Names For Laptop(s)

So I like to name my things, and I have a long history of naming electronics after fictional robots, androids, cyborgs, etc. My last laptop was named after a Star Wars droid (HK-47).

I’m already daydreaming of potential names for my future Framework. I’m leaning towards GLaDOS or straying from theme a little and naming it after Mitchell Hundred.

Any of you name your laptops? Or have any robot name suggestions?

7 Likes

I call mine Mainframe as a throwback to an old TV show I watched as a kid, Reboot.

For those in the know, I imagine sprites like Bob and Dot Matrix running around saving my computer from the viruses outside. Lucky for them, I don’t game on my Framework, so the city of Mainframe should be pretty safe. No nulls here.

6 Likes

I’m setting my host name to “theseus” as in “The Ship of Theseus”. It seemed appropriate.

12 Likes

I think I call mine… Jim? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

“Let’s call it Steve” Let’s call it Steve - Over The Hedge - YouTube

1 Like

My laptops have all had the hostname of the planets in the order that I got them. Removable hard drives are given names for moons around the planet that’s my current daily driver.

The problem is Pluto should be next, but that’s “not a planet” anymore… What to do, what to do…

4 Likes

All of my computers run with the prefix SYSTEM, my desktop is SYSTEM - CORE for example, and my old laptop went by TERMINAL. My new Framework is simply SYSTEM - FRAMEWORK

3 Likes

I’m trying to come up with an Archer-themed name for my laptop. My Desktop is Woodhouse; my wifi network is Poovey Farms Racing. I haven’t come up with a good one for my laptop yet.

2 Likes

All my named devices are after characters from the Warriors Cats series. My framework is Graystripe

5 Likes

I picked up this habit from a friend of mine, all devices are named after Twinborn from the 2nd era of Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series (The Wax & Wayne books).

Bloodmaker, Ghostwalker, Hazedodger, etc.

The books only ever name “Crasher” as a twinborn name, but the TTRPG from Crafty games has a whole big list of them.

1 Like

I always name my computers after Lord of the Rings characters or locations.

My main desktop is Sauron. My TrueNAS is Minas Tirith because that’s where there was a great library storing information. A small little workstation was Bilbo and another small old workstation was Frodo.

My original laptop, being powerful but not quite as powerful as Sauron was Saruman.

When I told my naming scheme to my wife, she said since my Framework would be my new best friend and most faithful companion, I should name it Samwise Gamgee. So I did.

10 Likes

I name all my computers with Biscuit, I just like how it sounds haha, the Framework is called ModularBiscuit, my PC is RipperBiscuit (it’s the Ryzen chip).

2 Likes

I haven’t thought of a name for my incoming Framework laptop yet, but I might make it Promare related. Our VR rig is rainbow vomit, and I love the movie Promare, so we named it “Galo de Leon.”

1 Like

I used to name my computers after kitchen appliances, (i.e. my small form factor PC from college was Toaster-Oven because we weren’t allowed a toaster oven in the dorm and the case looked like a toaster oven; my current desktop is built in a Cooler Master MasterBox Q500L, looks like a top-loading washing machine, and is called Washing-Machine,) however I think it’s time for a change.
The Framework Laptop doesn’t exactly look like something you’d put in a kitchen. I’ve gone the pragmatic route and named it framework-win and framework-lin for Windows and Linux, respectively.

2 Likes

My desktop is Nora. My Framework is Jenny-XJ9.

My Life as a Teenage Robot was pretty fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The problem is that “Crasher” is a terrible name for a computer!

3 Likes

List of nearest exoplanets - Wikipedia? Or List of proper names of exoplanets - Wikipedia?

1 Like

Mine’s not a throwback, but is also named Mainframe :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve started doing the same thing! Haven’t bought a framework yet (planning to in June, when I’m in the US), but my current laptop is “Galileo” and I’m thinking I might name the framework one “da Vinci”.

Those names seem related, though I’m not sure of a solid classification-- maybe historical scientists?

1 Like

Something meaningful to me that, out of an abundance of caution, I will not post on an open message board.

Seriously?