October/Batch 4 Thread

This is is me right now, I ordered last week. The anticipation is killing me lol

3 Likes

Finally, a new thread to check several times a day while waiting for my confirmation email! Ordered an i5-1135G7 model with Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro, a BYO 2x8 DDR4-3200 G.Skill kit, and a 500GB SK Hynix M.2 on September 17th. Going to finally try running Linux on something for daily use and install Mint when it finally arrives. I’m excited to wait with y’all, hopefully for not too much longer!

1 Like

Batch 4, ordered Sept. 8th, bouncing between “Iwantthatgimmenow!” and “Framewhatnow?”:

• i7-1165G7
  • 2x USB-C Ports
  • 1x USB-A Port
  • 1x 1TB Drive

Meant to replace my main machine, a 2017 Dell Precision 5510 that died on a super-humid Atlanta day (blink code might indicate a fried mobo, can’t find a replacement on the cheap). Originally looked at getting a 2021 Dell, pivoted when I learned I could avoid past mistakes and buy a system designed for easy broken/outdated subsystem replacing! I’m entertaining the idea of eventually fitting a Framework mainboard into the Precision 5510 shell, too, if I can get it to talk to the keyboard, trackpad, and monitor…

That said, I’m scavenging the SSD, RAM, and WiFi modules out of the Precision 5510. My second monitor uses USB-C. Unsure what I’ll use the 1TB drive for. Work requires that I run Win10, which I’ll install alongside Debian+GNOME.

My wish list includes a black interior to the laptop, a 15" (or even 17") monitor, a 360° hinge, a larger battery, and faster delivery, though obviously none of those were dealbreakers. Excited to see what new expansion cards come out, and, well, just generally where this company and idea are heading. So glad they’re pulling it off!

Thrilled with the expansion card system, though it would’ve been great if cards could occupy more than one slot (e.g. set the guiderail through the top of the card, no laptop material separating slots, 4 (or perhaps 6 or 8 if possible) USB-C slots per side, and set the size of a single slot to the minimum needed for, say, a USB-A card). I’ve already printed an enclosure and shoved in a Serpente R2 and a 22-pin Berg header so’s I’ll have a microcontroller expansion card on Day 1 :sunglasses: I’ll post a how-to thread on these forums once I have my laptop in hand and can validate the design… Iwantthatgimmenow!!!

5 Likes

Good thing you started this thread @AdamIsrael, because if you didn’t, I was going to! :grin: Also because there’s even a batch 5 thread.

Ordered September 5th. Batch 4 for me:

Core i7-1165G7
2 X 8GB RAM (I could have saved $30 buying separately but I only know that now, it needs DDR4-3200 native with no XMP)
Omitted SSD, I found a 1TB WD SN850 at a subtantially lower price separately.
AX210 no vPro. It was a great price.
Original power adapter
2 X USB-C expansion cards
2 X USB-A expansion cards

When they ask I may omit the RAM and power supply in favour of getting my own RAM and this charger. Hope that won’t delay the order.

Oh also thinking of adding a thin copper heatspeader over the M.2.

1 Like

Been counting the days to October lol
I5 1135g7
Byo 16gb ram
Byo 500gb ssd
Byo wifi6
2x usb c
2x usb a
1x hdmi
Like apparently quite a few people, I was gonna run windows, but win11 pushed me to Linux, gonna run pop! Os

1 Like

Configuration

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Storage: 250GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™

Fears

• Am I going to have problems with the HiDPI display in Gnome? I’ve avoided HiDPI for years. Life is a lot easier when I don’t have to deal with scaling issues. Maybe things have gotten better. (Oh, crap. This is bad.)

Update

Ok, I bailed. Seems like the HiDPI situation in Linux is still bad. I don’t have time to tinker these days. Just gonna go with a regular DPI display from elsewhere. Enjoy my spot. :wave:

I’m also waiting patiently for batch 4 to ship. The relatively shoddy repair work I’ve done to my T480 finally failed and now the NVMe storage controller no longer works. Might as well get a Framework laptop so I thought.

DIY Edition

• i7-1165G7
  • 2x USB-C
  • 2x USB-A
  • 1x HDMI
  • 1x MicroSD

Ordered August 6th. been a long wait, and it looks like I was about the earliest order that got bounced to batch 4 for the i5.

Original order (August 6):
DIY Kit
i5 1135G7
1 x 8GB RAM
SN750 SSD (500GB)
Non-vPro WiFI
2 x USB-C
1 x USB-A
1 x HDMI
1 x DP

emailed support a few weeks later, got another 8GB RAM added on Aug 23, then emailed again September 9 to add an additional USB-A and a MicroSD card reader (since it looks like the marketpalce wasn’t going up any time soon)

I have one day until I can start asking, “Where Framework?”

