Mod Framework Keyboard to External USB?

The fingerprint sensor is just usb, so you should be able to use it, no?

@MJ1 Iā€™m unsure. The FP reader might work, but I really only care about being able to power it on. If I can secure some time in the next week to play with wiring, I will find out.

1 Like

To update my last post, Iā€™ve made some progress in building a 3D model of the keyboard. Hereā€™s the STL file Iā€™ve come up with Body Keyboard 3.stl (76.8 KB). Iā€™ve been using Fusion360 to model the keyboard parametrically so everything fits, but perhaps there are still some adjustments to be made to the measurements. These measurements have been taken manually and tweaked manually to make the previous model cover the keys of the keyboard. It still hasnā€™t been tested over the whole keyboard, but I share them in case theyā€™re a useful starting point for anyone. Please do send my way any corrections anyone makes!

My next step would be to create a case for the whole keyboard, after which I would only need @Aryaā€™s adapter for my first prototype!

4 Likes

Minor update, I printed a bulky first case prototype and snapped a picture to share!

It still hasnā€™t been put together, and itā€™s not the most ergonomic, but I hope to iterate over it to improve a possible final product.

As you can see in the picture, I had to print the case in two parts since the build was too large to fit in my printer. I donā€™t know what mechanism would be best to hold the case and keyboard together (Iā€™m pretty new to this). I have a sheet of wood I was thinking of using for the prototypeā€™s backplate, but was still wondering how to fix the backplate to the case. For now, I have made some holes to fix both of them with screws, but Iā€™d prefer it if the final product was a bit more polished.

7 Likes

Working on it ^~^

4 Likes

Has anyone tried this yet?
Or does anyone know of a reason why this wouldnā€™t work?
Iā€™m kinda tempted to give it a go.

I bought it. The keyboard works, but touch pad is a no go. If you canā€™t get the keyboard to work trip the BT and GD and plug it in. It will pop up with a drive. Open said drive and download the zip file from the sellers store page and then drop the .uf2 file into the drive. The drive should disappear for a sec then reappear. Then the key board should work.

As far as getting the touch pad to workā€¦ I am stuck there, Iā€™ve tried reaching out to Arya/Crimeir, but havenā€™t received a response back. So the issue going forwards with qmk will be adding/reverse engineering the driver for the pixart trackpad[1][2] that is something that is outside my skill set.

I just built one too! The USB-C cable needed some scary-looking twisting to get it out of the corner of the ā€œlaptopā€. Other than that, it was relatively easy to assemble. Nothing but the input cover kit, the bottom cover kit, @Aryaā€™s wonderful controller, and a USB-C cable were needed.

As for software, I did some things to @Aryaā€™s QMK fork:

• Merged with upstream. This eliminated a weird bug where holding S, T and R emitted an extra F6 keypress, and I think this fixed the Fn+Space backlight toggle too.
  • Deleted some apparently broken FnLock state storing code.
  • Got the Caps Lock LED to work! (I can also control the power button LEDs if I find a use for them.)

My version is here.
Note: it currently swaps Ctrl and Fn. You can edit keyboards/framework_rp2040_controller/keymaps/default/keymap.c to swap them back if you like. In the same file thereā€™s also a line to uncomment if you want FnLock enabled by default.

Iā€™m unlikely to have time to look into the touchpad situation any time soon though :confused:

2 Likes

This eliminated a weird bug where holding S, T and R emitted an extra F6 keypress

Actually this still happens when holding S, T, R and I. Quite annoying when trying to type ā€œstringā€ in code.