Memory compatibility FW 13 AMD Ryzen™ 7040U series DDR5-SODIMM-5600MT/s

I was searching for the specifications for the memory modules for the AMD Ryzen 13inch laptop. Last week I ordered the DIY version without mem en storage, and it will ship in Q4. So I still have some time.
I do see:

10 Likes

I actually have exactly that Kit from Kingston here, i am in Batch 2 waiting for a 7840u DIY. Once it arrives i will check if it works and will let you know, if not i have a 100 days return policy on the store i ordered from.

5 Likes

On “About this item” on Amazon it has " “Intel XMP 3.0 Certified.” This seems to be the case for every DDR5-SODIMM 5600 kit I see listed anywhere. So the question is will XMP certified work.

The datasheet specifically says that the JEDEC Timings are DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40 so there should be no issue is my understanding. I’ve been investigating the same deal for my FW16 preorder and have come to the conclusion that this kingston kit and the crucial kit that has been suggested elsewhere will both work fine. That said we cannot be sure until people actually give it a go.

2 Likes

I’m going with this G.Skill.

The big question is what has Framework already tested and are installing in AMD mainboards.

Personally thinking the Crucial ones will work since they list only one timing in their spec sheet

I got these at a good price on prime day
I don’t know much about ram, will these be good?

1 Like

In the customer reviews they complain that the RAM uses 4800 when the Mainboard doesn’t support XMP.

1 Like

do we know yet if the AMD board supports xmp?

XMP is not supported on AMD boards as XMP is Intel specific.

Framework recommends JEDEC timings.
Source: Can anyone confirm if this RAM kit would work on the FW16? (7840HS) - #11 by nrp

I’ve been reading through the reviews and I’m not seeing people complain of this? I’ll look into it more but every review is saying they work as advertised.

2 Likes

@flovo thank you for the reply. I guess I’ll see how it goes when my fw comes.

Earlier I said i was getting the G.Skill set. The spec sheet was a bit misleading and quite vague. The “default” speed was the same as the XMP speed. I’ve decided to cancel that order and get the Kingston set instead. The spec sheet for Kingston clearly states that you get the default JEDEC timings for plug-and-play.

4 Likes

I think KVR56S46BD8 (Kingston ValueRAM) should work fine too.

I’m personally interested in the Kingston Fury as it has lower timings and it also seems to fallback to JEDEC. At least they mention JEDEC in their specification PDF.

I am getting those ram modules.

G.Skill
F5-4800S3434A16GX2-RS
Single stack
4800mghz
1,1V
CAS Latency (CL)
RAS-to-CAS-Delay (tRCD)
RAS-Precharge-Time (tRP)
Row-Active-Time (tRAS)

Should be OK.

Regarding the Crucial, Crucial’s listed speeds are only ever their JEDEC speeds afaik, here’s a quote from their website regarding why XMP/EXPO is advertised/available. I would hope framework designs their system in such a way to avoid this downclocking since EXPO is not supported.

For DDR5 modules, system-level downclocking due to a combination of BIOS, CPU, and memory architecture can, for example, result in DDR5-4800 running under DDR5-4000 specifications until XMP/EXPO is enabled.

Here is the latest on Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) DRAM compatibility. Testing is ongoing.

9 Likes

Full ECC support is not currently confirmed as compatible with non-PRO Ryzen 7040 Series mobile processors.

That seems to directly what AMD says on the product pages for the 7640U, 7840U, 7840HS, and 7940HS (all the Ryzen 7040 Series CPUs that Framework offers).

Those pages all say that the DDR5 variant (not the LPDDR5/x variants) of the CPU support ECC if the platform supports it:

ECC Support: Yes (FP7r2 only; Requires platform support)

Am I missing something or are Framework and AMD sharing contradictory information about AMD CPUs?

1 Like