is the same.

Ok, thank you very much.

I saw some offers online for “Kingston FURY Impact 64 Go Kit DDR5-5600 CL40 (KF556S40IBK2-64)” , for those of you who chose it and said it works well, was there a bit of tinkering at some point or was it just "Plug it in and everything is good " ?
(Did not see it in the official supported RAM, hence my questions.)

Skills are very rusty, with almost no contact with computer building/language/etc in the last 9 years, so I’m planning to mainly use Windows at the start an re-learn Linux progressively, which is why I’m asking those questions.

I was thinking of getting the ADATA mentionned earlier, but saw that the Kingston seemed popular here and when looking online, saw that the brand was generally better rated. How much of a difference is there between the two models ?
(If I could get the Kingston for +15/25$ instead of the ADATA, would it be worth it ?)

Thanks to anyone capable/willing to answer.

https://www.msi.com/news/detail/MSI-Motherboards-Unleash-Extreme-Power-with-Memory-Capacity-Boosted-To-256GB—142879

We are not far from FW13/16 with 128GB DRAM.

1 Like

Hi,

I got the 64gb Kingston CL40 kit (KF556S40IBK2-64) and my laptop arrived on Friday. Plugged it in and registered as 5600mhz first time without any issue. Just works perfectly without needing to change any settings at all.

Just remember that first time you boot, you will see a black screen for a while. I think it’s checking the ram and with 64gb it can take a while but just be patient.

Anywho, short answer is Kingston Fury 64gb CL40 kit works great.

4 Likes

Ok, thank you for the answer and describing your experience.
(How long would you describe “a while” , 2/5/10 mins ? )

I think I might take this one if things work that well.
I’m gonna wait ~12/24 hours and see if any other interesting feedback comes in, then make my final decision.

I think under a minute but when you’re looking at a black screen but know the device is powered on, time moves a little slowly.

2 Likes

I get that when adding RAM on any computer.

It’s true, but I added it as not everyone coming to the DIY build might have built a pc/laptop before so thought it was worth stating before people panic thst “nothing is happening” when going through first boot.

Plug in and it works.

The memory training on the newer amd platforms does take a bit longer than most people are used to so this is something that is good to know beforehand.

Thanks for the additional feedback.
I’m gonna order it soon in that case.

Have a nice day

That looks like they are talking about standard DIMMs not SO-DIMMs. I would hope SO-DIMMs are not far behind though.

1 Like

Not sure if this type has already been mentioned: My laptop arrived yesterday and works stable with a Crucial Kit (2x16GB) at 5600MHz using type CT2K16G56C46S5.

Regards
-Andi