Niche expansion cards

Fair enough, but the Analog Discovery 2 is (quoting the linked website) an “Oscilloscope, Waveform Generator, Logic Analyzer, Protocol Analyzer, Spectrum Analyzer, Power Supplies”. Something like a Bus Pirate is totally doable, if you go with SMT components.

1 Like

Ah, like a CSR USB programming tool.
But that’s not a logical analyzer?
That would be the Digital Discovery

And, to be fair, there is not a lot of reason to include the observing circuitry inside the expansion card and requiring users to attach something to a high density connector, rather than just make a box and attach it via USB, since they are going to be attached via USB anyway.

If you do want a USB programming tool, my argument would be that there are 100 different microchip manufacturers each with their own proprietary programming protocol/interface. Atmel Studio, for example. CSR flash. ARM developer studio. Ti’s Code Composer Studio.

It will be very helpful if we have a generic … something, like a USB to RS232/COM or USB to LPT for monitoring actual digital signals.

Don’t think there’s enough space for it, but retractable cables are cool!

2 Likes

RTL-SDR a software tuneable wideband radio
HDMI ENCODER for live stream input

3 Likes

GPS and ANT

For those of us into back country technology, the ANT protocol is a common method for communicating between a GPS and a PC.
(Especially Garmin devices) This is usually a usb dongle. If someone makes an ANT expansion card, then maybe a GPS chip can also be incorporated. For mapping applications, it is often nice for the software to know where you are.

2 Likes

Just had a look into it, I cannot seem to find any direct USB to ANT it seems, the only way to get to ANT is through a serial bridge. Even then I cannot find a chip that will transmit ANT signals.

Yep, but I need the chip inside.

A miniature fidget toy with buttons on the side and the bottom.

3 Likes

It could actually work with hardware like this:

With some additional software, and keyboard+mouse output, it could also work as KVM. It would probably look like a VNC Viewer window.

1 Like

That should be possible with this hardware:
https://www.amazon.de/Schnellladeauslöser-Detektor-Notebook-Wechselplatine-Adaptation/dp/B08FD6381L/

Here is a video explanation:

Ok, who wants one with TWO USB A ports to make up for all the wasted space on the cards?

6 Likes

Two USB-A ports have been suggested, but maybe not enough room, allowing for cable surrounds.

I know it has already been mentioned, but I am definitely in support of some sort of capture card. I might crack open my Genki Shadowcast to get an idea of what it’s using for the encoder since the only open source offering has an encoder that is a bit too big to fit into an expansion card. If I can find a widely available chip I’ll probably start on a PCB.

2 Likes

Maybe a stub-out base which could be compatible with the existing Framework topcover/display kit… So you could add a screen to either side of your laptop…

A battery extender could be useful

1 Like

It would be very interesting to have a secondary wifi connector… So you could connect to two wifi networks to maximize bandwidth.

1 Like

In my opinion a small battery expansion could be useful. Like it wouldn’t do a lot but just imagine seeing your laptop about to die plugging in a small battery pack that would give you 5-10 min of life so you can save whatever your working on then turn it off till you can charge it again. It wouldn’t be useful 99% of the time but oh boy that 1% has caused me a lot of stress in the past.

2 Likes

It would be cool to see a USB-C hub that plugs in via an expansion card.

They have talked about trying to do a dual Type-C card.
The issue was fitting the controller etc required for the ports.

How about an “Paranoid A” expansion card that offers just a regular USB-A port, but with a circuit that acts as an USB-Bridge that only accept a mass storage class device and only routes such a device through to the Framework laptop.

This way, you could be sure that if you get some USB memory stick to “quickly grab some data” you’re safe from bogus devices that just camouflage as memory sticks, but act e.g. as a keyboard trying to remote control your system, like such:

Bonus points would be:

• card could be inserted upside-down to get a full USB-A port supporting all devices (by mapping/wiring the redundant upper and lower wire connection of the internal USB-C port to two different USB-A bridges/controllers? I’m not an electronics guy <:)
  • LED indicator signalling any connected USB device is (green) or is not (red) a legit mass storage device

What do guys think? Worth it?

3 Likes