1 Like

Ordered Sept 18th and I don’t know if I’ve ever been so excited to have my account charged as I am for when the order gets ready for shipping :laughing:. Been years since I had a laptop worth using (a Dell I bought in 2007 for university), and it’ll be nice to have something more mobile than my desktop again.

DIY with:

• i7-1165G7
  • 32 GB (16x2)
  • Wifi no vPro
  • 1TB SN750

Expansion cards:

• 1 HDMI
  • 2 USB-A (I don’t have a ton of USB-C devices yet)
  • 1 MicroSD (get those pics off my DSLR quickly)
  • 2 USB-C
  • 250 GB storage

Planning on running Windows off the NVMe, since that’s what I use day-to-day, and have yet to decide on a Linux distro to install on the expansion. I might test drive a few for a while, as I’ve only really used Ubuntu thus far.

I’m hoping I can get it set up so that it normally just boots into Windows without going through a bootloader, and just plug in the expansion and change the boot priority in the BIOS for the times when I want to switch it over to being a Linux system for a while.

I ordered on 22 August. And I guess it’s finally getting close now. I’ll have to see where I end up in Batch 4.

Order:
DIY Version
i5-1135G7
WiFi
16GB RAM (2 x 8GB)

2 USB-C
2 USB-A
1 HDMI
1 Power Adapter

Still trying to decide if I’ll put some kind of Linux on it or just go with Windows like I’m used to.

Ordered an i5 DIY way back on July 29th. Must have been right after Batch 3 was filled. A long wait.

2 Likes

Interesting. I came close to ordering mine a day or two before I actually did and thought I saw that batch 3 was still up for DIY i5 kits. Your order date proves me wrong. I’m glad the wait is nearly over

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
SK Hynix P31 Gold 1TB

Expansion Cards

3 USB-A
2 USB-C
1 HDMI
1 Display Port

Power Adapter - US/Canada

Ordered it September 23rd, so it looks like I made the cut for Batch 4 since it just sold out!

Also a DIY in batch 4, ordered September 8th.
Core i5
1x 32GB
1TB WD SN850

Cards:
1x HDMI, DP, USB-A
3x USB-C

2x RAM sticks is ideal, but maybe some day I’ll need or want to upgrade to 2x32GB… Or maybe I’ll give in and just upgrade the order when the batch warning goes out.

I’ll be dual booting Linux and Windows, since I daily Linux but use Adobe products and Fusion 360 for hobby stuff. It’ll be really nice to have a portable machine that can reasonably run those. I’ve run Debian basically forever, so I was a little worried when they said that the laptop really needs a 5.11+ kernel and Stable and Testing were both still on 5.10 – but now Debian’s on 5.14. But maybe I’ll try a different distro just to be adventurous?

I know that we all signed up for the batch system, and I don’t expect anything more than what we’re getting, but the radio silence is keeping me on the edge of my seat!

I’m also in batch 4.
I guess I’m a lucky guy. I ordered mine on September 27.
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1185G7 (I thought that this cpu would be ordered the least)
2 USB-A | 1 HDMI | 1 MicroSD | 1 DP | 3 USB-C | 1 Storage – 1TB | 2x16 GB

1 Like

I’m in batch 3 but that thread got lonley. Can I join this boat?

6 Likes

Can’t wait!

DIY ordered Sep 23, 2021.

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • BYO RAM (Probably will max it at 32GB)
  • BYO NVMe SSD (Probably at least a 512GB, maybe a 1TB)

Wanted an array of slots to have with me in my laptop bag:

• 2 USB-C
  • 2 USB-A
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 DP
  • 1 MicroSD

This will be 100% linux. Will be installing Elementary OS most likely.

1 Like

Ordered 16SEP2021
Config
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
SSD: BYO 256GB
Wifi card: BYO

Cards:
HDMI (1)
Micro SD (1)
USB-C (2)
USB-A (2)
Storage: 256GB (1)

Ordered early September.

• DIY i5
  • WiFi (non-VPro)
  • 16 GB RAM (dual)
  • BYO Storage
  • Power adapter
  • 2 USB C, 2 USB A, 1 MicroSD, 1 HDMI

Gonna set up Arch on it as soon as it arrives. Can’t wait!

1 Like

I ordered September 9! Waiting eagerly. So very eagerly.

• DIY
  • i5-1135G7
  • Wi-Fi non-VPro
  • BYO Storage and RAM (Gonna use 1 stick of 16GB G.Skill for upgrade later, and a 1TB WD Black)
  • Power adaptor
  • 2 USB-C, 3 USB-A, 1 HDMI

Gonna be my first real Linux experience. Going with Mint, I think. Looking forward to get into the nittygritty! It’s a modest system, but one I am so excited for. Definitely gonna be a good replacement for my Ryzen 3500U Lenovo Ideapad!

1 Like