Multiple monitor setup - built-in screen black after timeout/standby

Hi everyone, I’m not sure if this is a Framework issue or an Ubuntu issue but I thought I’d post here first as I never had this problem on my previous laptop. Hoping someone might be able to help.

FW13 13th Gen i5 DIY edition. I installed Ubuntu 24.04 onto the Lexar NM790 4TB SSD (with heatsink removed) and everything seemed to go smoothly. Running Gnome v46 using X11 (more on that later).

I use both the built-in screen of the laptop (set at 2256x1504) and a 34" LG widescreen monitor (set at 2560x1080). I use the monitor as the primary display and the laptop sits off to the side.

I’ve connected the monitor to a HDMI expansion card, in both the right rear and right front slot. I could try the left hand slots but it would take some re-jigging of my setup so if I don’t need to do that I would prefer not to.

The first issue is this - after the system either goes into screenlock or standby, the laptop monitor remains black, except for the fact that I can see the cursor moving over it. If there is a window on that screen and I click the mouse button, the window will respond (typically I have a YouTube video on that screen so I can start and stop the video by clicking, and I can hear the sound of the video playing, just can’t see anything).

Nothing I can do from that point on short of a restart will bring the laptop screen back to life. I’ve tried changing display settings, dropping to TTY and back into Gnome, logging out and logging back in.

This doesn’t happen all the time, and I can’t for the life of me work out why it happens some times and not others. Is there somewhere in the logs to look for this?

The second issue is that sometimes the LG monitor will lose it’s resolution - it’s set at 2560x1080 as standard, but after returning from screenlock or standby it will have a maximum resolution of 1024x768. Again, nothing short of a restart will correct it.

I’m using X11 instead of Wayland as I have 3 other computers (all Windows boxes) that I frequently switch between so I’m using Barrier as a soft KVM and it only supports X11.

I have been using this setup with Ubuntu installed on an Acer Swift laptop for the past 4 years (20.04 and 22.04) and it worked like a charm.

Can anyone suggest how I can start chasing this down? Thanks in advance.

I should have added that Ubunutu is reporting the LG monitor as a 29" monitor, not a 34" as shown in the screenshot:

Screenshot from 2024-07-26 12-08-10