Names For Laptop(s)

I have had a lot of ideas for device names for some time now. I always thought it would be funny to have the different versions of Burton Guster’s spelling from the show Psych. The ongoing joke of everyone misspelling his name was always funny and it would be even better to have a ton of devices with slightly different names such as “Burton Gaster” or my favorite, “Gurton Buster.” Another idea I had was to go through all the names that were given to the frog in the mini series Over the Garden Wall. The show was very short, but the one pet in the show was given different names until the very last scene of the show. I ultimately went with naming my Framework “Shelia.” It was mainly a reference to the YouTube show Red vs Blue, where there was a tank that was nicknamed Shelia. Thought it was good to give my brand new, beast workhouse of a laptop such an eloquent name.

1 Like

My daily driver laptop, the 1.67GHz PowerBook G4, is called Henry Benbridge because it came from Virginia and the high resolution (1440x960) display makes the visuals something interesting about it, so I went with a Virginian painter. My 900MHz iBook G3 is called Cloud Nine because it’s a pretty good Mac OS 9 laptop. My 333MHz PowerBook G3 is called Donatello because Donatello worked with bronze and the model’s name is the “Bronze Keyboard” (or “Lombard,” the name of a group of Germanic-speaking people who lived in Italy in the 7th century CE).
I’ve named my desktops as such: For Parts Only is my iMac G5 – pretty simple, it was being sold as effectively scrap because the prior owner installed Debian on it. It worked perfectly otherwise. Oddball is my Power Mac G4 450MHz because it was bought dramatically underspecced in 2000. Aleister Crowley is my dual 450MHz because its codename was “Mystic”. Sequoyah is my dual 800MHz because Sequoyah (the guy) worked with silver, and the computer was named the Quicksilver model because of its new silver case.
I haven’t named any of my other computers, I always just refer to either their CPU (“My Pentium II”) or their make and model (“My Dell Inspiron 2200”).
It’s at this point that I realize I need to cut down on how many computers I have, I’m just too sentimental to be able to decide which ones.

2 Likes