Niche expansion cards

LTE card that supports high speed. better range then a phone would be a plus. For those of us who work out in a field in remote areas we always fight for connection

1 Like

An expansion card which contains a tiny, built- in mouse.

The HP Omnibook did this back in the day; It just slots into the side of the casing:

Not even wireless! No modern laptop has this, you are forced to use track-pads or bring an external mouse with you.

10 Likes

I’d like a security key expansion card.

I currently have a yubikey usb a into a usb A expansion bay. It sits pretty flush.

Not as flush as a security key designed for the expansion bay would be. It could have a metal capacitive surface for the touch input.

a tiny, wireless built-in mouse.
I can make that work!

1 Like

To add to that: they suck up to 25 W, which is the equivalent of a second CPU worth of power consumption. Heat dissipation is going to be the primary concern though assuming the power problem is moot (i.e., the laptop will be plugged in).

Some U.2 drives (e.g, Micron 7100) require just 9 W average and can be configured with a power draw cap (e.g., 4 W for a Micron 7100). For comparison, M.2 drives are typically capped at 11.5 W and typically draw far less peak power. It’s interesting to note that Sabrent’s blog post addressing the power draw limits of M.2 notes that in a future spec, M.2 may get its power draw limit lifted to 30 W for the sake of power-hungry PCIe 5.0 SSDs.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook
What do you think ?

1 Like

If you are planning for a large enough volume to do custom tooling, your product will have copyright issues with Apple.

1 Like

@Josh_Cook Yes I might if I’m selling them right ? But if I don’t, how can I have copyright issues only by creating a 3D design of it?

You’ve got a couple issues at hand: patent and trademark:

Unless permitted by the patent owner, one commits patent infringement by making, using, offering to sell, or selling something that contains every element of a patented claim or its equivalent while the patent is in effect. source

Apple’s patent status on MagSafe 3 is not immediately clear, but it’s almost certain that at least some part of it is covered by one of their patents.

The second issue will be one of Trademark infringement. Apple owns the trademark to “MagSafe”, so using that that term to refer to a product, even a free one that you are not selling, would be trademark infringement.

I’m not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I highly recommend you get advice from a lawyer before continuing to avoid running afoul of Apple’s big team of lawyers.

4 Likes

small laser distance measuring device.
all kind of sensor, like temperature, humidity, air pressure

How about smart home hubs like Zigbee, ZWave, etc?

Small RISC-V cpu Expansion Card

2 Likes

@0xN1C0 US9991657B2 - Magnetic adapter - Google Patents might cover something like this; it’s a patent from apple for a magsafe female to usb-c male adapter

1 Like

USB Killer Expansion

It kills the laptop when plugged in.
That is all

2 Likes

I don’t have very weird ones, but a few I might use/make myself

• An expansion bay with a Wemos D1 mini inside. I develop a lot for wemos D1 mostly wifi (MQTT, HTTPS, web-pages, ntfy messaging) and I have a board hanging from the USB port, so it would be nice to put in a bay for development. Wifi antenna could still be decent if the casing is plastic. GPIO pins can be covered, never use it during development.
  • VGA for the poor folks that have no HDMI monitor
  • Full size SD card (this is serious, I need it for camera/3D printer)

Framework is working on a full size SD card reader. They have announced it a few weeks ago in a blog post and the development will be documented in a series of YouTube videos.

Christian_Kaser

4h

Framework is working on a full size SD card reader. They have announced it a few weeks ago in a blog post and the development will be documented in a series of YouTube videos.
[/quote]

There have been a couple of projects in this community to fit an available full SD reader into an expansion card. A quick search should fine them. I think they are what spurred FW to investigate doing their own one seeing that these could fit the connector.

1 Like

I pickup up one of these on eBay. It was supposed to be a 4.5mm one, but it is actually a 7.4mm one. Yet to try it out. Have investigated disassembling it, but it seems to be well glued up.

1 Like

You can pick similar/opposite converters, way smaller too, for different brands from third parties. I have one for an old HP laptop I own that chargers only with barrel and now I can charge with a generic 65W usbc charger.

How about a chopstick holder card? I can image a mechanism simular to extensible cup holders in cars. You push onto it and it unfolds two donuts.
Why you might ask? Well I really like eating asian takeout foods while working and this would make it more practical.