Memory compatibility FW 13 AMD Ryzen™ 7040U series DDR5-SODIMM-5600MT/s

I have the kit version with two SO-DIMMs (CT2K16G56C46S5) and they work fine, at 5600MT. These are pretty basic JEDEC spec parts, so one would expect them to just work. I bought mine directly from Crucial page.

As for the performance difference against CL40 parts like the Kingston, I imagine some latency sensitive apps (mostly games) might see some difference, but I highly doubt most productivity apps will care. iGPU tends to care more about bandwidth than latency, but again, there will always be outliers.

I personally don’t care that much, and Crucial kit was… “priced right.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

With how awesome Framework is and how much work they’ve been putting into testing new BIOS updates, I feel it’s only a matter of time until this is possible.

1 Like

One can always hope…

1 Like

I can confirm that Crucial CT16G56C46S5 works perfectly on my R5 DIY.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this. Helps us figure out what we want to do.
Can you show us what speed it is running at using something like CPU-Z?

It’s running at the rated 5600 Mhz.
Here’s the output from dmidecode:

dmidecode output
Handle 0x0013, DMI type 17, 92 bytes
Memory Device
	Array Handle: 0x0011
	Error Information Handle: 0x0016
	Total Width: 64 bits
	Data Width: 64 bits
	Size: 16 GB
	Form Factor: SODIMM
	Set: None
	Locator: DIMM 0
	Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL B
	Type: DDR5
	Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
	Speed: 5600 MT/s
	Manufacturer: Unknown
	Serial Number: E770FD24
	Asset Tag: Not Specified
	Part Number: CT16G56C46S5.M8G1   
	Configured Memory Speed: 5600 MT/s
	Minimum Voltage: 1.1 V
	Maximum Voltage: 1.1 V
	Configured Voltage: 1.1 V
	Memory Technology: DRAM
	Memory Operating Mode Capability: Volatile memory
	Firmware Version: Unknown
	Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 6, Hex 0x9B
	Module Product ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Manufacturer ID: Unknown
	Memory Subsystem Controller Product ID: Unknown
	Non-Volatile Size: None
	Volatile Size: 16 GB
	Cache Size: None
	Logical Size: None
1 Like

All,
I got my Ryzen 7840U DIY unit last week and had my other components lying around for a bit:

• WD SN850X 2TB
  • 2x32GB Kingston Fury Impact (KF556S40IBK2-64) → SK Hynix dies
  • Windows 11 Pro

I can confirm that the RAM runs at 5600MT/s and CL40! This kit seems to be one of the fastest available. Highly recommended, especially this capacity. That should keep the laptop running for quite a bit.

Happy building!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the upload. After reviewing the information on the two CL40 kits available, the following screenshots from the reddit thread caused some confusion for me:

Does that mean, the G.Skill kit only runs at CL40 with XMP enabled and with JEDEC only at CL42 at best? Even though this info apparently comes from a Framework Laptop 13 user…

In order to clarify this, I’d be very much obliged :pray:, if you or somebody else would kindly upload the corresponding SPD screenshot for the Kingston Kit.

Here you go:

2 Likes

Do we know what are the timings of the Framework RAM? What performance boost would CL40 make?

I am definitely considering the 2x32GB Kingston Fury Impact (KF556S40IBK2-64). Is it a no brainer if I can get it for 100€ less than the Framework RAM?

2 Likes

IIRC the Framework ram has timings of 46-45-45.

That calculates to a CAS latency of 16.4 ns.

CL40 ram has a CAS latency of 14.3 ns.

It is a meaningful improvement, but not huge.

For 100€ less I would consider it a no brainier as it offers better performance at a lower price.

1 Like

Any thoughts on which to go for between the kingston fury impact kf556s40ibk2-64 and the Crucial 64GB Kit DDR5-5600 CL46 (CT2K32G56C46S5)

At the moment the Kingston is about 30€ cheaper than the Crucial…

1 Like

Dont know how to quote yet but these are also my 2 favorite @Matthew_Damarell. Contradicting info in rewies though, mostly claiming the Kingston doesn’t run on the full 5600 but only 4800 Mhz?

XMP yes / no /doesnt apply / Jeddec / cls 46 40

Confused beginner here :see_no_evil::woozy_face:

In addition to being cheaper, the Kingston kit is also faster. I would go for that.

1 Like

Highlight the text and a quote button will appear.

The previous generation of processors from both Intel and AMD only officially supported 4800 MT/s ram.

If you install 5600 MT/s ram into a laptop with a processor that only officially supports 4800 MT/s then the ram will be automatically slowed down to 4800 MT/s by default.

I strongly suspect that the reviews you’re seeing are from people with laptops with previous gen processors. Users have reported that on the AMD Framework 13 the Kingston 5600 MT/s modules run at the full rated 5600 MT/s.

3 Likes

Thank you :blush:

Ok. Thanks so much for your help

But wait, there’s more (another contender)

What about the G. Skill Ripjaw.?
They had an unbeatable price around 175,-
Seems they have even higher cls?

F5-5600S4645A32GX2-RS

That kit has equivalent specs to Framework’s official ram.

G.Skill also produces another kit (model number F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS for the 2x 32 GB variant), which is the only kit with as good specs as the Kingston kit afaik.

1 Like

Oh no, now I’m getting even more confused :thinking:

The only difference in those 2 I can spot is that the latter has less Cac latency (CL 40-40-40) but then supports dual-channel and is more expensive?
The one I’ve found started Cac latency with(CL 46-45-45) but doesn’t state dual-channel support but Intel XMP.

As per framework description XMP is not supported anyway but then only applies to Intel or did I get that wrong :flushed:

All ram supports dual channel. You just need 2 sticks of it and a CPU/motherboard that supports dual channel.

A lot of ram has both a default/JEDEC speed (which is a super stable and low power speed that the ram supports) and an XMP/EXPO speed (which is sometimes a much faster speed that may sacrifice stability or battery life).

When Framework says they don’t support XMP/EXPO they mean that ram with XMP/EXPO should only operate at its default/JEDEC speed when used in a Framework laptop.

Some DDR5 modules (including the ones you’re looking at) support XMP/EXPO but have an XMP/EXPO speed that is identical to its default/JEDEC speed. So the ram running at its default/JEDEC speed is fine.

The reason the ram has this is because previous generation CPUs didn’t support fast default/JEDEC speeds. So if you got 5600 MT/s ram but put it in a laptop with a previous generation CPU then it would only run at 4800 MT/s, however if you then went into the laptop settings you could enable XMP/EXPO (assuming the laptop supports those) to unlock the full speed.

7 Likes