October/Batch 4 Thread

Howdy Batch 4! Excited to get my framework :slight_smile:

Ordered this DIY configuration on Sept. 7th:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™

I don’t have many needs for special I/O, I just went with 2x USB-C, 2x USB-A, 1x DisplayPort and 1x HDMI.

Currently my plan is to put vanilla Arch on this. I mostly need this machine for scientific computing, so I really just need something that won’t break my anaconda environments + can have a billion papers open at the same time. I think this’ll do just fine.

My fellow B4s,

Specs for my order were:

• DIY i5
  • Non-vPro AX210
  • Type C Card x 2
  • Type A Card
  • HDMI Card
  • 250GB Storage Card

I got or am getting the following:

• Crucial 32GB x 1
  • SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB
  • Via Matte Screen Protector
  • Dbrand Skin or something similar

My Framework laptop will live happily ever after with my M1 MacBook until my Macbook dies a premature death.

Why not go dual-channel?

1 Like

I’m gonna guess he just wants to add another ram stick later.

2 Likes

I was planning on getting 16GB x 2 but it was on sale at Newegg a few days ago. So I got it and will add another 32GB in the future when the need arises.

1 Like

Damn Reddit. Was hopeful there for a minute. Well, it’s October and so it won’t be too much longer now.

Ha, can we get Batch 4 badges?

4 Likes

Fraoch

We need badges! B4 represent!

2 Likes

Oh man I am worried that my i5 DIY is going to be right at the end of the month :(. I reserved in the second week of September.

• DIY i5
  • Non-vPro AX210
  • Type C Card x 2
  • Type A Card x 2
  • HDMI

Purchased Elsewhere:

• 2 x 8gig Crucial 3200 memory
  • Samsung 980 512gb SSD
  • Nekteck 60w charger

ORDERED AUGUST 2ND.
CAN’T ARRIVE SOON ENOUGH.

1 Like

Hello Batch-4 peeps!! I’m another LTT fan who found this lovely laptop, but was too late for batch-3 of the DIY edition.

Config
• CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
• Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
• Storage: 500GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe
• Operating System: Windows 10 Home (Download)
• WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro

Expansion Cards
• 2x USB-A
• 1 USB-C
• 1 HDMI

I can hardly wait to have a nice, portable laptop for taking to class and programming outside of my dorm occasionally. I’ve half a mind to throw Ubuntu on it just to play around with Linux finally, but we’ll see

• Forgot to mention, I ordered on July 29th

Hello All!

Can’t believe October is finally here, I ordered mine on July 30th. I haven’t bought a new laptop since 2013. I’ll be running POP_OS on it, since Windows 11 does nothing for me, and I want to use it as a test to daily Linux in hopes to move my main desktop over to Linux as well.

My configure is:

• DIY i5-1135G7
  • Wi-Fi 6E AX210
  • 2x USB-A
  • 2x USB-C
  • MicroSD
  • HDMI
  • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
  • 1TB Samsung 980

The ram and SSD I bought separate and I know are a bit overkill but oh well. :smiley:

I’m really rooting for Framework and everything it stands for it and hope to support it as much as I can.

The thing with RAM - Linux will always find a use for all of it. :grin: I upgraded from 16GB to 32GB in my desktop and although usage didn’t go up, buffer and cache did:

$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       32799116     6547676     8801236      142628    17450204    25644160
Swap:      39343100           0    39343100

As for the SSD, 1TB is the performance and cost/GB sweet spot due to high density flash ICs and the number of channels in current controllers. That’s definitely the case for the WD SN850 I have waiting for the Framework. I don’t need 1TB but it’s not inordinately expensive and it doesn’t hurt. Amazingly, around here, the current favourite SK Hynix Gold P31 costs more.

1 Like

I’m a bit shocked to hear that some of the people in here ordered way back in July and still haven’t received theirs. I would say two months is definitely pushing the limits a little bit. Anyways I believe Framework has a super bright future. Just need to get those products shipping. I guess COVID and supply chain issues don’t help.

I was just reading that future Pinebook Pros are delayed indefinitely - some of their components are on 40 week backorders and one is on a 60 week backorder!

Given that and other indications all over, the Framework team didn’t do too badly!

Yeah as one of the July orders I’m not really surprised. Even some bike parts are on backorder until December. We’re amidst a historic parts shortage, anyone who has shopped for desktop parts in the last year can attest to this…

On that note, to the people who ordered late, I suspect shipping time has less to do with an order’s position within a batch and more parts availability depending on chosen configuration. At least, if I were Framework I’d push complete orders out the door rather than hold up everyone’s shipment if some were waiting on a particular component. In the last thread some were speculating storage modules were causing delays but that might have been coincidence.

2 Likes

:frowning:

3 Likes

Yo yo yo this is ABQ… Lol

Kidding… Batch 4 DIY with:

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 vPro®

Expansion Cards

• 1 MicroSD
  • 1 USB-A
  • 2 USB-C

Waiting for it to be relayed to a shipping service that will then do the necessary to kick it to my corner of the world :slight_smile:

Hope it will be here soon… But not keeping hopes too high atm because of all the shortage on chips… My Spectre will do until then.

2 Likes

Focusing good vibes towards the supply chain gods :pray:

7 Likes

I had been eyeing the Framework laptop since the first Adam Savage Tested video came out. The DIY i5 models Batch 2 (August Shipment) already sold out before the reviews came out and after the reviews Batch 3 filled up quickly (my fault for not pulling the trigger sooner). If they only had a certain amount to allocate per batch then not much they can do about that.

It actually hasn’t bothered me any since I won’t be charged the full amount till the laptop ships. They also are proving they are shipping a good quality product and I think what Framework is doing is well worth the wait. If this was a big company or if they had no communication I would be frustrated but they have been doing good so I’m ok with the wait. I’m also personally in no desperate need for a laptop, but I’m still super excited for it to get here already. :smiley:

1 Like