October/Batch 4 Thread

Batch 3 didn’t start getting preparing/shipping notifications for about a week into the month (after the previous batch started wrapping up) and it was staggered throughout the month, so it’ll probably be the same here. I’m expecting mid October to early November for most of us to have something in hand.

1 Like

I get the impression the team is stretched pretty thin at the moment. There aren’t a lot of them and Nirav was handling a lot of the communication himself. His latest posts have been sporadic and at unusual hours. Suddenly they’re looking at a Community Manager. Burnout is real and the job of running your own startup selling such complex and expensive products in the midst of a labour crisis with the goal of changing the world is no mean feat.

It’s always nice to have issues addressed directly by the founder/CEO but as companies get bigger they have other duties to perform.

And now that more units are getting into the hands of users, problems are appearing that they’re tackling. Minor teething problems compared to most new startup products of this nature, but problems nevertheless, and it’s probably taking the time of every last one of them.

6 Likes

Indeed @Fraoch and I do understand they might be underwater, and honestly I rather acts than words so if they’re focused on getting their products in our hands that’s just marvelous.

Lets see how October will unveil for FW :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Fraoch Do you know how long they have been looking for a community manager? I thought I seen a post from one of the Framework crew talking about it.

I’m surprised nobody is filling those positions up because it looks like the majority is remote-able work so your options for smart people are limitless.

But you’re right, I have seen issues pop up and replacements being sent out as some people are having issues. Hopefully they get those bugs ironed out or at least the community provides guides for the software side of things.

2 Likes

@Fraoch, I think the majority obtained their laptop and have moved on to greener pastures. This is why the thread is so quiet now.

2 Likes

8 days:

I’m surprised nobody is filling those positions up because it looks like the majority is remote-able work so your options for smart people are limitless.

Early days yet but there is a labour shortage and there’s a lot of companies competing for a few people. I’d apply but I live in Canada.

2 Likes

Still lots of questions directed at Nirav. I saw some responses timestamped 1AM EDT this morning (i.e. 11PM PDT Sunday night ) so that might give you an idea.

It’s his company, and it looks to be an overwhelming success, but I’m sure some help is needed.

2 Likes

Immensely looking forward to this! Doing a pretty standard build with the only special bits being upgrading to i7-1165 and also not buying a Windows license (looking forward to dabbling with Linux desktops/distros for the first time - I’ve got some cli experience with Linux servers and figured I’d take the full plunge with this machine).

Went with two USB-A + 2 USB-C connectors and debating whether I want others. I have a USB C hub already that has external monitor docks, I might just carry that around in lieu of buying a dedicated HDMI/DP/microSD etc…

Agree with Framework being busy and I’m totally unconcerned with thread replies or lack thereof!

3 Likes

My bet is we will see the “preparing to ship batch 4” email on Friday. that marks about a full work week into the month of October, which is about the same as the initial email for Batch 3.

2 Likes

Just be careful, XMP is not supported on the motherboard for DRAM. Here is the link to the knowledge base on supported DRAM.

4 Likes

I bought a TeamGroup TED432G3200C22DC-S01 kit. How do I find out if it requires XMP to reach 3200MHz?

I placed my order Sept 4th with the following configuration:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 500GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™

Expansion Cards

• 3 USB-C
  • 1 USB-A
  • 1 MicroSD
  • 1 HDMI

I will be running ubuntu. My current personal device is a macbook pro 15" from 2012, but the battery has been dying extremely quickly lately, and I hate apple. I was hesitant about ubuntu but recently was issued a computer from work that is running it and it is so awesome. I was also debating whether or not to get a pinebook before I heard about this, but they are all sold out. As soon as I heard about framework I had to buy one because I want the thing, but also I really want companies with this kind of ethos to succeed and prevail.

1 Like

Well this party filled up quickly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DIY Core i5 (ordered 9/9)
2x USBC
1x USBA
1x MicroSD
BYO RAM/SSD (undecided what I will buy for these but no less than 16GB/1TB)

Zorin OS16 is my favorite Linux of the moment.

You should be fine. they’re heavily mentioning “jedec” on the amazon page, and the q&a section. that means the ddr4 3200 profile will run natively, without needing the xmp ‘overclock’

2 Likes

Another clue is the standard JEDEC timing of DDR4-3200 at CL22. XMP RAM will have different (better) timing at 3200. But CL22 is “standard”.

Note “DDR4-3200AA” is “22-22-22”.

The person who reported a Batch 4 delivery on reddit later apologized after realizing the delivery was actually a Batch 3 order.

1 Like

Just got my “Preparing to ship your batch” email!! It’s happening!

14 Likes

Great, now I won’t get any work done today while I stare at my email inbox hitting refresh :sweat_smile:

EDIT: Received my email…OK back to work!

5 Likes

I just got it as well (Ordered Sep 22)!

5 Likes

Me too! :smiley: I can’t wait.

2 Likes